News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Good message by Murray.

Mixing sympathy with a teeing-off, he said of Novak Djokovic’s revelation that he and his wife, Jelena, have tested positive for coronavirus: “First, I hope [they] are well and they recover, and that everyone who is affected is healthy and safe.” But he reserved a stiff jab for the way the world No 1 allowed his Balkans tournament to descend into a viral nightmare, from scenes of partying in a Belgrade nightclub, to the unfolding sadness of three other players testing positive in Zadar – including his friend Victor Troicki and his pregnant wife Aleksandra – and two trainers.

“In hindsight, it’s not something that should have gone ahead,” Murray said of the doomed and unsanctioned tour, which has been cancelled after two of the three legs. “It’s not surprising how many people have tested positive after seeing some of the images of the players’ party and the kids’ day. There was no social distancing in place.

Some people have said maybe this has put the US Open in doubt – which it may well do. but the measures and the protocols they have in place at the USTA [United States Tennis Association] are different to Serbia and Croatia. No fans for a start. Coronavirus doesn’t care about who we are or what we do. We need to respect it and respect the rules.

“I don’t think it has been a great look for tennis. The only positive is that, until it is safe to do so, we have no fans at the event to reduce the risk as much as possible.”

Novak was very irresponsible. Obviously he didn't listen or take the health officials advice seriously.

kyrgios is bone headed but Novak, he is just completely incompetent of organising anything and should never ever be allowed anywhere near a board or players council again. Idotic behaviour of the highest order by Novak for the past 2 months

I imagine that every person who has observed the Adria Exhibition event, had the thought go through their head that wow this entire thing is fraught with risks. Playing in front of thousands of people, players hugging each other, high fiving, being in close contact for prolonged periods, meet and greets with youngsters, partying in clubs, playing basketball getting up close and personal, photos with them hanging off each other!

Players coming in from all over the place, not being quarantined. This entire event had RISK written all over it.

Nobody is surprised that people have tested positive and have spread COVID at this event.

I don't know how much say Djokovic had over the event and how safety protocols were not followed, but the way it played out was poor, to say the least.

This event could have been held with safety protocols put in place to protect the players, attached entourages and the public, but looking from afar it certainly did not play out that way.
And who has died? Did I miss that? Things will never return to normal because of how paranoid everyone is. Crazy.

Meh, they caught the virus, and yet are fine. Show goes on.
The problem is not players catching the virus and getting sick. The problem is players and support staff acting as super-spreaders - country-hopping every other week, picking up germs, converging on a single location, swapping germs, and then scattering again.

In this case they were very fortunate that Dimitrov was diagnosed before the tournament had ended, and most players had not gone far. But with an incubation period of up to two weeks, a player could have travelled through three or four countries by the time they are diagnosed.

Multiply that by the hundreds of players and support staff present at a Grand Slam, and an outbreak at a tennis tournament could cause an explosion of the virus all over the world. Contact tracing in that situation would be nigh-on impossible.

The problem is not players catching the virus and getting sick. The problem is players and support staff country-hopping every other week - converging on a single location, swapping germs, and then scattering again.

In this case they were very fortunate that Dimitrov was diagnosed before the tournament had ended, and most players had not gone far. With an incubation period of up to two weeks, a player could have travelled through three or four countries by the time they are diagnosed.

Multiply that by the hundreds of players and support staff present at a Grand Slam, and an outbreak at a tennis tournament could cause an explosion of the virus all over the world.
It’s the ongoing debate I suppose. Live in constant fear and paranoia or try to get back to normality.

It’s the ongoing debate I suppose. Live in constant fear and paranoia or try to get back to normality.
It’s really not. On a global basis the disease is still in a steady growth phase. Until it is at least in decline, the resumption of a ‘normal’ global tennis tour is a complete non-starter.

The only way professional tennis can safely resume any time soon is in a limited number of locked-down locations with strict quarantine protocols, similar to something like the AFL or NRL.

It’s really not. On a global basis the disease is still in a steady growth phase. Until it is at least in decline, the resumption of a ‘normal’ global tennis tour is a complete non-starter.

The only way professional tennis can safely resume any time soon is in a limited number of locked-down locations with strict quarantine protocols, similar to something like the AFL or NRL.
You have your beliefs, no hard feelings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And who has died? Did I miss that? Things will never return to normal because of how paranoid everyone is. Crazy.
Really, that's what you are going with here as your point of view? Nobody has died so it's ok? Let's be realistic here, it's only in the last few days people have been infected with covid from this adria event. What if a number of people in the club get it where they partied? What if spectators get it from having attended the tennis event? What if one of those people get really sick or worst case, die from it? You realise that if someone gets hit hard with corona it is often into the 2nd week where the effects are the worst?

