General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute insanity re Pat Cummins being ruled out of the Test Match because he is a "close contact" of someone who tested positive.. ridiculous.

He is fully vaccinated, all the Australian players, English players, team support staff, umpires and the massive majority of the crowd would be as well. Tell me what is the point of being vaccinated? Are we going for the impossible zero Covid cases or are we going to live with it?

This is damn ludicrous and I suspect that most in the cricket fraternity would feel the same but are too afraid of bucking the government/media doomsday narrative to say it publicly.

7 days for fully vaccinated, 14 days for unvaccinated. At least, that's what it is in Qld, I believe.

I don't mind the decision - it's a public health one, not a cricket one, and Australian public health officials have got a lot more right than their counterparts overseas. We might be reopened but it is still a good idea for a range of reasons to try and slow the spread. Requiring home isolation for close contacts makes sense (as will the return of masks). It's a small price to pay for a significant reward - keeping vulnerable people alive.

Plus, if Patty actually contracts the virus and gets a positive test whilst playing, it potentially means the end of the Adelaide test.

7 days for fully vaccinated, 14 days for unvaccinated. At least, that's what it is in Qld, I believe.

I don't mind the decision - it's a public health one, not a cricket one, and Australian public health officials have got a lot more right than their counterparts overseas. We might be reopened but it is still a good idea for a range of reasons to try and slow the spread. Requiring home isolation for close contacts makes sense (as will the return of masks). It's a small price to pay for a significant reward - keeping vulnerable people alive.

Plus, if Patty actually contracts the virus and gets a positive test whilst playing, it potentially means the end of the Adelaide test.
To me it is now a risk benefit analysis with the large uptake of vaccines, I'm 62 fully vaccinated, everyone I associate with over 11 years of age is fully vaccinated, lets just get on with our lives as per pre Covid IMO, I'm prepared to take the risk, hell I'd have no qualms associating with the unvaccinated, I'm not asking anyone I come in contact with to show me their vaccine passport... in saying that just have some common sense, if you're coughing, sneezing, have a temperature etc stay at home until you're better as most did pre Covid.

To me it is now a risk benefit analysis with the large uptake of vaccines, I'm 62 fully vaccinated, everyone I associate with over 11 years of age is fully vaccinated, lets just get on with our lives as per pre Covid IMO, I'm prepared to take the risk, hell I'd have no qualms associating with the unvaccinated, I'm not asking anyone I come in contact with to show me their vaccine passport... in saying that just have some common sense, if you're coughing, sneezing, have a temperature etc stay at home until you're better as most did pre Covid.
Also heard Leigh at training yesterday say that he thinks the AFL will forge ahead at all costs this year and even if a club has half of its Senior team out with some sort of Covid protocol, games will go ahead.
Depth could be one of the most important things to have in a football club this year.

My only “concern” is, is that we haven’t yet experienced covid to the extent of the rest of the world.

So we haven’t experienced the covid related deaths that the rest of the world has.

The UK at the moment are still experiencing 3000+ deaths a month from covid, where as this time last year it was 30,000 deaths a month.

We haven’t yet had that initial “culling” of the weak that the rest of the world has.

And I’m not sure if vaccines make a difference to that vulnerable population.

That was embarrassing for Harris.

An opener has to value their wicket more than that.
I think it was there to be hit, he just executed poorly. If you can play the pull shot, a half tracker going down leg needs to be hit.

Sounds like someone needs to move to NSW - we've just moved to close contacts being households of positive cases only (barring superspreader events like Newcastle nightclubs).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stokes is the only non English born player in the squad, Australia have 3. We need to boost our numbers

Need to get it back like the old days, huh? What is it, something like 12% of all English (& Welsh) test cricket players born overseas?

Good to see Pat Cummins has survived his scary brush with Covid mortality and has been selected in the squad and back as captain for the Boxing day Test.

The worst part is Warnie getting up on his high horse for 5 days spouting the absolute garbage that Melbourne's weather is better than Sydney's.
Warne is a complete moron and shouldnt be listened to (outside his very small input on legspin). But you cant really hide from Sydney has more rain than Melbourne and gets a lot more days lost to its test. The ground is probably the worst of the major test venues (Adelaide is more picturesque , Perth is modern, Melbourne is a full stadium and as much history, etc). The Gabba is maybe not great but doesnt get rained out, is a better pitch and does better being at the start of the summer. Its also getting upgraded.

Warne is a complete moron and shouldnt be listened to (outside his very small input on legspin). But you cant really hide from Sydney has more rain than Melbourne and gets a lot more days lost to its test. The ground is probably the worst of the major test venues (Adelaide is more picturesque , Perth is modern, Melbourne is a full stadium and as much history, etc). The Gabba is maybe not great but doesnt get rained out, is a better pitch and does better being at the start of the summer. Its also getting upgraded.
You are correct in that Sydney has more rain however Melbourne has considerably more "rainy days" per annum (139 to 95, as per BoM). I know what I'd rather.

You are spot on as to the SCG however - extremely average place to watch Aussie rules, even moreso to watch cricket and watching rugby league there takes the cake. Don't bother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back