General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some huge swell running in the Margaret Ruver Pro. Set waves above 12ft. On 507 Foxtel or via the world surf league website.
John Florence a complete step above everyone else on waves of that magnitude. The way he just toys with those monster waves is just incredible. Can't see anyone beating him if the swell pulses as expected tomorrow.

They should just clear the water and let john surf all day he's absolutely phenomenal.

Mercs fastest through 1st and 3rd sectors though.

Yeah, still expecting a Hamilton pole but still looking like the gap is closing somewhat.

Saw some suggestions after Melbourne that the Mercedes is a qualifying beast but that the Ferrari looks strong over race distance.

All eyes will be on overtaking numbers as well. Will find out if it was just typical Melbourne or whether the dirty air from the new aero setups is a serious issue.

Yeah, still expecting a Hamilton pole but still looking like the gap is closing somewhat.

Saw some suggestions after Melbourne that the Mercedes is a qualifying beast but that the Ferrari looks strong over race distance.

All eyes will be on overtaking numbers as well. Will find out if it was just typical Melbourne or whether the dirty air from the new aero setups is a serious issue.
The thing is too, love him or hate him barring maybe Alonso there is no driver that can string a hot lap together like Lewis can.

Giovinazzi binned it hard into the wall in Q1.

Killed Verstappen's last ditch chance to get out of Q1.

Will be fun watching Verstappen's race from the back of the grid, and should answer a lot of questions about overtaking in 2017.

Giovinazzi binned it hard into the wall in Q1.

Killed Verstappen's last ditch chance to get out of Q1.

Will be fun watching Verstappen's race from the back of the grid, and should answer a lot of questions about overtaking in 2017.
Ferrari vs Mercedes still looks good, but those Red Bulls look like they have parachutes behind them atm

Ferrari vs Mercedes still looks good, but those Red Bulls look like they have parachutes behind them atm

Software problem for Verstappen apparently. So he should have a bit of extra juice tomorrow.

John Florence at 12 foot main break already found the barrels.

Absolute freak hard to see who's gonna beat him.

It's finals day right now anyone who's interested but never really watched the surfing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Florence at 12 foot main break already found the barrels.

Absolute freak hard to see who's gonna beat him.

It's finals day right now anyone who's interested but never really watched the surfing.

Crap I'm out shopping with the fam.

Bahrain GP was fantastic. Apart from some mildly unfortunate timing with the safety car weakening their undercut, Ferrari made every post a winner.

Quite possible that Mercedes streak ahead in the development race but as it currently stands, it really looks like Ferrari are a genuine contender. A shame that Raikonnen has seemingly lost his edge though. It's all on Vettel this year.

Serena Williams won the Australian Open this year while 8 weeks pregnant.

Incredible.

Brilliant. It's a feat unmatched in the history of men's tennis.

Bahrain GP was fantastic. Apart from some mildly unfortunate timing with the safety car weakening their undercut, Ferrari made every post a winner.

Quite possible that Mercedes streak ahead in the development race but as it currently stands, it really looks like Ferrari are a genuine contender. A shame that Raikonnen has seemingly lost his edge though. It's all on Vettel this year.

I'd argue Raikonnen hasn't been the same driver for a number of years now. Or is he the same driver and others have gone past him? It's so hard to rank drivers though due to the performace of the cars they're in. I think Verstappen would likely be dominating if he were in a Mercedes and I'd love to see how someone like Hulkenberg or Perez went in a top line car. I've got no doubt Vettel and Hamilton are great drivers, but like Alonso put them in an inferior vehicle and they'd be scrapping just to get points. It's the aspect of the sport I find hardest to get my head around - that it is effectively a team sport but drivers are the ones laypersons get attached to.

I'd argue Raikonnen hasn't been the same driver for a number of years now. Or is he the same driver and others have gone past him? It's so hard to rank drivers though due to the performace of the cars they're in. I think Verstappen would likely be dominating if he were in a Mercedes and I'd love to see how someone like Hulkenberg or Perez went in a top line car. I've got no doubt Vettel and Hamilton are great drivers, but like Alonso put them in an inferior vehicle and they'd be scrapping just to get points. It's the aspect of the sport I find hardest to get my head around - that it is effectively a team sport but drivers are the ones laypersons get attached to.

Raikkonen isn't pushing the Ferrari like Vettel is. Kimi is my favourite but he really seems like he has lost the eye of the tiger. Can't blame him. He's not spring chicken anymore.

Some pretty interesting series in the NBA playoffs... the number 1 seeded Celtics will be made to look pretty stupid if they go out in the first round given the assets they've got gathering dust

I was watching the ticker for the Indy-Cleveland game but pulled the plug when the Pacers got 20 points up.

Saw a tweet about them blowing it when there were about two minutes left - tuned back in and was both stunned and laughing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back