General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Now put your good vibes behind Cardiff. God knows we need it.
The win against Brighton last week was a timely one. You were always up against it playing Liverpool and with Man Utd away in the last game; you’ve got to get maximum points against Fulham next game and probably something against Palace.

Bias aside, one of the most underrated players in the NBA. Dame Lillard seals the game and series with a 3 from way-deep. Oh and he scored 50 points too.

Bad shot according to some (the bloke guarding him). Obviously hasn't seen much of Dame in action. He is only surpassed by Curry for accuracy with those deep 3s.

Rockets Blazers Conference West and Raptors Bucks East will be a refreshing final 4.

Very real possibility now that Liverpool could only lose one match in an entire season of premier league football and still not win the league.
Looks like you need 100 pts to win it this year. Liverpool only have themselves to blame coughing up a 7pt lead.

Will have to focus on the CL I guess.

Chelsea have been shite all year and I thought we’re a certainty to again miss out on automatic Champions League qualification after dropping points all over the place in recent games, but Arsenal and Man Utd are again doing us massive favours by also dropping points everywhere, particularly Arsenal who had the easier run in of games to the end and then lost at home to Palace and overnight lost to Wolves.

But given how this season is going with three games to go, it’s really anyone’s guess who’ll qualify. For the football purist / neutral though, it is great to see the smaller clubs outside the big 6 clubs losing / dropping points against perennial mid table / smaller clubs.

Chelsea have been shite all year and I thought we’re a certainty to again miss out on automatic Champions League qualification after dropping points all over the place in recent games, but Arsenal and Man Utd are again doing us massive favours by also dropping points everywhere, particularly Arsenal who had the easier run in of games to the end and then lost at home to Palace and overnight lost to Wolves.

But given how this season is going with three games to go, it’s really anyone’s guess who’ll qualify. For the football purist / neutral though, it is great to see the smaller clubs outside the big 6 clubs losing / dropping points against perennial mid table / smaller clubs.
Can't Chelsea get into the Champions League by winning the Europa League as well if they fail to finish top 4?

Villa's 10 wins on the spin has me worried when it comes to playoffs. I mean we can't just keep winning can we? Facing Leeds and Norwich in the last two weeks should really show us where we are at, but at the same time all winning streaks must come to an end and I don't know whether it's better to get it out of the way in games that will determine our matchups in the playoffs or to just hope that we can keep racking up the wins and go up. That it took 3 quarter of the season before we actually got our s**t together to show what the team is capable of has been the most frustrating part.

Unbelievable money on offer for Eden Hazard, it's all market forces and supply and demand I know but it just doesn't seem right to me that people that kick a ball around a field can earn this much money. It says something about the society we have built... and it's not good.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...d/news-story/9235bf0cb0c7fd7a6ac64d0caec335cb

Eden Hazard has been offered a mega $A735,000 a week after tax to join Real Madrid.
The Chelsea star would take home $37 million a year plus bonuses if he puts pen to paper on the switch to the Bernabeu.

The Spanish giants are also in talks to buy Hazard a luxury property and help with relocation costs.

"help with relocation costs" gee that makes me laugh, poor chap must be struggling.

Villa's 10 wins on the spin has me worried when it comes to playoffs. I mean we can't just keep winning can we? Facing Leeds and Norwich in the last two weeks should really show us where we are at, but at the same time all winning streaks must come to an end and I don't know whether it's better to get it out of the way in games that will determine our matchups in the playoffs or to just hope that we can keep racking up the wins and go up. That it took 3 quarter of the season before we actually got our s**t together to show what the team is capable of has been the most frustrating part.
Things only really picked up for Villa once Jack Grealish came back after his two month injury and since then, the Villains have been unbeaten IIRC.

Now that Sheffield United have all but sewn up second spot and automatic qualification (they only need one point from two games and have wooden spooner, Ipswich Town, at home) the Championship play offs will be a doozy with Leeds United, Villa, West Brom and possibly Derby County / Middlesborough all qualifying. Leeds should be favourite, but they've been very patchy the past month, West Brom, whilst inconsistent have a lot of firepower with Dwight Gayle and Jay Rodriguez up front and then Derby are in a purple patch too (I have a bias here b/c Frankie Lampard is managing them) with Harry Taylor the pick of their players and Ashley Cole (playing the Luke Hodge role) and of course Villa who have been unstoppable as mentioned above and led by Tammy Abraham.

As for who will triumph in the richest game in world football is anybody's guess - there really will be four worthy contenders and all big clubs, but kudos to Norwich City who have been a joy to watch led by talisman Teemu Pukki who they got free and is leading the golden boot with 28 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things only really picked up for Villa once Jack Grealish came back after his two month injury and since then, the Villains have been unbeaten IIRC.

