News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

You can actually vote for what surface you want on the TA Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/TennisAustralia

I voted for hard court but I agree it will be on grass. Just sick of it being on grass to suit players like Sam 'I can't win a match' Groth and Tomic the tank engine, and guys like Millman being ruled out because he is supposedly no good on grass.

After the last debacle I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them end up playing. Hopefully Kokkinakis might be available by then too.
Kokk would probably be underdone, Thompson and Millman would suffice for mine, and that's worst case. Fwiw the current Slovaks haven't played a tie on grass before and their players have a poor-average record on the surface. Lacko's best surface is hard, Klizan has won 25% of his grass matches, and their #3 hasn't played singles on a surface other than clay since last year. Nuff said, grass it is

Kokk would probably be underdone, Thompson and Millman would suffice for mine, and that's worst case. Fwiw the current Slovaks haven't played a tie on grass before and their players have a poor-average record on the surface. Lacko's best surface is hard, Klizan has won 25% of his grass matches, and their #3 hasn't played singles on a surface other than clay since last year. Nuff said, grass it is

I've no doubt TPTB will opt for grass. Like I said, just don't want to see someone like Millman ruled our in favour of Groth because it's grass.

Kokkinakis is supposedly playing in Rio so one would think if he's fit enough for that he would be available for Davis Cup.

I've no doubt TPTB will opt for grass. Like I said, just don't want to see someone like Millman ruled our in favour of Groth because it's grass.

Kokkinakis is supposedly playing in Rio so one would think if he's fit enough for that he would be available for Davis Cup.
Don't think Kokk will be playing Rio hence why I think he'd be underdone

Well, Klizan doesn't like the grass so I can't see why it wouldn't be a bad option. I'm expecting a hard court at Canberra with Kyrgios there would be good. As long as don't pick Groth, we should be beating Slovakia on any surface at home.

Well, Klizan doesn't like the grass so I can't see why it wouldn't be a bad option. I'm expecting a hard court at Canberra with Kyrgios there would be good. As long as don't pick Groth, we should be beating Slovakia on any surface at home.

Yeah. Canberra got an upgrade in development (and held a mens $75K challenger there in January this year) and have been angling for an event like this.

BOTH Kyrgios AND Tomic there would be good (not just the home-town kid). These 2 have been our leading mens players for over 18 mths yet due to certain circumstances haven't played together in a Davis Cup tie as this. The playoff tie vs Poland in Sept 2013 (won 4-1) was the only time they played together and that was when it was Hewitt and Tomic leading the singles and Kyrgios partnered Gooch in the doubles (which they lost in 5) and then played the dead singles rubber.

i bet it has nothing to do with the fact that the Toronto Masters are roughly the same time.

i wish athletes would stop using this cop out excuse.

Haelp is out of Rio as well for the same reason. (Zika, not Toronto)

It seems like some tennis players are using Zika virus as an excuse...here's an article about this

One of Brazil's most successful sport stars has hit out at athletes using the Zika virus as an excuse to withdraw from the Rio Olympics.

Seven-time grand slam tennis champion Maria Bueno believes there are other underlying reasons for their decision not to compete in Brazil.
"I think that the people who are pulling out because of the Zika virus must have other reasons," Bueno told CNN.
"Zika has become a very good excuse not to go to Rio but I don't think it's really that bad."

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/21/t...:+rss/edition_americas+(RSS:+CNNi+-+Americas)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now the Bryan Brothers have pulled out from the Olympics due to health concerns so is any tennis player actually going to Rio!?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36934492
Sydney-Int-.jpg

:p

Hingis is looking for a new doubles partner...

World No.1 doubles duo Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza are splitting up.

The pair announced the separation with a co-written message on their respective Facebook pages on Wednesday morning (AEST).

“After three Grand Slam victories and eleven WTA doubles titles together, we have mutually agreed that we would each be open to playing with other players for the remainder of the season,” the message said.

“Perhaps, because of our great past results, we have had very high expectations from our partnership and unfortunately did not get the results we desired recently.

“We would like to clarify that it was a totally professional decision based purely on our recent results. The professional decision has not and will not in any way affect the wonderful personal relationship that we continue to share.

http://tennismash.com/2016/08/11/hingis-and-mirza-announce-split/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back