News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Tennis has been blessed to have a player like “Roger”. But it will also be good once he has retired so we can end the fawning.

Just a question about something in the article. Tokyo 2020. Any guesses what surface it might be? What surfaces have they put out for Davis Cup ties? If they pick clay, surely Roger has no chance, let alone the fact he will turn 39 before the Closing Ceremony.

Just a question about something in the article. Tokyo 2020. Any guesses what surface it might be? What surfaces have they put out for Davis Cup ties? If they pick clay, surely Roger has no chance, let alone the fact he will turn 39 before the Closing Ceremony.

I would be pretty confident it would be a hard court. Indoor/outdoor maybe up in the air.

Outdoor hard would suit Osaka best....

Nothing set in stone for 2019, but look at the following information below that I found at MTF:

Australian Open introducing final set super tiebreaker at 6-6

• The Australian Open has obtained permission to follow Wimbledon in shortening the potential length of matches by introducing a tie-break in the deciding set across all events.
    However, in a move that perfectly sums up the lack of uniformity across the four grand slam tournaments, Australian chiefs have decided their preference is to play a “super tie-break” at 6-6, in which the player must win ten points by a margin of two.
    With approval recently granted by the grand slam board, players are now being consulted to determine whether this should be introduced as soon as the 2019 tournament, which begins on January 14. It is possible that the full implementation could be delayed for another year, with only a trial taking place next month

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...in-introducing-final-set-tie-breaks-ljghwkth0
Horrible if it happens.

So changes were made to the lower levels of the men's competition to ostensibly make it easier and fairer for players to compete at this level. Interesting tweet from John Millman that suggests that the hew system may not be working too well.

This should probably go in the Davis Cup thread but how is Ebden not selected for this tie? It doesn't matter a great deal but this does not help Hewitt's cause at all. Makes it look like you are playing favourites if you are not selecting top 40, aussie no. 3 in a 5 man team. Just odd.

This should probably go in the Davis Cup thread but how is Ebden not selected for this tie? It doesn't matter a great deal but this does not help Hewitt's cause at all. Makes it look like you are playing favourites if you are not selecting top 40, aussie no. 3 in a 5 man team. Just odd.

I'm assuming because when it comes to the third player selected they are looking for the one with the better doubles track record, hence the selection of Thompson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so it should be:

Jan 3-12: ATP Cup (Sydney, Brisbane, Perth)
Jan 13-18: Sydney International, Kooyong Classic, World Tennis Challenge (Adelaide)
Jan 20- Feb 1: Australian Open

No reason why the Hopman Cup can't be scheduled before the ATP Cup. What chance of the Brisbane and Hobart events remaining?

kids are back to school
Just checked, kids go back on Wednesday 29th next year

Last edited:
so it should be:

Jan 3-12: ATP Cup (Sydney, Brisbane, Perth)
Jan 13-18: Sydney International, Kooyong Classic, World Tennis Challenge (Adelaide)
Jan 20- Feb 1: Australian Open

No reason why the Hopman Cup can't be scheduled before the ATP Cup. What chance of the Brisbane and Hobart events remaining?

Just checked, kids go back on Wednesday 29th next year
Good timing then.

I haven't heard much about WTA, what's going to happen to their events in Australia

If you think Jan 20 is late, have a look at 2021. When would the ATP Cup start? When would the Australian Open start?

No issues as long as the Sydney International is scrapped. Otherwise dates are a problem.
Keep in mind there are other tournaments that occur straight after the Australian Open.

Right now, WTA St. Petersburg and Hua Hin Open are currently on.

So the WTA and ATP Calendars will have change accordingly. Are they going to give the players an extended break in Dec and Jan?

If you think Jan 20 is late, have a look at 2021. When would the ATP Cup start? When would the Australian Open start?

No issues as long as the Sydney International is scrapped. Otherwise dates are a problem.
They'd probably start the ATP Cup in December and then try and get the AO started on the 18th

Good for both I reckon. Brisbane has a contract till 2022(or something like that) for a tournament. All to do with the work they did at Pat Rafter Arena. Not sure if the ATP Cup will void it but what i reckon will happen is that Brisbane becomes a lone WTA in the 2nd week.

Hobart should also stay, as no one else will take a minor WTA event a week before the AO and the WTA are separate from all this ATP Cup nonsense. Plus, I think we have a contract as well, but unsure when it runs to. It might have a soft field if players have more chances to get match practice with an extra week.

You really have to hope this ATP cup works. If we get an extra week in, you won't be able to take it back and we would be stuck with it.

So changes were made to the lower levels of the men's competition to ostensibly make it easier and fairer for players to compete at this level. Interesting tweet from John Millman that suggests that the hew system may not be working too well.

yeah, i think some WTA/ITF players are complaining about the same thing as well.

I dont really know what they did, but you think the sport is dying with all these changes happening atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back