News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if anyone has followed the Gimblestob saga but here's a very open letter by Stan. Good points raised

I am relieved that Justin Gimelstob has finally had the decency to resign from the ATP board after being sentenced for assault, but I am dismayed by how long this took. I am also concerned that many within the game think this episode is now over, and are simply relieved at having avoided any negative press themselves. This is not good enough. We are ALL accountable and we must ALL learn from this.

There is no place in our sport for those who behave like Justin. The lack of responses from people involved in the game, particularly at the beginning of this saga, when he was charged last December, was alarming. This is a situation where silence amounts to complicity.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/sta...imelstob/34bcf1c9-ddf5-40a7-8bbf-86e342887827

Just released on SBS On Demand:

"Althea Gibson’s life and achievements transcend sports. A truant from the rough streets of Harlem, Althea emerged as a most unlikely queen of the highly segregated tennis world in the 1950s. Her roots as a sharecropper’s daughter, her family’s migration north to Harlem in the 1930s, mentoring from Sugar Ray Robinson, David Dinkins and others, and fame that thrust her unwillingly into the glare of the early Civil Rights movement, all bring her story into a much broader realm of the American story."

Unraveling Athena is a feature documentary that chronicles the journey that Women Tennis Champions pass through – from small child with a large racket, to ranked player, and ultimately to WTA number one in the world, and beyond - her Journey after reaching the pinnacle. The film explores the ingredients, the common themes and qualities, that account for the remarkable achievements of these women, from different generations, nationalities and personalities. contemporary heroines. Unraveling Athena is the story of a journey, not only in professional tennis, but a journey of life that can inspire us on many levels.

Melbourne premiere - July 28: https://www.cinemanova.com.au/films/mdff-unravelling-athena

Kyrgios and American tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg met for a chat and recorded a podcast yesterday:

https://www.podbean.com/media/player/sjeih-b1516d?mix=1&vjs=1

What can I say, every second word Kyrgios says is either 'like' and every fourth word he says is 'literally.' He is painful to listen to, he sounds as if he is a 13 year old American kid with his vocabulary.

He is very contradictory with a number of things he says and does, quite frustrating to listen to.

He talks about a number of players:

Federer - Is the GOAT

Djokovic - Can't stand him. Tries too hard to be liked. His celebration is cringe worthy. Murray is a better player than him. Will never be the greatest, can't be the greatest if he has lost to Kyrgios twice.

Nadal - Very salty whenever he loses to Nick, polar opposites. Doesn't like him either.

Verdasco - Thinks he is a flog, can't stand him, thinks the sun shines out of his ass.

Last edited:
This sport needs more guys like Kyrgios.

So does AFL for that matter.
Sport really needs the likes of Kyrgios. The sport has stagnated over the past 2-3 years since fed/nadal/djokovic/murray reign went on for 10-15 years and made the sport dull.

Nick and others could be key to getting the sport lively again.

That’s disgraceful. I hope he cops a fine and a ban. There are officials at the back of the court.

Idiot needs to grow up. If he wasn’t such a s**t tennis player maybe he would win more and have less reason to behave like a child.

He needs to give the game away and get a real job.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well, big night last night. think this tweet covers all the news

I don't see how her comeback will be successful. At 36, I just don't think she will not be good enough to complete. Only truly great can complete at that age, and most have never had such a long time off.

Simona and Darren are back together. Geech, love their coach/player relationship.

And Osaka has just left her coach of 6 months. she is a worry.

Hooray Cahil and Halep back together, I'm surprised she won Wimbledon without him in the box.

Don't care about Osaka I doubt she will find a coach as good as Sasha, he was good for her. If I had a coach who took me to two successful GS in succession there would be no way I would get rid of them. She seems to be going through them this year. Even Kerber has a new coach. She doesn't seem to be able to find a coach she clicks with either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back