News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a comment on Bernard Tomic. He is entitled to feel lost and he I am ok for him to be open about his struggles. My concern or question is why enter the competition in the 1st place? ( similar chat on Offsiders)

The easy money for losing. They don't police it enough and he knows it.

When BT was on his way to earning his keep it's alleged that TA were still funding him. So if someone offers you free money (not really free because you have to pay it back with a % of your earnings) why not take it? Bernard has lost his appreciation for money. I'm sure he did not learn this on his own.

His old man seems like an easy target for criticism and with good reason but it has been known for some time that certain tennis parents can be very manipulative and they'll go to great lengths to control their child's career. They'll even jeopardize their child's career to let them know they can't succeed without them.

Anyway Ash Barty, like Tomic, got a lot of funding for her career b/c TA were desperate for the next tennis heroes. However, when she needed a timeout, she took it and played cricket ... for peanuts. It was endorsed by TA. They waited in the hope that she would come back to tennis. She did and that faith was repaid.

The easy money for losing. They don't police it enough and he knows it.

When BT was on his way to earning his keep it's alleged that TA were still funding him. So if someone offers you free money (not really free because you have to pay it back with a % of your earnings) why not take it? Bernard has lost his appreciation for money. I'm sure he did not learn this on his own.

His old man seems like an easy target for criticism and with good reason but it has been known for some time that certain tennis parents can be very manipulative and they'll go to great lengths to control their child's career. They'll even jeopardize their child's career to let them know they can't succeed without them.

Anyway Ash Barty, like Tomic, got a lot of funding for her career b/c TA were desperate for the next tennis heroes. However, when she needed a timeout, she took it and played cricket ... for peanuts. It was endorsed by TA. They waited in the hope that she would come back to tennis. She did and that faith was repaid.
I guess I asked a question I already knew the answer to. I have heard of female players, movie stars, television actors who PLAN pregnancies around schedules etc. Players are locked in a year ahead to exos and majors and find getting out just as hard as playing.

Maybe its time the managers and hangers on stopped bludging on the player and pushing them to do things they dont want to . Including parents and Sports Authorities . Very good to hear TA did that for Barty

This is interesting. Some things are going to be trialed at the US Open this year (mainly during qualifying I think). Things being tried are shot clocks for time between points and for timeouts for clothing changes and warm ups and, most controversial for me, they are going to allow coaching form the stands.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017...e-clothing-warmup-clocks-in-qualifying/67427/

Not sure if I like the new rules, I don't mind the shot clocks but I am not fan of coaching from the stands unless it's Davis or Fed Cup.

"We're all interested in being relevant to ... fans," Allaster said in a telephone interview Thursday. "Sports have to change."

So tennis is keen to attract or keep the fans happy?!

Interesting. I guess if any of the four slams were going to start experimenting and tinkering with the game it would definitely be the US Open

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The WTA already allows coaches to talk to their players on the court.

i am not too fussed TBH

I don't really like that either but at least that is more formalised. This is a bit different as they will be allowed to coach from the stands. But how can you effectively coach from the stands when they can only do it when their player is up the same end? And there is a limit to what you can say to your player from the stands so it seems kind of half ***ed to me. And their justification is that it goes on anyway - well crack down on it if it's currently against the rules instead of changing the rules!

Interesting perspective from John Millman that it further increases the gap between the top players and the rest saying not everyone can afford a travelling coach (remembering that this will be applicable to the qualies which is basically the plodders).

I don't really like that either but at least that is more formalised. This is a bit different as they will be allowed to coach from the stands. But how can you effectively coach from the stands when they can only do it when their player is up the same end? And there is a limit to what you can say to your player from the stands so it seems kind of half ***ed to me. And their justification is that it goes on anyway - well crack down on it if it's currently against the rules instead of changing the rules!

Interesting perspective from John Millman that it further increases the gap between the top players and the rest saying not everyone can afford a travelling coach (remembering that this will be applicable to the qualies which is basically the plodders).

What can a coach do from the stands he cant do in the changeroom or at practice?

Wimbledon is looking at changing the rules relating to injured players pulling out of matches and whether they deserve the prize money . Good idea

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/c930f4542677b5040279306eed5e91cb

It is likely to be only a matter of time before the grand-slam tournaments introduce rules to prevent these scenes, which border on farce, happening again. Tim Henman, the former British No 1 who sits on the All England Club’s committee, said that something should be done.

“It’s very disappointing for everyone,” Henman told the BBC. “For me, it’s the question mark of whether the guys have come in with injuries before the match. When the prize money is so big, it’s understandable that they want that chunk of change. It’s something perhaps that needs to be looked at.”

What can a coach do from the stands he cant do in the changeroom or at practice?

To me part of the tennis match is having to deal with the mental pressure of it on your own; having to make all the tactical decisions, having to cope with frustrating line calls, your own mistakes, unexpected things from your opponent. Definitely sorts the wheat from the chaff IMO. The players I admire most are the ones with mental toughness not the ones that have a meltdown and need their coach to hold their hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The First Serve on 1116am aired last night as it does each Sunday night at 10pm during the AFL season and also on Wednesday's Nights at 11pm until July 26th. You can listen back to last nights show which featured Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley and injured Aussie James Duckworth by clicking on this link - bit.ly/2sU37AU

That reminds me...

Meant to post this when I heard it a few days ago but forgot :oops: Apparently Bernie has had some falling out with his dad and John is withholding money from him, not sure if that is the result of the falling out or the consequence. May explain his continuing to brag about all the money he supposedly has, maybe something to do with what's going on with his dad.

Last edited:

"All the skill in the world", "You've got everything" :rolleyes:

Anyone think Tomic's talent is super overrated? Even if he got it all together I doubt he'd crack the top 10, he doesn't really have any weapons.

"All the skill in the world", "You've got everything" :rolleyes:

Anyone think Tomic's talent is super overrated? Even if he got it all together I doubt he'd crack the top 10, he doesn't really have any weapons.
His talent isn't overrated in my opinion but his game style / approach has never really allowed it to shine through.

He is a top 20 player on talent but I don't think he was ever going to reach the real pointy end of tennis with his limitations. So maybe a Cilic or Berdych type of career, maybe get lucky and jag a slam like Cilic or maybe not like Berdych, if he was actually professional and dedicated to the sport. He was never going to be a big 4 level player that he was built up to be.

Tomic was always on a hiding to nothing. The hype around him as if he was going to 'save Australian tennis' was just ridiculous. He should have never been put in that position in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back