General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Completely different situation from the cockpit compared to the convenient overhead cam.

I think in the wash up it will be ultimately straight up racing incident, exacerbated by the weather and with Raikonnen being seen as a somewhat careless teammate.

The squeeze on Max was absolutely fine, the pole driver does that move every race. Verstappen would have yielded eventually if not for Kimi. There is a photo out there that is mildly damning of Kimi, he cut back in and didn't use all the room he had available. And no one would have expected him to be there.

Too risky from a number two driver for mine.
Kimi moved to the right too soon and caught Verstappens wheel. Vettel was the innocent party in that imo.

Sainz and Palmer drove well. Pity about Alonso that was a storming start.

A lot of the gris will get moved on at the end of the year and rightly so. Changeable conditions should of had the real talent shining in the lesser cars. For all the criticism of Stroll I thought he stood up ok.

Kyvat ran out of talent pretty quickly in his crash.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Kimi moved to the right too soon and caught Verstappens wheel. Vettel was the innocent party in that imo.

Yeah it was an aggressive squeeze by Vettel but he was well within his rights. Just all too risky by Kimi in the conditions I think.

As I expected, (and despite Crofty's best efforts to convict and sentence Vettel live on air) it was deemed a racing incident. Disaster for Ferrari though no matter what.

Hamilton must have sacrificed 50 virgin goats before the race. He's home.

Still scratching my head at how dismal Ricciardo was in race trim compared to FP and Qualy.

Devo for Hulkenberg too, so unfortunate.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah it was an aggressive squeeze by Vettel but he was well within his rights. Just all too risky by Kimi in the conditions I think.

As I expected, (and despite Crofty's best efforts to convict and sentence Vettel live on air) it was deemed a racing incident. Disaster for Ferrari though no matter what.

Still scratching my head at how dismal Ricciardo was in race trim compared to FP and Qualy.

Yep Dan just didn't have it, nor did bottas who was miles from Hamiltons speed.

That Renault is crap, don't know how Sainz would be feeling.

Ricciardo had a gearbox that they didn't think was going to last the race after a massive drop in hydraulic pressure a few laps in. Was short shifting very early in the race.

Yeah the incident was a racing one. Despite the fact that i'm not a vettel fan, what he did in trying to push verstappen over to the side to get him to lift happens pretty much every first corner and he had no way of knowing Raikkonnen was on the inside of max, especially in the wet. Was a bit rich of them to try to come out and blame verstappen though. While he's been guilty a few times of trying too much on first corners, there wasn't really anything he could have done differently in that case, he had nowhere to go.

What the race has shown is that you can't count anyone out as these sort of things will continue to happen first corner for the rest of the year. You've got Hamilton and Vettel fighting for the championship, Raikkonnen and Bottas trying their best to help them and then you've got Max figuring he has nothing to lose and going hell for leather. It leaves Ricciardo able to be a bit more cautious and picking up places as a result of not getting involved in most of these sort of things and is a reasonable part of the reason why he seems to just consistently be able to bob up and score well when everything goes to s**t for the rest of them.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Kelly's new wave pool is incredible. It will be interesting to see how soon quality pools like this will be built and the impact on surfing they will have.

Kelly's new wave pool is incredible. It will be interesting to see how soon quality pools like this will be built and the impact on surfing they will have.

It's quite an amazing piece of engineering. The only issue for me is can they start to vary wave direction so it breaks it different places. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the place to myself for a day and I don't think I'd get bored, but if they decide to have comps there it might get a little samey.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
It's quite an amazing piece of engineering. The only issue for me is can they start to vary wave direction so it breaks it different places. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the place to myself for a day and I don't think I'd get bored, but if they decide to have comps there it might get a little samey.
They've got a right and a left and 5 minute tides. Different sections on the wave already plus a wave a minute. I believe this is still only the prototype I can't imagine how much better the final product will be.

Whole ride is a minute long as well. It's bloody incredible. I think it'll be one comp a year I agree I love the randomness of the ocean but a consistent same wave could produce some absolutely incredible runs. Guys like Toledo will do some amazing things

They've got a right and a left and 5 minute tides. Different sections on the wave already plus a wave a minute. I believe this is still only the prototype I can't imagine how much better the final product will be.

Whole ride is a minute long as well. It's bloody incredible. I think it'll be one comp a year I agree I love the randomness of the ocean but a consistent same wave could produce some absolutely incredible runs. Guys like Toledo will do some amazing things

I like it as a novelty wave or theme park but not for anything more. I hope everyone doesn't get sucked in and it becomes part of the WSL tour. It's all just too artificial. The surfer doesn't have to worry about wave selection. Kelly will be desperate for it to be part of the tour in some way because of how much he has invested in it.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I caught a half a moment part of an interview done on the ground with an NRL player immediately after the siren the other day. Not sure who it was, although he looked familiar ...anyhow the bit I heard raised my eyebrows before I kept surfing with the remote. Heard him laugh and say he'd had some "snow". Isn't that a reference to cocaine or something like it?

It was a joking reference, but nevertheless, can't imagine an AFL player saying something like that..

Not hugely into rugby league these days, but hard not to have the heart warmed by the PNG Hunters winning the Qld first grade premiership.

Will be representing Queensland against Penrith seconds on Grand Final day as well...

Soren Lorenson

Debutant
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sunderland
So how far North do you have to be to make a geographical claim on being a Cowboys supporter. Is anywhere north of Brisbane sufficient?

Do they have the resources though? Even in sports cars they haven't even ran top tier.

It is likely to be a Honda or Renault rebadged.

Initially it's sponsorship only. But like Porsche, it's sounds like they're interested. I just like the fact that the more these prestige brands express an interest, the more the F1A needs to consider what they do in the future.

I'm assuming they'll continue to run Renault.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Initially it's sponsorship only. But like Porsche, it's sounds like they're interested. I just like the fact that the more these prestige brands express an interest, the more the F1A needs to consider what they do in the future.

I'm assuming they'll continue to run Renault.
Reading they are still some way off. Porsche has the background and the grunt of VW behind them, plus a successful sports car lmp1 campaign behind them.

Back