News & Events General Tennis News

Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
The US Open will ditch the bubble system as long as you are vaccinated - This will apply to most players and officials and should be the way moving forward - Yet, Australia is still insisting on a 14 day quarantine period which will not work in the current period.

And so Australia should insist on the 14 day quarantine period.

I think a delayed Open is more likely

The 2021 Oz Open was a special circumstance in that there was limited tennis in 2020, so the players were willing to quarantine because of the prizemoney and to support the tournament - There will be no such favors in 2022 - And how long can you delay the 2022 tournament when the calendar will be close to 100% normal.

The 2021 Oz Open was a special circumstance in that there was limited tennis in 2020, so the players were willing to quarantine because of the prizemoney and to support the tournament - There will be no such favors in 2022 - And how long can you delay the 2022 tournament when the calendar will be close to 100% normal.

It's a slam, they will try and find other ways. Whether it be Feb/March or even later in the year. Let's wait and see what happens

If they hold the Oz Open outside Melbourne they can do it anytime

;)

Dubai is a live option at this stage - The OZ Open will be held at the allocated time - It's a moving feast at the moment.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

Long article about the money issues on the tennis tour regarding the lower levels, and the role of the PTPA on this. Nothing we don't know about but the PTPA is not going away.

New Zealand and Australia are way out of kilter with the rest of the world when it comes to COVID - By January 2022 both countries should have vaccinated their population, and there should be no need for quarantine for Vaxxed people which would cover the tennis players.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne set to be cancelled

It comes after long negotiations over a quarantine hub for drivers broke down, with the official announcement expected on Tuesday afternoon

Race officials reportedly put a proposal to the Victorian Government asking racing teams to fly in and out of a strict bubble because a two-week hotel quarantine wasn’t feasible as it meant drivers would miss other races overseas.

The annual race in Melbourne sees hundreds of F1 crew members fly in from overseas, a move which would have proved unpopular with the public this year as Australia struggles to contain the Delta strain of coronavirus

not good news for another major event 2 months later. I feel for Tennis Aus.

Covid is frustrating. everything about it is annoying. From the vaccine rollout, to travel restrictions, to the fear and the disease itself. I stop my mini rant there. a lot of emotions regarding covid and a lot of endless debate regarding it. I like to stay clear of that

I'm resigning to the fact that Aus Open 2022 just may not happen. We had to the quarantine experiment this year, I'm glad we did it but there is no way that will happen.

Honestly, if I was TA, I would be trying to find a way to hold it in October in some time for 2022 but that means 2 Aus Opens in 4 months and can't see that as being very likely either.

It's just a s*** situation really. Just have to enjoy we got a Wimbledon this year (and basically a normal Wimbledon at that)

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
should add that the Vic sports minister has said this cancellation won't impact Melbournes ability to host the Aus Open. He is either a fool or a lair. He is a pollie, so probably both.

I think we all know that tennis players won't put up with 2 weeks stuck in a hotel again.

I'm resigning to the fact that Aus Open 2022 just may not happen. We had to the quarantine experiment this year, I'm glad we did it but there is no way that will happen.

Honestly, if I was TA, I would be trying to find a way to hold it in October in some time for 2022 but that means 2 Aus Opens in 4 months and can't see that as being very likely either.

It's just a s*** situation really. Just have to enjoy we got a Wimbledon this year (and basically a normal Wimbledon at that)

Be tough to find a slot for an Aus Open. Would depend on China. I think the backup plan is an Aus Open in the Gulf. Hey, good for them. They deserve it after this year. But will cost tennis Aus so much money.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
If the federal government got their ass into gear and had enough Pfizer vaccine supply, we'd be fine at this point. But they don't and 2 week quarantine remains in place at this point. There is little to no chance players and support staff will do the 2 week quarantine again.

Losing the F1 and moto GP 2 years in a row is a huge blow to our event calendar and all the industries that it supports.

We cannot afford to lose the Australian Open next year.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
I seriously doubt if the Aus Open will go ahead considering that one of the lead up tournaments has been cancelled
Today's announcement of the F1 and moto GP cancellation would send a shiver down the spines of TA. They put all their eggs into the basket this year money wise.

Allowing another country to host the grand slam would be a huge risk and a potential slippery slope to us losing it in the future.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
On Perth local ABC the sports journalists pointed out the motor GP etc might go to China that mad me very nervous about the tennis as it was mentioned here about it going to Dubai which I am not thrilled about.

What frustrates me is why health authorities are even having the discussion about quarantine - They must know how the other parts of the world are holding international sporting competitions by using a 'bubble' - I guarantee you that if 'bubbles' were a medical risk to a community then they would be stopped.

I suggest the 2022 TDU will be cancelled, the 2022 Oz Open will be relocated to Dubai, the 2022 F1 will not happen in March and I even have doubts about the September 2022 world Cycling championship in Wollongong.

should add that the Vic sports minister has said this cancellation won't impact Melbournes ability to host the Aus Open. He is either a fool or a lair. He is a pollie, so probably both.

I think we all know that tennis players won't put up with 2 weeks stuck in a hotel again.

Be tough to find a slot for an Aus Open. Would depend on China. I think the backup plan is an Aus Open in the Gulf. Hey, good for them. They deserve it after this year. But will cost tennis Aus so much money.

I expect the open will be held in Dubai - Tennis Australia will do OK with this deal - It's not feasible to play in October 2022 because you need certainty in the calendar - I'll also add that if you study the Federal Government's road map then life will not be back to normal until well into the back half of 2022 - Even now the Government is insisting that vaccinated returnees should still do 14 days of hotel quarantine while the rest of the world is either reducing quarantine time, looking at home isolation or in many cases abolishing quarantine.

It seems like China is reopening to the world for international events from September - There is a big swing of tournaments in this period and it appears that some ( not all ) will go ahead which is good news - It's not surprising they are due to hold the Winter Olympics in February 2022.

Back