News General sports discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but I'm scared they'll go full Oilers and trade out some of those guys in the AHL for B-graders that barely improve the second to fourth lines. Rinse and repeat :(

It would be like an AFL team consisting of peak Fyfe, Cripps & Ablett surrounded by a team full of Levi Casboults.

I'd normally try and reassure you that it won't happen but this is the Oilers we are talking about. Although I just remembered that the GM was recently fired, hopefully the new guy knows what he is doing. :drunk:

It’s my son’s influence. He loves hockey, basketball, baseball and football. Has been to the USA and Canada in recent times and arranges his trips around these sporting events.

That's what I'm dreaming of doing once I graduate, he's living it. :devil:

I'd normally try and reassure you that it won't happen but this is the Oilers we are talking about. Although I just remembered that the GM was recently fired, hopefully the new guy knows what he is doing. :drunk:

That's what I'm dreaming of doing once I graduate, he's living it. :devil:
He’s back in Australia. Living with his Canadian girlfriend who hails from Montreal. Not much talk when Kings play Canadiens.

I'd normally try and reassure you that it won't happen but this is the Oilers we are talking about. Although I just remembered that the GM was recently fired, hopefully the new guy knows what he is doing.
Yeah, new guy to come in. Also up in the air whether Hitchcock stays on as head coach I think. I feel like the Oilers are Carlton circa 2012 and trying to figure out if we go down the "Old Carlton" path or start again. We made the wrong choice then. Hopefully they don't too :(

what the puck......
Dunno why, but I reckon you'd like ice hockey Thy. Exciting game, fast pace, great skills, occasionally some big hits and it all gets done in about 2 hours or so. Plus it's all in the opposite part of the calendar to footy AND your team plays a game every 3 days or so for the six months. Great fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from what I've seen it just strikes me as too quick - like a male tennis rally - all over too soon with not enough space or time for nuances - plus it's smallish - I get the interest though - the biffo is nuts.......

Yeah, new guy to come in. Also up in the air whether Hitchcock stays on as head coach I think. I feel like the Oilers are Carlton circa 2012 and trying to figure out if we go down the "Old Carlton" path or start again. We made the wrong choice then. Hopefully they don't too :(

It's a tough one, because you want to capitalise with McDavid and Draisaitl there. A combination like that doesn't come around very often, so I understand the want to be active in free agency or trade prospects for established talent. Chiarelli just ****ed up so much with the Hall trade, Lucic deal, etc. Something has to give, whether that's FA acquisitions or bringing in the young guys next season. Can't keep with the status quo.

At least the Red Wings and Ken Holland are aware that they need to go to the draft for a few years and build around the likes of Larkin, Athanasiou, Mantha and Zadina up front with Hronek and Cholowski on the back end. Still need a lot more talent and high draft picks, but we just can't buy a lottery ball at the moment.

It's a tough one, because you want to capitalise with McDavid and Draisaitl there. A combination like that doesn't come around very often, so I understand the want to be active in free agency or trade prospects for established talent. Chiarelli just ****** up so much with the Hall trade, Lucic deal, etc. Something has to give, whether that's FA acquisitions or bringing in the young guys next season. Can't keep with the status quo.

At least the Red Wings and Ken Holland are aware that they need to go to the draft for a few years and build around the likes of Larkin, Athanasiou, Mantha and Zadina up front with Hronek and Cholowski on the back end. Still need a lot more talent and high draft picks, but we just can't buy a lottery ball at the moment.
I have a soft spot for the Red Wings - first exposure to hockey was as a teenager watching the weekly highlights on SBS late at night and seeing them win the Stanley Cup with guys like Yzerman. Picked them for my team until I lost touch with hockey and developed a loathing for the US lol

from what I've seen it just strikes me as too quick - like a male tennis rally - all over too soon with not enough space or time for nuances - plus it's smallish - I get the interest though - the biffo is nuts.......
I found it hard to watch initially, and particularly with the comparatively crap resolution of TV back in the day, but now you get your yearly NHL online pass for chump change compared to monthly Foxtel fees and can stream it at 60FPS in full HD. Doesn't take long to pick up exactly what's going on. Only takes a short while to pick up the rhythm of the game and pretty much predict where the puck will be moved to. But it definitely takes those slow motion close-ups to highlight just how crazy some of rh stick handling and passes/shots are!

I found it hard to watch initially, and particularly with the comparatively crap resolution of TV back in the day, but now you get your yearly NHL online pass for chump change compared to monthly Foxtel fees and can stream it at 60FPS in full HD. Doesn't take long to pick up exactly what's going on. Only takes a short while to pick up the rhythm of the game and pretty much predict where the puck will be moved to. But it definitely takes those slow motion close-ups to highlight just how crazy some of rh stick handling and passes/shots are!

If you want to watch hockey being played in slow motion, come along to Docklands or IceHQ in Reservoir on a weekday night. :$

I know Adelaide has a team, but the ice rink place is miles away from me.

Had fun teasing a workmate who loves his hockey and is involved with the ADF team as support staff. Told him I was going to nominate for the tryouts and that it couldn't be that hard - skate, smash & whack until you put the round black thing in the little net behind the big guy with all the pads on. I still give him a little crap every now and again for getting so worked up about it lol

Mind you, he knew I'd never pulled a set of any form of skates on.

I really am a jerk sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back