News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what's happened to Stephens after winning the US Open.

WHEN Sloane Stephens won the US Open, having been ranked world No.957 just two months earlier, she was hailed the new star of tennis, an ultra-talented fairytale who would be a force for years to come.

But since then? Disaster.

Stephens, 24, has lost every single match she has played since raising the trophy for her maiden Grand Slam title on Arthur Ashe Stadium, where she made history as the lowest-ranked player (No.83) to ever win the Open title. American hopes that should would follow in the footsteps of the Williams sisters as a dominant force in women’s tennis have dramatically been put on ice, for now.

“Considering how amazing she played at the Open and in the summer, it’s one of the strangest four months,” Brad Gilbert, the former pro and coach of Andre Agassi, told the Wall Street Journal. “It makes no sense.”

Women’s tennis legend Chris Evert, the 18-time Grand Slam champion turned ESPN commentator, had a damning take on Stephens’ downturn.

“I question whether she has a burning desire to win more Grand Slams or be No.1,” she told reporters. “I don’t see it as much as I do with other players.”

Full Article

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis...h/news-story/8dde3d088deb4d30d28d7fae5fd362c1

This is not directed to Thawn. Just something i been thinking about the last couple of days and Thawn has reminded me of it. It has no bearing on that conversation. (hence posted here)

Records for their career
Losing 6-0 sets (in grand slams only)
Fed (2)
Pat RAFTER!!!!!!!!!! @ FO 99
Rafa @ FO 08

Rafa (3)
Roddick @ US 04
Fed @ Wim 06
Berdych @ AU 15(that was nuts)

Novak (3)
Safin @ AU 05
Monfils @ US 05
Theim @ FO 17

Andy (6)(i cant be bothered)

Serena (1)
Mary Joe Fernandez @ FO 99

Karlovic (1)
Eduardo Schwank @ FO 12

tells you nothing but i thought it was interesting.

Edit: i wonder who would have the best record here. The person who played the most matches at grand slam level and still never conceded a bagel.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what happened to the first serve tennis program/podcast on SEN1116? Has Hutchy culled it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm just a bit of a fangirl but over at that tennis warehouse forum, the hate for Alexander Zverev is so extreme to the point where posters are making things up now. I.e: that he whinged about Federer making him look bad. If they're referring to that Hopman Cup interview that was clearly tongue in cheek and he was basically admiring Fed. I don't get the hate for someone young and up and coming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back