News & Events General Tennis News

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Here is the first piece of news on the Australian open for 2022. I'm real danger of it not being played in Melbourne due to the federal government border policy.

Still reasonably early (although it's coming up fast). I'm still very glad they did it this year but I would completely understand if it didn't happen this year. Australian Open in Dubai does sound strange though.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Australian open will go offshore for sure, quarantine will not happen again like this year and our federal government is to scared to open the border before the next election.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I really hope China doesn't take the Australian Open, we will probably never the tournament held here again
Dont think even world tennis would be dumb enough to do that.

Something so important could be canned so easily. All it would take is one player to say Taiwan and Chian will take its bat and go home. Massive risk. The Asian Swing is enough.

I am not against the Arab States for one year if it comes down to that. They helped out greatly this year.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
My understanding is that the current proposal for major international sporting events moving forward is players must be vaccinated and there is a seven day quarantine - I am unsure exactly how strict the quarantine will be but there must be some doubt on the 2022 edition - Finally if there is no F1, Aus Tennis Open, TDU etc then Australia will be the laughing stock of the world - There would have 5 Grand Slams played in a bubble since COVID hit in 2020.

Given the latest covid19 outbreak in Melbourne looks unlikely the Australian open will be held here next year.

The COVID outbreak in Melbourne has no influence on whether the Oz Open happens in Melbourne - It's the unrealistic quarantine arrangements that will stop the Oz Open.

Not sure what's going on with Zverev but seems like the latest allegations won't go away

Recently Courier spoke about Zverev's image

Rothenburg acts like a child who can't get his own way - His tweets show his disappointment that the tennis authorities or the media won't bombard the public 24 hrs a day.

The US Open will ditch the bubble system as long as you are vaccinated - This will apply to most players and officials and should be the way moving forward - Yet, Australia is still insisting on a 14 day quarantine period which will not work in the current period.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The US Open will ditch the bubble system as long as you are vaccinated - This will apply to most players and officials and should be the way moving forward - Yet, Australia is still insisting on a 14 day quarantine period which will not work in the current period.
yeah.

I have no hope that we will have any tennis here next year.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
I cannot see anything changing regarding quarantine for international arrivals until after the federal election.

Back