News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the women's side is much better now and we saw a few players step up this year.
I don't really think many stepped up to that extent, I think they just took advantage of a weakened comp.

In my mind there is still a gulf between Serena and every other player in the world, until I see evidence that there isn't. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her win another two or three slams next year.

wow Bartoli is planning a comeback!

Former Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli announced on Tuesday that she will return to professional tennis in 2018.

Bartoli captured her maiden grand slam title as a No15 seed at Wimbledon in 2013 before walking away from the sport less than two months later at a career-high ranking of No7 in the world.

But the 33-year-old Frenchwoman, who had previously hinted at a return, confirmed her intent to return to the WTA Tour in a series of posts on social media on Tuesday night.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/19/marion-bartoli-announces-comeback-wimbledon

Serena Williams will return to tennis in Abu Dhabi next week, almost four months after giving birth.

The American, 36, will play world number seven Jelena Ostapenko in an exhibition match on 30 December during the Mubadala World Tennis Championship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/42472273

Can't wait for the tennis season to start again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/42472273

Can't wait for the tennis season to start again
In that article it states "Rafael Nadal, Milos Raonic and Stan Wawrinka" will miss the mudadala tennis champs at the end of December.

It makes me wonder, how many out of Nadal, Murray, djokovic, Wawrinka, Raonic, nishikori and whoever else was injured late this year, will actually play at the Australian open? There has to be some doubts they'll all play in Melbourne.

I didn't see an Australian Open 2018 thread yet so I hope you don't mind me asking a question about it on here.

After years of "I'll go this year, you watch" and doing nothing I've actually booked my flights and accommodation for next year's tournament with the sole purpose of watching Fed before he retires. So I know that the actual fixture comes out a few days before the tournament starts so there's no way to pinpoint who/where the matches will take place, although I would think Rod Laver would be a safe assumption. I'm going to be in Melbourne from the 15-17th, the first round. I was wondering if there were any 'traditions' like the previous year's champion playing RLA on the first night or anything like that or if I have to take my chances and buy a night session to RLA both nights. If anyone has any advice on the right ticket to get or just general advice for going to the AO that would be great.

Spot on. Federer will play Monday or Tuesday night on RLA.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see an Australian Open 2018 thread yet so I hope you don't mind me asking a question about it on here.

After years of "I'll go this year, you watch" and doing nothing I've actually booked my flights and accommodation for next year's tournament with the sole purpose of watching Fed before he retires. So I know that the actual fixture comes out a few days before the tournament starts so there's no way to pinpoint who/where the matches will take place, although I would think Rod Laver would be a safe assumption. I'm going to be in Melbourne from the 15-17th, the first round. I was wondering if there were any 'traditions' like the previous year's champion playing RLA on the first night or anything like that or if I have to take my chances and buy a night session to RLA both nights. If anyone has any advice on the right ticket to get or just general advice for going to the AO that would be great.
I cant recall any traditions ala Wimbledon regarding the defending champ. He will play RLA but he would regardless of his success last year. i had a quick look at schedule for the first rounds in previous years and there is no real pattern. Fed played at night from 15-17 but as Jack said, that is not unusual.

your best bet is to wait for the draw to come down on Sat(?) and get on quick. They don't wait long nowadays to release a rough guide for the main courts nowadays. If it is a day game, life is easier as they aren't as much demanded as night ones IIRC.

If you are unlucky and it says there are no tickets(unlikely for 1st round but u never now), then keep trying. They always release more tickets throughout the day as people(corps) always give tickets back.

https://fanmarketplace.ausopen.com/ is another place to look if they are "sold out". that is the OFFICIAL reselling website which uses the ticketek system. Just never buy from Viagogo or ticketmaster resale. It isnt worth the risk or cost.

I have never been to RLA during the tennis so i cant really comment but most tickets would be around the back of RLA. i think they are still good seats.

I cant recall any traditions ala Wimbledon regarding the defending champ. He will play RLA but he would regardless of his success last year. i had a quick look at schedule for the first rounds in previous years and there is no real pattern. Fed played at night from 15-17 but as Jack said, that is not unusual.

your best bet is to wait for the draw to come down on Sat(?) and get on quick. They don't wait long nowadays to release a rough guide for the main courts nowadays. If it is a day game, life is easier as they aren't as much demanded as night ones IIRC.

If you are unlucky and it says there are no tickets(unlikely for 1st round but u never now), then keep trying. They always release more tickets throughout the day as people(corps) always give tickets back.

https://fanmarketplace.ausopen.com/ is another place to look if they are "sold out". that is the OFFICIAL reselling website which uses the ticketek system. Just never buy from Viagogo or ticketmaster resale. It isnt worth the risk or cost.

I have never been to RLA during the tennis so i cant really comment but most tickets would be around the back of RLA. i think they are still good seats.
That's perfect, thank you :) I was thinking I would have to get on the tickets as soon as they open, but if I can wait until the actual draw comes out and then get tickets that makes life easier.

That's perfect, thank you :) I was thinking I would have to get on the tickets as soon as they open, but if I can wait until the actual draw comes out and then get tickets that makes life easier.
happy to help

It has been a couple of years since I have been at Melbourne but that was roughly what it was like for most of the first week weekdays. The first weekend and the nights of the 2nd week are the ones which sell quickly and stay sold. First weekday nights are popular but if you get in early after the draw/schedule or are committed(etc keeping checking the Ticketek website) then you should be fine. That was my experience for the few years I worked there.

You have been able to purchase tickets for the Aus Open since late this year so it is not like the French or Wimbledon where you got to get in very early.

happy to help

It has been a couple of years since I have been at Melbourne but that was roughly what it was like for most of the first week weekdays. The first weekend and the nights of the 2nd week are the ones which sell quickly and stay sold. First weekday nights are popular but if you get in early after the draw/schedule or are committed(etc keeping checking the Ticketek website) then you should be fine. That was my experience for the few years I worked there.

You have been able to purchase tickets for the Aus Open since late this year so it is not like the French or Wimbledon where you got to get in very early.

It hasn't changed much (ticketing wise). Once the draw is out, it's best to buy RLA tickets asap especially if Federer is playing. I usually buy my tickets a week before AO begins.

RLA: The seating is usually top half (at the back) - the front section usually goes to corporates, members and player's box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back