News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Osaka is back ( just in time for the Olympics and US tennis tournaments)

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
She must have some absolute snakes advising her. Raking in a lot of money sure but way to trash your public perception.
mainstream public perception is grand

sports fans though. ...............I don't think you find many fans of her on this forum. I am certainty against her.

Good for her to win an award. Funny she isn't even the best women's tennis player on tour..

sports fans though. ...............I don't think you find many fans of her on this forum. I am certainty against her.

Good for her to win an award. Funny she isn't even the best women's tennis player on tour..

Mainstream media, no surprise she won the award.

Plus her latest Time feature helps her profile

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon

ESPN and this this award are extremely American centric. They have latched on to Osaka as one of their own and it's no surprise she won the award.

If you asked most Americans who Barty is, they'd have no idea. Osaka is a celebrity, following in the footsteps of Serena.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

When tennis crowds get on her back it will be Adam Goodes all over again.

The espn award must just be for sports they have the rights to. I think I saw Azarenka was nominated for it and she wouldn't even be in the top 20 female tennis players.

She must have some absolute snakes advising her. Raking in a lot of money sure but way to trash your public perception.
Seems like her PR team are advising her to play a certain narrative and the French Open drama received mixed reviews. She's happy to pose for Vogue and Time as that will improve her profile and revenue

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I would be more surprised if she wins the end of year award I think it is the Laurenza award or something like that.

I have no idea how Ash is going to go at the olympics after just winning Wimbldon she will be all over the place.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
I would be more surprised if she wins the end of year award I think it is the Laurenza award or something like that.

I have no idea how Ash is going to go at the olympics after just winning Wimbldon she will be all over the place.
The laureus awards. Certainly more acclaimed than an American (ESPN) award.

Barty will do everything she can to win Olympic gold for Australia. Nothing surer!

Reckon Barty may have more success in the doubles at the Olympics - She's a top notch doubles player. Craig Tiley has confirmed the players will not do a 14 day quarantine for the 2022 Oz Open - A bubble is the preferred option - At least the players are saving the Government from wasting taxpayers money on a quarantine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The WTA Canadian Open in mid August will be a cracker with 18 of the top 20 entered - It seemed that the Canadian swing was not happening but there must have been some arm twisting in the background.
not sure about the Canadian leg. seems the unvaccinated players will have to quarantine. might be a lot of withdrawals from players not wanting to deal with a border.

Players are dropping like flies at the Olympics. Azarenka, Kerber, Shapovalov, Andreescu to name but a few. This is on top of Federer, Serena and Rafa.

on cue

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Players are dropping like flies at the Olympics. Azarenka, Kerber, Shapovalov, Andreescu to name but a few. This is on top of Federer, Serena and Rafa.

on cue

Still 8 out of the top 10 in the ATP race going to Tokyo at the minute so it will be a great tournament.
Women's draw is still stacked as well. Can't wait for the tennis at the Olympics to be honest.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Should we create a separate thread for Olympic Tennis in the tennis forum or the Olympic Forum?

5 years ago, we just had a thread on the tennis forum. That was 6 pages long for a memorable tournament. Novak crying, Del Potro dominating in front of a local audience, Murray winning and Puig coming from the clouds to win Puerto Rico first gold medal

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Should we create a separate thread for Olympic Tennis in the tennis forum or the Olympic Forum?

5 years ago, we just had a thread on the tennis forum. That was 6 pages long for a memorable tournament. Novak crying, Del Potro dominating in front of a local audience, Murray winning and Puig coming from the clouds to win Puerto Rico first gold medal
Create one in the tennis thread I reckon.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
For some reason I thought it was mandatory for tennis players to get vaccinated considering they are always travelling

I thought it was for the Olympics

oh well, he will have it one day. Will be a requirement to enter into certain countries on tour.

In other news, Thiem has played his last match in 2021. Needs more time to rest his wrist and is not rushing back. So, hopefully, we will see him in Dubai for the first slam of the 2022 season

I thought it was for the Olympics

oh well, he will have it one day. Will be a requirement to enter into certain countries on tour.

In other news, Thiem has played his last match in 2021. Needs more time to rest his wrist and is not rushing back. So, hopefully, we will see him in Dubai for the first slam of the 2022 season
Thiem has struggled since winning the US Open, he did play a lot of tennis prior to winning his first GS. He needs a break.

I am actually surprised Stefanos wasnt even vaccinated for the Olympics, I also thought that was mandatory.

Back