This event could have been held in a safe way, with protocols put in place to ensure the safety of all involved.

Really, that's what you are going with here as your point of view? Nobody has died so it's ok? Let's be realistic here, it's only in the last few days people have been infected with covid from this adria event. What if a number of people in the club get it where they partied? What if spectators get it from having attended the tennis event? What if one of those people get really sick or worst case, die from it? You realise that if someone gets hit hard with corona it is often into the 2nd week where the effects are the worst?

This event could have been held in a safe way, with protocols put in place to ensure the safety of all involved.
And what happens when no one doesn’t? Ahh, that doesn’t matter. 1003 tests and 3 people tested positive. And none are serous. But hey, watch the deaths pile up! Cause it’s always worse case scenario with you lot.

And what happens when no one doesn’t? Ahh, that doesn’t matter. 1003 tests and 3 people tested positive. And none are serous. But hey, watch the deaths pile up! Cause it’s always worse case scenario with you lot.
If nobody gets seriously sick from it, then that is a great outcome. But I sense from your response what your attitude is towards the virus.

how can anyone here say , oh its just CoVid, its nothing serious, we can return to normality blah blah blah..... Have you recently looked at the amount of people still contracting the virus all over the world and theres still missed cases constantly missed all over the world because testing everyone isnt possibly. Then look at the death rae, what is it, something like 5-10 % of all cases dying. Yeah this isnt serious at all.... geez some people , these people who dont take it seriously should go and be exposed to the virus and show us all just how its not a bad thing and that we have nothing to be concerned about

also , this moronic tournament has probably set us back 6 months, i really cant see how the US or French opens go ahead especially in such close proximity , the only way it goes ahead is if every single player, support staff, family member that travels ALL goes into strict quaratine like the AFL/NRL scenario now for 2 weeks leading into these tournaments and they have no contact with anyone during the tournament.... yeah i cant see that working.

how can anyone here say , oh its just CoVid, its nothing serious, we can return to normality blah blah blah..... Have you recently looked at the amount of people still contracting the virus all over the world and theres still missed cases constantly missed all over the world because testing everyone isnt possibly. Then look at the death rae, what is it, something like 5-10 % of all cases dying. Yeah this isnt serious at all.... geez some people , these people who dont take it seriously should go and be exposed to the virus and show us all just how its not a bad thing and that we have nothing to be concerned about
That’s incorrect but ok.

That’s incorrect but ok.
Current mortality rate is 5.16% of confirmed cases of covid. So the statement is correct.

And even if it is 3 or 4% it's still high considering 150,000 people are getting the virus per day around the world at the moment.

I'm genuinely surprised anyone would come in here and defend how this event was conducted. To come in and try to defend the way this event was played is bizarre.

yeah i havent looked at the death rate recently. But seriously how can anyone say this is all fine, its nothing, the virus isnt serious, it might all be fake... seriously, go tell me how this isnt serious

Current mortality rate is 5.16% of confirmed cases of covid. So the statement is correct.

And even if it is 3 or 4% it's still high considering 150,000 people are getting the virus per day around the world at the moment.

I'm genuinely surprised anyone would come in here and defend how this event was conducted. To come in and try to defend the way this event was played is bizarre.
Firstly then why did you say 5-10%.

Secondly there are millions of unreported cases due to being asymptomatic (or present with very mild symptoms) that do not bring down your highly inaccurate %.

Firstly then why did you say 5-10%.

Secondly there are millions of unreported cases due to being asymptomatic (or present with very mild symptoms) that do not bring down your highly inaccurate %.
I wasn't the person who made the claim of 5-10% but I did give you the most current mortality rate, with the data that we have on hand currently. You can make claims as you like about unreported cases, but the only facts we have are that the mortality rate is 5.16%

The players have come out and apologised for their behaviour at this tournament, so why are you defending it?

This is a tennis thread, so we are getting sidetracked. But we are in the midst of a pandemic, with cases rising by over 100,000 per day. Thousands have died from it, we don't know the long lasting effects on people who have had bad cases of it but survived. And you are here saying we need to get on with life? Don't want my diabetic dad getting it or either of my elderly grandmothers getting it. You happy for a close elderly family member contracting covid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back