News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a shock. wonder if she will come to Australia and play any tournament.

I don't think Auckland or Perth will be offering her big money with her recent performances at those 2 tournaments.
Brisbane will go after her, will use the US meltdown as hype

Maybe after the cartoon outrage Serena will skip Australia all together this year :think:

If we're lucky...
kinda hoping she turns up and she loses. Cause if she doesn't win here, there is a big chance she won't win another anywhere else. Like Fed, the quick hardcourt should be her best chance IMO. after all, she has won 7 or something like that in Aus alone.

I know I know, a big statement against someone who has made 2 slam finals last year. But I thought they were soft draws to the final, showcased by the fact she got killed in said finals by Kerbs and Osaka. But my firm belief is that she is not the best anymore. she is 37 and plays less than Hewitt nowadays. She shouldn't be winning anymore.

Not a shock. wonder if she will come to Australia and play any tournament.

I don't think Auckland or Perth will be offering her big money with her recent performances at those 2 tournaments.
well well well. Looks like I was wrong

She is back to Perth

I wonder if they will rig the draw and have Fed v Serena in doubles(edit:see below, i say yes)

Full teams for the possible final edition of this great exo

2019 teams
Australia: Matt Ebden(lol) and Ash Barty

France: Lucas Pouille and Alize Cornet

Germany: Alexander Zverev and Angelique Kerber

Great Britain: Cameron Norrie and Katie Boulter(?)

Greece: Stefanos Tsitsipas and Maria Sakkari

Spain: David Ferrer and Garbine Muguruza

Switzerland: Roger Federer and Belinda Bencic

USA: Frances Tiafoe and Serena Williams

Edit:
Two of the world’s greatest tennis players, Serena Williams and Roger Federer, will play against each other on New Year’s Day at the Mastercard Hopman Cup in 2019, with the annual mixed team event shaping up to be one of the most hotly contested in the history of the competition.

Last edited:
You may well lol but I will be tuning in to see Matt and Ash, preferrable to me than Nick and Dasha.
i am being a little bastard to Matt, but he is not exactly a big name. That is what I meant. I would rate Nick, ADM, Millman and even the lower ranked Kokk as better drawcards.

i am being a little bastard to Matt, but he is not exactly a big name. That is what I meant. I would rate Nick, ADM, Millman and even the lower ranked Kokk as better drawcards.

Yes, I see what you are saying. He is a Western Australian though so that might help a bit. My point was that I prefer to watch well behaved players that are less talented than brats (as if I haven't made that point a gazillion times already :$ ).

That's a little harsh on Matty, he has had a great year, given he is around the 50 mark and from Perth, don't see the funny side to that one. Nick and Alex have points to defend (Nick especially with the summer) and John is from Brisbane. Pretty easy choice...

And Kokk loses 1 and 3 to an ancient and out of sorts Ferrer, yeah nah...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019 Australian Open:
- prize money up 10 per cent
- 25 second serve clock for all main draw matches
- electronic review system on all 16 match courts
- 32 seeds in the main draw and in qualifying for both men and women
- heat stress Index to replace extreme heat policy
- for the first time, 128 players in the qualifying draw for women
- continued trial of on-court coaching in qualifying
- high-profile practice matches to be held at Margaret Court Arena on each day of qualifying
- an 18-metre goal square :D (j/k)
- 3x larger Kid's Zone ($5 for kids) featuring a 12m water slide, climbing walls, children’s tennis courts and playgrounds
- the AO Ballpark will take over the eastern side of the precinct with free entertainment and professional onsite childcare

Last edited:
I guess I am in the minority but this is a change I have wanted for a long time. 70-68 is a joke and not something we should look back on fondly. I hope this change is introduced at all slams.

The only change I would make is to extend the tiebreak. First to 10 or 13 rather than 7.

I expected it but would of loved it at 20-20. I expect a few final set tiebreaks next year now, at 12-12 can actually happen a bit. Really, all you are trying to do is stop the absurd 26-24 ; 70-68 from happening. Personally, it kills the sport a bit, tennis shouldn't have a set end time, it's the beauty of the sport. There shouldn't be any tiebreakers in an ideal world.

Some of you seem to forget that every set used to be advantage. Start showing some common sense.

Wimbledon 1969
1R: S.Smith d. A.Stone 20-22 6-4 9-7 4-6 6-3
1R: R.Gonzales d. C.Pasarell 22-24 1-6 16-14 6-3 11-9
etc etc

I'm sure if the internet was around in the 1970s, there would have been many people bitching about tiebreakers.

Last edited:
Some of you seem to forget that every set used to be advantage. Start showing some common sense.

Wimbledon 1969
1R: S.Smith d. A.Stone 20-22 6-4 9-7 4-6 6-3
1R: R.Gonzales d. C.Pasarell 22-24 1-6 16-14 6-3 11-9
etc etc

I'm sure if the internet was around in the 1970s, there would have been many people bitching about tiebreakers.

I expected it but would of loved it at 20-20. I expect a few final set tiebreaks next year now, at 12-12 can actually happen a bit. Really, all you are trying to do is stop the absurd 26-24 ; 70-68 from happening. Personally, it kills the sport a bit, tennis shouldn't have a set end time, it's the beauty of the sport. There shouldn't be any tiebreakers in an ideal world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back