News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the tennis journalists on twitter recently mention it was about 50% of wta and ATP players had been vaccinated. Will be interesting what they do there.

I'm hoping that it is a vaccinated only spectator event. Bring that on. They did for the us open and I think at Wimbledon as well. Will make it a better event.
its going to really suck being unvaccinated in the coming year. On top of being more likely to get sick, a lot of events and "freedoms" will be denied to you.

Oh well. sucks to be them

its going to really suck being unvaccinated in the coming year. On top of being more likely to get sick, a lot of events and "freedoms" will be denied to you.

Oh well. sucks to be them
The more people vaccinated the better for our healthcare system. So whatever encourages people to do it is a plus for me. If one of those things to encourage people is to get vaccinated so they can attend events like the Australian open, then I'm all for it.

Nine/Stan have picked up the rights to the US Open in 3 year deal starting next year
Must be happy with the TV ratings and subs for the French and Wimbledon(and Aus). They really lucked up this year with Ash Barty winning Wimbledon when she did. Good sign for the health of tennis in this country

Good to have all the slams in one place. Sucks that I dont have Stan!!!

Rumours going around that qualifying for AO will take place in Doha/Dubai again but around Christmas time to allow players to get here for the warm-up events and AO.

Hopefully we hear something earlier this year although the Victorian Government do have a few other things on the mind atm.

What court does it replace?

It took some of those courts near Melbourne Arena, like courts 17-18, think it only took a couple of those

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am struggling to understand why qualifying has to be off-shore considering Australia would have reached its vaccination coverage by January - You either have a proper tournament with all its 'bells and whistles' or you move the whole tournament off-shore - It's bizarre, when you consider that going back to May, all the other Grand Slams had their qualifying done in the same country.

Edit: it seems that the AO want all players in Australia before XMAS - Could this result in some players missing the tournament.

Last edited:
I just don't know what this is going to accomplish.

The legal system struggles to prosecute cases like this, so what are a sporting organisation with less resources actually going to do?

Either they conclude there was no wrongdoing on Zverev's part, which won't be believed by many, or they conclude there was and Zverev sues the s**t out of them.

It's all optics, but I appreciate that there isn't really a whole lot else that can be done, and doing nothing isn't ideal.

I just don't know what this is going to accomplish.

The legal system struggles to prosecute cases like this, so what are a sporting organisation with less resources actually going to do?

Either they conclude there was no wrongdoing on Zverev's part, which won't be believed by many, or they conclude there was and Zverev sues the sh*t out of them.

It's all optics, but I appreciate that there isn't really a whole lot else that can be done, and doing nothing isn't ideal.
I think it is better than completely ignoring it. It wasn't going away, as seen by the recent incidents.

Its review will say a lot but say nothing at all, if you get my drift.

this might be something. hopefully, it is not.

Peng Shuai has gone missing a week since she made a rape claim against a CCP (China) most influential men. I hope she is alright and I hope the WTA makes sure she is.

The End of year champs in Mexico has been a huge success.

Unfortunately, if she's currently in China then it probably is something. I've seen first-hand how untouchable guys with power are over there, members of the public are totally afraid, it's pretty ******* scary and hard to comprehend as an Australian

Unfortunately, if she's currently in China then it probably is something. I've seen first-hand how untouchable guys with power are over there, members of the public are totally afraid, it's pretty ******* scary and hard to comprehend as an Australian
I will be disgusted if the WTA and the whole tennis world turns a blind eye to this. I really really hope she is alright. If not, then it is time to shun China from tennis

The WTA is, sadly, dependent on China for a lot of its money, so it will never happen.

Would be great if we had a players union right now (cough cough Novak. here is another chance for the PTA to actually do something other than press statements)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back