General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the prizemoney allocation is just completely stupid. Ecclestone going will be the best thing to happen to the sport since he took over f1 management. He did a hell of a job making it relevant again but his approach just isn't going to cut it in the modern world. Have never seen a man so hell bent on being the only person making money out of something, he just couldn't understand the concept that others making money would help him make money. I'm just hoping that they don't sit on their hands until 2020 to change things up

Yeah, I raised my eyebrows when I read that the new owners were keeping Ecclestone on as an emeritus advisor but then I convinced myself it was so they could say "Bernie... what would you do here?" and then do the complete opposite.

He shits me in the same way Eddie McGuire does... thinking that the inherent value of an entity lies first in its economic viability with a complete disregard for the emotional currency. That's just not how most fans look at sport.

A 50 run partnership where Hazlewood didn't face a ball then gets run out for a diamond duck for his first dismissal in ODIs while Stoinis ends 146 not out after Australia being 6/60 falling 6 runs short... What more could you ask for in a game? (Other than Australia sneaking a win...)

Considering how putrid Stoinis had been with the bat in the big bash and arguably shouldn't have even been selected, it was an amazing knock and one that probably deserved the win.

Loved Edberg, but Mats Wilander was my favourite player of all players as a kid growing up. Penfors and Gustaffason were good too. The Swedish contingent of players in the 80's and early 90's were amazing.

Ivan Llendl back then was what Djokovic is to me today; unlikable and robotic as others have described; but each to their own on that one.

Loved Wilander too and his battles with Pat Cash.

The Swedes in the crowd were also a real fixture of Australian summer back then too.

I'm a massive Murray and Djokovic hater, personally. Both are good tennis players, sure. But what bothers me is that they're both extraordinary athletes who've flourished at a time when courts are reportedly much slower than they have been in the past. Some of the things Djokovic in particular does at times verge on the unnatural, watching him pull off his rubber man routine for hours on end is quite bizarre. Not to mention all his dietary and training 'innovations' that he's always coming up with. Thank * they both lost early in the tournament this year, another Murray/Djokovic return-a-thon isn't really something I'll ever be keen on watching again.

I'm a massive Murray and Djokovic hater, personally. Both are good tennis players, sure. But what bothers me is that they're both extraordinary athletes who've flourished at a time when courts are reportedly much slower than they have been in the past. Some of the things Djokovic in particular does at times verge on the unnatural, watching him pull off his rubber man routine for hours on end is quite bizarre. Not to mention all his dietary and training 'innovations' that he's always coming up with. Thank **** they both lost early in the tournament this year, another Murray/Djokovic return-a-thon isn't really something I'll ever be keen on watching again.
So you prefer courts that suit servebots and ball bashers? Hate that argument. Slow courts are the best for long, entertaining rallies. It's not like you can't serve and volley to win points either, Federer has already shown that.

Also, to be fair, Stan Wawrinka very nearly overtaken Andy Murray as the fourth best player this era. He's had all of his success on the supposedly "slow courts" yet plays more explosive tennis than any of the big five.

In pure talent and ability Ilie Nastase beats all, including Federer. But is there a guy in sport that had so much talent but won very little and had the ability to snatch defeat in face of victory so regularly. The guy could self-destruct on request, but I loved watching him. Since he and Borg left tennis so did I. Occasionally I would return only to watch Federer, none of the others are worth wasting my time IMO and lets not start on the women's game.

oh england, bless you for filling the sporting void at the moment with hilarity.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...s/news-story/9b4bf8fc5f822261d27f6c154e1031ae

At 2-119 chasing 203 England were marginal underdogs, relying on Morgan (40) and Joe Root (42) to produce something special and seal a 2-1 series win. But just 19 deliveries later they were shaking hands in a daze, having been ruthlessly routed for 127 by Yuzvendra Chalal, whose 6-25 is the third-best return in T20 history.

oh england, bless you for filling the sporting void at the moment with hilarity.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...s/news-story/9b4bf8fc5f822261d27f6c154e1031ae

I would usually enjoy such news about English cricket, however I tend to err on the side of caution in this instance. Especially since the Trent Bridge 60. Our upcoming tour of India along with our current form and recent history of pitiful batting collapses means chances of a similar performance is high.

Every year when the Phoenix Open is on I wish I was there sitting in the grandstand on the 16th. It is hilarious viewing. Fowler hits a nice shot to maybe 6 feet and the crowd go crazy. Speith hits his ball to the middle of the green pin high and the crowd begin booing him for taking a conservative approach. Insofar as pro golf goes, the 16th at the Phoenix Open is wild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Dolphins fan, if the Pats winning today meant that Brady and Belichick would go away and never come back I could gladly see them win another. Otherwise...go Falcons!

Brady is a bit off his game and the Atlanta DEF are playing out of their minds.
Amazing what confidence can do for young players. I hope the lions are watching - incredible performance not only today but the other week against green bay too.

I can't seem NE coming back now. Disappointing I didn't think it would be this much of a blow out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back