News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.tennis.com.au/news/2018/07/02/atp-2020-world-team-cup-australia

Sounds like this might actually happen. What I can't work out is what this means for Brisbane and Sydney tournaments. I would expect this will be the end of the Hopman Cup.

I'd like to know what the main driver for this is. I think it is to try and and have more attractive mens tennis in Sydney.

Last edited:
https://www.tennis.com.au/news/2018/07/02/atp-2020-world-team-cup-australia

Sounds like this might actually happen. What i can't work put is what this means for Brisbane and Sydnet tournaments. I would expect this will be the end of the Hopman Cup.

I'd like to know what the main driver for this is. I think it is to try and and have more attractive mens tennis in Sydney.
I was about to ask the same, what happens to Brisbane, Sydney and Hopman Cup ? Sydney International is already struggling to attract top players and crowds

Hopman Cup News:
CONSECUTIVE state governments have refused to, so let me tell you what impeccably connected people in tennis circles say: tennis ace Roger Federer is being paid to come to Perth. And the price is $2 million.

Despite promising a new era of transparency from opposition, the McGowan Government is in lockstep with its predecessor in declining to reveal financial terms of the deal to bring the Swiss maestro to the Hopman Cup.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/opinion...-roger-federer-for-perth-visits-ng-b88881314z

Yeah I might too, although I'm not sure why now was chosen as the time to release a documentary about events from 34 years ago.

2 new teams for the Hopman Cup. Good teams as well

The greeks will be happy. Very good team that one.

And good to see Ferrer for one last time in Australia. Muguruza might also last more than 1 round as well.

This is on top of these players. Just a cool 23 GS between them ;)

So, why are they getting rid of the Hopman Cup? Really, this is shaping up to be a great little tournament once again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hopman Cup is always in Perth.
Lol I'm aware of that.. I've seen the tournament many times and posted here for years .

But I purposely mentioned Melbourne as we have seen Marcos receive a big Greek following when he's played at the Australian open. (Hence why I said especially when Melbourne lol)

Lol I'm aware of that.. I've seen the tournament many times and posted here for years .

But I purposely mentioned Melbourne as we have seen Marcos receive a big Greek following when he's played at the Australian open. (Hence why I said especially when Melbourne lol)
I can understand the confusion. It read as bumps saw it as I did.

I thought it was obvious...lol

Since they'll be playing in Melbourne as well...

At least I'm well aware that hopman cup is in Perth!
No it wasnt obvious. Yes I am also aware where the Hopman Cup is played. Just that your post made me doubt myself

If Djokovic beats Fed at the Cincinnati final he will become the first tennis player ever to win all nine masters, all four grand slams, davis cup and world tour final in his career :)

I was asking the regular tennis fans on the First Dates thread (like Jacknah) who's played in the most GS finals without winning one? As I'm interested in that type of sports trivia. Unless there's some unknown layer from the late 1800s, early 1900s, it turns out that it's Mary Jo Fernandez and Dinara Safina with 3 appearances. That seemed a surprisingly low number, as I thought there'd be some poor unfortunate who'd have 6 GS final appearances without a win. With the men, it was a number of them with 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back