News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Thiem has struggled since winning the US Open, he did play a lot of tennis prior to winning his first GS. He needs a break.

I am actually surprised Stefanos wasnt even vaccinated for the Olympics, I also thought that was mandatory.
It was not mandatory to be vaccinated to compete at the Olympics. It may have been compulsory for Australian athletes and officials, but we certainly went above and beyond the rest of the world with our covid safe measures.

If it has not been compulsory for Tsitsipas to be vaccinated and he can still travel and play, then it is his call. I'm sure there are other players out there who are not vaccinated either.

In other news, Thiem has played his last match in 2021. Needs more time to rest his wrist and is not rushing back. So, hopefully, we will see him in Dubai for the first slam of the 2022 season

1629329130801.png

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Nadal is now out of 2021.

Rafael Nadal says he has ended his 2021 season because of a foot injury. anyone who heard the reports after Washington saw this coming.

Could be the end of him as well. I dont speak Spanish but his tweets indicate that it is a long term issue from all the way in 2005. very concerning that, he hasn't played since the French Open and he still can't get right.

Little bit of news flowing through regarding the Australian Open and TA having a media event yesterday. The takeaway is that it looks like we may be having a similar schedule to last year with events in Melbourne/Victoria before AO starts. One week training, one week competition, then Aus Open but in it's usual January spot this time.

See if Dan knows about this time around after last year's first announcement bungle up.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
See if Dan knows about this time around after last year's first announcement bungle up.
Andrews/Vic government doesn't really care about big events at this stage.

Tiley and TA can do all the prep work they like, but the Vic government and Vic Health will do what they believe is best for citizens of the state.

I hold less hope of running the AO in 2022 than I did it running in 2021. If they make vaccination compulsory I will expect a number of players not to turn up.

There is still way too much to play out in Australia to know what will happen.

Andrews/Vic government doesn't really care about big events at this stage.

Tiley and TA can do all the prep work they like, but the Vic government and Vic Health will do what they believe is best for citizens of the state.

I hold less hope of running the AO in 2022 than I did it running in 2021. If they make vaccination compulsory I will expect a number of players not to turn up.

There is still way too much to play out in Australia to know what will happen.

I agree, but it'll interesting if they ran this announcement at all by the Victorian government, remember last year's dumb announcement.

I'm surprised it's not mandatory for tennis player to be vaccinated, surely we aren't the only country that has that as a condition of entry.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree, but it'll interesting if they ran this announcement at all by the Victorian government, remember last year's dumb announcement.

I'm surprised it's not mandatory for tennis player to be vaccinated, surely we aren't the only country that has that as a condition of entry.
I can't remember the announcement you are talking about. Too many press conferences to remember over the past year and a half.

The idea of a bubble where players are allowed to be in a precinct together where they can train and move around within it sounds more reasonable than what they had to put up with this year.

Whether it goes ahead will also depend on what our vaccinated rate is here in Victoria as well.

The idea of being vaccinated to play the Australian Open is fine, but if there is any form of strict quarantine then I doubt the players will agree - This should be a non-issue as Australia will have reached its vaccination targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The idea of being vaccinated to play the Australian Open is fine, but if there is any form of strict quarantine then I doubt the players will agree - This should be a non-issue as Australia will have reached its vaccination targets.
ironically, Victoria's outbreak will help the Aus Open this year.

I have no faith that we will have an Aus Open this year still. Be interesting to see how we will cope with "living" with it and if we will allow crowds if we have an Aussie Summer of Tennis, but that is another topic for another forum.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
ironically, Victoria's outbreak will help the Aus Open this year.

I have no faith that we will have an Aus Open this year still. Be interesting to see how we will cope with "living" with it and if we will allow crowds if we have an Aussie Summer of Tennis, but that is another topic for another forum.
I'm hoping (still very doubtful) that the Aus open will be played in Melbourne in January 2022 and only fans who are fully vaccinated will be allowed to attend. Just like the US open is doing now.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't hold much hope as the golf won't be played so that is not looking great for tennis.

As WA is covid free for now I would love to see some sort of tournament played at different tennis clubs around Perth. Perth has a number of great courts such as the State tennis academy which next is next to Crown where the hopman club was first played. Players could stay at Joondalup resort like the footy players. It would also give club tennis players the chance to see top players.

Just a thought.

No way they're letting anyone in at Perth.

Golf doesn't really compare because it doesn't generate anyway near the same money so not even worth trying.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
NSW will be letting people in from international shores sooner than you would think I feel. Victoria is a month or 2 away from NSW. The other Aus states will be a month or 3 behind Victoria. I reckon we will have another Victorian/NSW Summer of tennis. doubtful on crowds but will depend on how our hospitals cope and what the mood is from the public. Tennis Aus won't mind. They need to get this done for TV rights money. and they can't do what they did this year

this outbreak has been a blessing in a way for Tennis Aus. We are shifting our mindset but some states will be slower than others. I do think Tennis players/others will have to be jabbed and tested to arrive. Still, 4 months for Covid to play out, so a lot can change.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
On this, NSW looks likely to HOST the Socceroos v Oman in October. Huge for Aus Open. A lot of conditions but still, a major international event without the 14 days

I am a lot more confident of an Aus open than I was a couple of weeks ago.

On this, NSW looks likely to HOST the Socceroos v Oman in October. Huge for Aus Open. A lot of conditions but still, a major international event without the 14 days

I am a lot more confident of an Aus open than I was a couple of weeks ago.
That's great news.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
At this stage you can expect for all players to be welcomed to compete in the AO, however, un-vaccinated players will have some hoops to jump through that vaccinated players won't. Can also expect that to go as a spectator you'll need to be vaccinated given Dan's messaging and that workers at the event have to be vaccinated.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
At this stage you can expect for all players to be welcomed to compete in the AO, however, un-vaccinated players will have some hoops to jump through that vaccinated players won't. Can also expect that to go as a spectator you'll need to be vaccinated given Dan's messaging and that workers at the event have to be vaccinated.
One of the tennis journalists on twitter recently mention it was about 50% of wta and ATP players had been vaccinated. Will be interesting what they do there.

I'm hoping that it is a vaccinated only spectator event. Bring that on. They did for the us open and I think at Wimbledon as well. Will make it a better event.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
One of the tennis journalists on twitter recently mention it was about 50% of wta and ATP players had been vaccinated. Will be interesting what they do there.

I'm hoping that it is a vaccinated only spectator event. Bring that on. They did for the us open and I think at Wimbledon as well. Will make it a better event.
WTA is at about 60% vaccinated, the ATP is lagging, I don't think they were even at 40% as of last week. I'd expect the unvaccinated may have to quarantine, not allowed outside a bubble etc. There will certainly be more freedoms for the vaccinated players

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What was Roger Rasheed's health scare on/in his head about 6 months ago, and did it prompt him to finally get rid of the head-possum?
"...I went to battle with the surgeon's knife in 9 locations....thankfully all clear..."

O7B2QAT.jpg

2lNlDZ5.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back