General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some curious officiating in the Pats vs Chiefs game.

That roughing the passer call. Heh...

Yeah... :eek:

I also struggle to see how they can overturn the muff call but not the Hogan catch. Looked like more evidence of the latter than the former.

Ugh, Patriots again. How dull.

You really should get a chance to match the touchdown in overtime. Hate the current rule.
With those two offenses it was literally whoever won the coin flip wins the game.

Great games but I’ve said it before and will say it again - NFL overtime sudden death rules are patently unfair. Both teams should have a possession before a result can be achieved. Nowhere else in sport does a coin toss give such an advantage.

Not only that, but freaking Pats again???!!!

Not only that, but freaking Pats again???!!!

And apparently we all thought they'd lose, right? They have a special fountain of BS up there - they seem to confuse people wanting them to lose with people thinking they would.

And apparently we all thought they'd lose, right? They have a special fountain of BS up there - they seem to confuse people wanting them to lose with people thinking they would.
Hmm they were genuinely not tipped to win this one. Yes they milked it for all it's worth and it was cringeworthy as hell, but winning on the road (particularly that venue) is damn hard to do

Hmm they were genuinely not tipped to win this one. Yes they milked it for all it's worth and it was cringeworthy as hell, but winning on the road (particularly that venue) is damn hard to do

Except they were talking it up after beating the Chargers.

In a game in which they were favourites.

After earning a bye and home ground advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow cricket and the only time I see anything is the occasional highlight on the news, which usually prompts me to turn the channel, but tonight I saw that ugly incident where an Australian bowler (what a surprise) bowled a bouncer to deliberately take off an opposing teams batsmen's head with a view to hurting him. Well it worked and clearly Australian bowler's learned nothing from the Phil Hughes incident, nor do they particular care about the ramifications otherwise they wouldn't bowl them.

I'm honestly amazed that bouncers haven't been ruled out of the game. They're nothing but a gutless cheap shot that is malicious and akin to hitting someone from behind which offers nothing to the game other than a bowler attempting to intimidate an opponent.

Nah, keep the bouncer. Crucial part of the pace bowler’s toolkit. Comparing to to a king hit? Really?

It’s not just to intimidate, it is to force the batsman back in their crease as well as keep them guessing.

Weird angle to take to say that Australian cricketers in particular should have shelved it after Phil Hughes and that it is somehow an indictment on them in particular. The Hughes incident was so unbelievably improbable.

Last edited:
If it is legal, Australians are entitled to use it just as every other team does. The fact that a tragedy occurred here doesn’t suddenly give us a moral imperative to artificially create our own rules of the game.

The question of whether the bouncer still has a place in cricket is different. New helmet design, with the stem protection, is reducing the risk of a repeat of the Hughes tragedy. I don’t think you can completely rule out the possibility of another serious incident but there is risk in most sport.

Am not sure why they still allow the speccy in AFL. Undue risk to our players, a knee to the back of the head akin to a king hit. Does nothing but glorify the individual in a team game. Surprised the AFL hasn't come down on it.

While we're at it I think we should look at tackling in Rugby League. Punching in boxing and the slide tackle in soccer.

Sri Lankan batsman got hit in the head today to a ball that he legitimately ducked into. If he’d stood up, it would be been chest high.

Players used to say the worst deliveries from the best Windies bowlers were the ones aimed at your armpit. Balls aimed at the head could be avoided, whereas the ball at the upper body was a lot more difficult to counter, if you didn’t have confidence in your pulling and hooking.

Sri Lankan batsman got hit in the head today to a ball that he legitimately ducked into. If he’d stood up, it would be been chest high.

Players used to say the worst deliveries from the best Windies bowlers were the ones aimed at your armpit. Balls aimed at the head could be avoided, whereas the ball at the upper body was a lot more difficult to counter, if you didn’t have confidence in your pulling and hooking.

It used to fascinate me to watch the great Viv Richards never wear a helmet. Admittedly he could hook and pull like few others, but in an era where there were no restrictions on short pitch bowling, he really stood out for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back