Now that Sheffield United have all but sewn up second spot and automatic qualification (they only need one point from two games and have wooden spooner, Ipswich Town, at home) the Championship playoffs will be a doozy with Leeds United, Villa, West Brom and possibly Derby County / Middlesborough all qualifying. Leeds should be favourite, but they've been very patchy the past month, West Brom, whilst inconsistent have a lot of firepower with Dwight Gayle and Jay Rodriguez up front and then Derby are in a purple patch too (I have a bias here b/c Frankie Lampard is managing them) with Harry Taylor the pick of their players and Ashley Cole (playing the Luke Hodge role) and of course Villa who have been unstoppable as mentioned above and led by Tammy Abraham.

As for who will triumph in the richest game in world football is anybody's guess - there really will be four worthy contenders and all big clubs, but kudos to Norwich City who have been a joy to watch led by talisman Teemu Pukki who they got free and is leading the golden boot with 28 goals.

Grealish coming back in certainly helped cos we were abysmal when he was injured. But bringing in Mings & Hause in January and transformed our patchy defence and have just lifted the standards of everyone else. Dean Smith settling into the role has helped as well. It's good to have one of our own fans who understands the DNA of the club looking like he has decent coaching ability. John McGinn has been doing it all season long and Glen Whelan has just been transformed as a player in the second half of the season. To me, he had always been the epitome of the bog-average pro but he has been taking hold of games from defensive midfield and laying the platform.

If we don't go up I want it to be Leeds. They are too big a club to have had the last 15+ years they have had. The Sheep shaggers, Baggies and Borough can sod right off. Absolute garbage clubs.

If we don't go up I want it to be Leeds. They are too big a club to have had the last 15+ years they have had. The Sheep shaggers, Baggies and Borough can sod right off. Absolute garbage clubs.

I'd been quietly rooting for Leeds all season, particularly when they were leading the Championship in the early and mid parts of the season and whilst Sheffield United had been hot on their trail with a late run, Leeds then went and lost to Wigan at home and then Brentford all but blowing their hopes of finishing second.

I can't stand Sheffield United, but must admit, I'll be happy for Leeds if they win the play off series. I do hate seeing big clubs languishing in the second and third tiers and clubs such as Leeds and Villa are too good not to be in the Premier League.

Not sure if you're keeping an eye on League One, but its similar to race to the Championship with Luton Town (run away leaders similar to Norwich) finally coming back up to the second tier after falling all the way to the Conference system and then Barnsley (I have similar feelings to them as I do Sheffield United) looking likely to hold off Sunderland and Portsmouth (who should both be playing above League One) for automatic qualification, although one of them along with Charlton Athletic and probably Doncaster will fight it out for the play off spot. I was hoping both Sunderland and Portsmouth would join Luton Town, but one will likely miss out with Barnsley getting there.

I'd been quietly rooting for Leeds all season, particularly when they were leading the Championship in the early and mid parts of the season and whilst Sheffield United had been hot on their trail with a late run, Leeds then went and lost to Wigan at home and then Brentford all but blowing their hopes of finishing second.

I can't stand Sheffield United, but must admit, I'll be happy for Leeds if they win the play off series. I do hate seeing big clubs languishing in the second and third tiers and clubs such as Leeds and Villa are too good not to be in the Premier League.

Not sure if you're keeping an eye on League One, but its similar to race to the Championship with Luton Town (run away leaders similar to Norwich) finally coming back up to the second tier after falling all the way to the Conference system and then Barnsley (I have similar feelings to them as I do Sheffield United) looking likely to hold off Sunderland and Portsmouth (who should both be playing above League One) for automatic qualification, although one of them along with Charlton Athletic and probably Doncaster will fight it out for the play off spot. I was hoping both Sunderland and Portsmouth would join Luton Town, but one will likely miss out with Barnsley getting there.
I've always had a soft spot for Sunderland and Leeds, one of my earliest football memories was of their 1973 FA Cup final (I was 13), it was a massive upset win to Sunderland and their goalkeeper Jim Montgomery had a blinder. Love to see Leeds go up.

I've always had a soft spot for Sunderland and Leeds, one of my earliest football memories was of their 1973 FA Cup final (I was 13), it was a massive upset win to Sunderland and their goalkeeper Jim Montgomery had a blinder. Love to see Leeds go up.
It will have to be via the play offs with Sheffield United all but having sewn up automatic promotion.

Leeds v Aston Villa just started which should be an entertaining game.

It will have to be via the play offs with Sheffield United all but having sewn up automatic promotion.

Leeds v Aston Villa just started which should be an entertaining game.
Entertaining is one way to put it, utter farce would be another

That whole kicking the ball out while an opposition player is down "injured" is a farce IMO. It is said it is fair play/respect to put it out, Pfff! This from players who have no problem with diving/simulation/staging/surrounding and harassing referees, it really is comical this respect hypocrisy they go on with.

99% of the time the player down is not seriously injured they're are bloody drama queens and attention seekers, play on every time unless it's a very obvious bad injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back