News & Events General Tennis News

True, Novak has a strict diet and regime.

He'll take the vaccin/medicine if it means getting back on tour. Will be a storm in a teacup. I do note he didn't completely say he wouldn't take it.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
True, Novak has a strict diet and regime.
Yeah, but it's more than that. His 'gluten sensitivity' was diagnosed by a doctor holding a slice of bread against his stomach and asking him to do pushups. Andre Agassi quit as his coach because he insisted on trying to treat his elbow issues with alternative medicine instead of getting necessary surgery.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
They'll just about have to run the whole year in 6 blocks I reckon next year to cut down on travel and leave time for quarantine where required etc.

Australian Open with all lead up tournaments in Australia (maybe incorporate NZ)
US swing leading into Indian Wells / Miami
French Open with all lead up tournaments in France
Wimbledon with all lead up tournaments in the UK
US Open with all lead up tournaments in the US (maybe incorporate Canada)
China swing leading into EOY tournaments in China

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Hopefully they make it permanent. Be good to see all the hangers-on given the heave-ho.
Interesting if they try to bring this in on the men's side. You'd think the big three would object seeing the numbers they drag around with them.

======================================================================
No more entourages as WTA limits players to one additional person per tournament

By Simon Briggs, Tennis Correspondent 21 May 2020

The new measure is another example of the sport adapting to the challenges of the coronavirus.

Entourages are a familiar sight on modern tennis.

When tournaments resume on the Women’s Tennis Association tour, entourages will no longer be a part of a pro’s life. Each player will have to select just a single person to accompany her to events, according to a sheet distributed by WTA management.

The entourage has become a staple of modern tennis. Typically, you see half-a-dozen serious faces in sunglasses, lined up in a player’s courtside box. For the big names, they include not only coaches and fitness trainers but also physios, agents, psychologists and even nutritionists.

Not in the post-Covid world, however. Speaking to Germany’s Advantage podcast on Thursday, Donna Vekic’s coach Torben Beltz described the details of the WTA’s communication as follows.

“It says that there is only one coach per player allowed to travel,” Beltz revealed, “which of course is a problem for many players’ teams. Just a few hundred people should be allowed in total at the facility.”

Beltz also explained that, in future, changeovers will have to be carried out with players walking around opposite sides of the net. Handshakes will not be permitted.

One can only imagine the sort of debate that will break out among players’ backroom teams at the idea that one person will have to fulfil all the usual duties on their own. In any case, some professionals prefer to travel with relatives or partners instead.

But Jo Durie, the former British No1, sounded amused at the fuss that this idea caused on social media on Thursday. “This is what it used to be like [for] everyone!” said Durie in a tweet. “Actually I usually went by myself as a coach was a luxury and no one ever had a physio. Come on, keep it in perspective with what else is going on.”

There will be no WTA tournaments until Aug 3 at the earliest.
=======================================================================

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Life as a Pro is much tougher these days than in Jo Durie's day. A player should be allowed a coach and trainer. I just find the whole thing OTT. I'm surprised but cannot wait for the circuit to start. I'm missing tennis so much even more than footy. Go figure and I know I'm on a footy site.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Life as a Pro is much tougher these days than in Jo Durie's day. A player should be allowed a coach and trainer. I just find the whole thing OTT. I'm surprised but cannot wait for the circuit to start. I'm missing tennis so much even more than footy. Go figure and I know I'm on a footy site.
I think it may be because it's a daily thing, I know for me I'd normally check results every morning, and potentially throughout the day, every day. It's a bigger hit to have that taken away than something weekly I guess

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
It is also I can come home from and turn it on and tune out from whatever is going on. Listening to the sound of the ball being thumped and the sound of the players shoes especially on clay. I don't know what I am going to do around Wimbledon because I am going to go into serious withdrawal symptoms.

I would of loved if each country held their own tournies. But I guess it would be a bit hard in Oz as most of the country has closed boarders, but countries like France, Germany etc have strong players that could field a mini torunament but I guess it wouldn't be able to happen due to costs etc. But it would be kind of cool if the players just did it because they wanted to play.

wait and see.

Think we might get a US Open full of US players only, with the European players staying in Europe for the FO. I can't see how the EU will let people fly in(which is not possible atm) from the US once Covid-19 starts all over again.
I do expect a few European players to skip the US Open.

Plus, I dont think the US Open is holding qualifying?

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Good thoughtful insight by Gaby Dabrowski. Will get more impact as she is a member of the players committee.

Dabrowski.jpg

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
wait and see.

Think we might get a US Open full of US players only, with the European players staying in Europe for the FO. I can't see how the EU will let people fly in(which is not possible atm) from the US once Covid-19 starts all over again.

The women have a pretty strong contingent of local players at least.

Anyone that prefers hard will surely still go to the US. Lots of players live and train there anyway.

Bernie would have his fingers crossed for direct entry from a ranking of 200.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Wait and see but this could turn in to a big story. Dimitrov has tested positive for covid. He's been playing the adria Tour that djokovic is hosting. Players including Novak, thiem, zverev, etc have been in close contact with him. Let's see what happens.

Back