(Log in to remove this ad.)

BobbyMorri

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth

Vamos is coming to Brisbane.

I also saw that Novak was a captains pick for the Laver Cup.

Redline

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
https://www.tennis.com.au/news/2018/07/02/atp-2020-world-team-cup-australia

Sounds like this might actually happen. What I can't work out is what this means for Brisbane and Sydney tournaments. I would expect this will be the end of the Hopman Cup.

I'd like to know what the main driver for this is. I think it is to try and and have more attractive mens tennis in Sydney.

Last edited:

JackNah_8

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Richmond
https://www.tennis.com.au/news/2018/07/02/atp-2020-world-team-cup-australia

Sounds like this might actually happen. What i can't work put is what this means for Brisbane and Sydnet tournaments. I would expect this will be the end of the Hopman Cup.

I'd like to know what the main driver for this is. I think it is to try and and have more attractive mens tennis in Sydney.
I was about to ask the same, what happens to Brisbane, Sydney and Hopman Cup ? Sydney International is already struggling to attract top players and crowds

Hopman Cup News:
CONSECUTIVE state governments have refused to, so let me tell you what impeccably connected people in tennis circles say: tennis ace Roger Federer is being paid to come to Perth. And the price is $2 million.

Despite promising a new era of transparency from opposition, the McGowan Government is in lockstep with its predecessor in declining to reveal financial terms of the deal to bring the Swiss maestro to the Hopman Cup.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/opinion...-roger-federer-for-perth-visits-ng-b88881314z

red+black

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Storm
Yeah I might too, although I'm not sure why now was chosen as the time to release a documentary about events from 34 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BobbyMorri

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth
2 new teams for the Hopman Cup. Good teams as well

The greeks will be happy. Very good team that one.

And good to see Ferrer for one last time in Australia. Muguruza might also last more than 1 round as well.

This is on top of these players. Just a cool 23 GS between them ;)

So, why are they getting rid of the Hopman Cup? Really, this is shaping up to be a great little tournament once again.

JackNah_8

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Richmond
Both great additions to the Hopman cup. PERTH

The Greek team will attract a crowd especially in Melbourne...re Australia Open.

Last edited:

pepsi

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, Atlanta Hawks
Djokovic claiming grand slams should move to best of 3 and the shot clock not be put in place. Mate, you are my favourite player, but have lost the plot by suggesting we move to best of 3 in grand slams.

JackNah_8

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Richmond
The Hopman Cup is always in Perth.
Lol I'm aware of that.. I've seen the tournament many times and posted here for years .

But I purposely mentioned Melbourne as we have seen Marcos receive a big Greek following when he's played at the Australian open. (Hence why I said especially when Melbourne lol)

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Lol I'm aware of that.. I've seen the tournament many times and posted here for years .

But I purposely mentioned Melbourne as we have seen Marcos receive a big Greek following when he's played at the Australian open. (Hence why I said especially when Melbourne lol)
I can understand the confusion. It read as bumps saw it as I did.

AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
red star bgd, man utd, bvb
If Djokovic beats Fed at the Cincinnati final he will become the first tennis player ever to win all nine masters, all four grand slams, davis cup and world tour final in his career :)

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
I was asking the regular tennis fans on the First Dates thread (like Jacknah) who's played in the most GS finals without winning one? As I'm interested in that type of sports trivia. Unless there's some unknown layer from the late 1800s, early 1900s, it turns out that it's Mary Jo Fernandez and Dinara Safina with 3 appearances. That seemed a surprisingly low number, as I thought there'd be some poor unfortunate who'd have 6 GS final appearances without a win. With the men, it was a number of them with 2.

BobbyMorri

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth

Not a shock. wonder if she will come to Australia and play any tournament.

I don't think Auckland or Perth will be offering her big money with her recent performances at those 2 tournaments.

Top Bottom