General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

You are correct in that Sydney has more rain however Melbourne has considerably more "rainy days" per annum (139 to 95, as per BoM). I know what I'd rather.

You are spot on as to the SCG however - extremely average place to watch Aussie rules, even moreso to watch cricket and watching rugby league there takes the cake. Don't bother.
Melbourne's wetter in general, Sydney's wetter during cricket season.

You are correct in that Sydney has more rain however Melbourne has considerably more "rainy days" per annum (139 to 95, as per BoM). I know what I'd rather.

You are spot on as to the SCG however - extremely average place to watch Aussie rules, even moreso to watch cricket and watching rugby league there takes the cake. Don't bother.

9th Test century

Now has a Test bating average of 41.86 according to my calculations.

Harris has been decent in the last two tests and I have nothing against him personally.

But Harris still has a Test batting average of under 26 and has had 26 innings for 3 X 50's and 0 X centuries.

By any objective measure, Ussie is streets ahead of Harris.

Kawajah is arguably , if not demonstrably the fourth best batsman/ batter in Australia with only Marnus, Smith and Warner in front of him

Dropping him for the next test should not even be in the conversation

The Ashes have been retained.

We are going to Hobart 3-0 at worst and 4-0 at best.

If I am George Bailey, I'm resting Lyon and giving Swepson a game.

if Hazelwood is good to go , I'm also "resting" Starc.

Head has to come back in but it should be at the expense of Green who has been useful with the ball but very ordinary with the bat

IN: Hazelwood, Swepson, Head

OUT: Lyon, Starc, Green

Yes, I know this would leave us with only 4 top line bowlers but so what?

Head, Marnus and even Smith are useful with the ball so let's expireiment a bit ahead of this tour to Pakistan

We would also have a genuinely powerful top 6 batting lineup in Warner, Harris, Marnus, Smith, Kawajah and Head

As much as I would like to see Swepson get a gig. I think hes going to have to wait till Asia for that chance or for Lyon to get injured

Seeing how we've already won the series, I'd keep carrying Green. Let him an have extended run at it and get used to the level, considering hes very obviously the future. He has shown he can bat at shield level with an avg of over 50 and hes currently showing he can be pretty handy with the ball. Seems like a matter of time before he puts it all together

With Boland going off to the hospital today I'd imagine he would be the one not playing next game. Whether thats anyone of Hazlewood, Richardson or Neser to replace.

9th Test century

Now has a Test bating average of 41.86 according to my calculations.

Harris has been decent in the last two tests and I have nothing against him personally.

But Harris still has a Test batting average of under 26 and has had 26 innings for 3 X 50's and 0 X centuries.

By any objective measure, Ussie is streets ahead of Harris.

Kawajah is arguably , if not demonstrably the fourth best batsman/ batter in Australia with only Marnus, Smith and Warner in front of him

Dropping him for the next test should not even be in the conversation

Khawaja has his issues against spin, but averages almost 100 as an opener. It seems like a solution is obvious, but the selectors don't want to take it.

Harris still looks vulnerable to the ball just outside off stump. So does Warner, mind you, but Warner buttresses that weakness by having a range of attacking shots that create pressures on the bowler. So good bowling will get them both out but Harris doesn't pose the same threat and seems to lack scoring strokes, at least at Test level.

At no point in Harris's international career have I been convinced by him. That Melbourne innings was gutsy in tough conditions but didn't really define him as a Test quality opener against Test quality attacks.

I'd like to see us find the next generation opener but, while there are options, no-one has really announced themselves yet. Therefore, it is a choice between persisting with the younger guy and hope he comes good, or get the sugar hit of a proven yet aged top order player. I've probably seen enough to be happy not to go any further with Harris and rely on a Khawaja/Warner partnership until hopefully two of Pucovski, Street, Renshaw, Hunt, Ward etc emerge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched some highlights of the Celtic v Rangers derby, what a hell of an atmosphere, that derby has to be one of the best in world sport.

Wouldn't mind betting that Ange Postecoglou will end up managing a side in the EPL or another big European league.

Just watched some highlights of the Celtic v Rangers derby, what a hell of an atmosphere, that derby has to be one of the best in world sport.

Wouldn't mind betting that Ange Postecoglou will end up managing a side in the EPL or another big European league.
English and European football derby's are on another level.

Celtic v Rangers is up there, but from memory the three most intense/insane derby's are:
Galatasaray v Fenerbahce
Boca Juniors v River Plate
Red Star Belgrade v Partizan Belgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back