News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

ATP backing up the WTA.

rumour is that she is safe but under house arrest.

Novak thoughts. good to see.
"I did hear about it a week ago. Honestly, it's shocking that she's missing, more so that it's someone that I have seen on the tour in the previous years quite a few times," the Serb said after his win over Casper Ruud at the ATP Finals on Monday.

The WTA and National Boards and every professional player needs to find a voice.

The only thing China listens to is noise. If it is easier to push her out of the country they will do so
I don't know if more pressure is good or not. China is China, they very much aren't us. They might want to prove to the world that they are a big country and act all tough. I hope that they do what you just said. Just kick Peng out of the country(which is sad by itself).

It will be interesting to see if Su-Wei Hsieh has anything to say in the post-match in the doubles. She partnered with Peng back in the 2010's and won grand slams togethere but she is also Taiwanese, so she understands China better than any of us can and the risk China poses. they also had a messy breakup

I don't know if more pressure is good or not. China is China, they very much aren't us. They might want to prove to the world that they are a big country and act all tough. I hope that they do what you just said. Just kick Peng out of the country(which is sad by itself).

It will be interesting to see if Su-Wei Hsieh has anything to say in the post-match in the doubles. She partnered with Peng back in the 2010's and won grand slams togethere but she is also Taiwanese, so she understands China better than any of us can and the risk China poses. they also had a messy breakup
she was asked a question in the press conference afterwards. She was given an option to answer it or not. Didnt say much but hopes Shaui is safe (Mertens passed)

wow. The WTA are really standing up for Peng. Not many businesses have the guts to do what the WTA are doing. Looking at you, NBA and Lebron James.

all credit to them. It is something I did not expect. Will be interesting if there is any tennis tournaments in China next year. Knowing China, the WTA won't be given a choice.

Serena Williams has also added her significant voice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am unsure you will even get an investigation and if you do get an investigation will you get a satisfactory outcome, whether in China or elsewhere. It could be that Shuai is under some form of house arrest BUT it's common for people who cause controversy to withdraw from society, close social media accounts etc.

I am unsure what the WTA or others will get out of the case - Shuai has not played since Feb 2020 and is in effect is semi-retired. The WTA was disappointed that China reneged on their promise to open their borders in the back half of 2021, so may have been emboldened to speak out in strong terms - Anyway, the way China is handling it's international borders there is no guarantee tennis will happen in 2022 - Finally, if tennis returns to China the players will be there with bells on.

Last edited:

Those are fighting words by the world number 1. The Whitehouse was asked about Peng Shaui and more and more players have joined in, including Halep, the Monflis' and Coco.

If I was Cornet, I would be feeling pretty proud of myself. She started all this a week ago. I am so happy that the WTA are taking a tough stand to this. Hopefully, they don't need to and are willing to actually follow through. I wish more sporting organisations would stand against China. NBA, you are piss weak.

on that, the ITF and IOC are basically silent

China are stepping up media coverage that she is fine. Videos posted by Chinese state-sponsored twitter accounts, which I am not going to post cause they are propaganda, show Peng having dinner with friends and then attending a junior tennis event the next day.

I suspect the dinner was "staged" and the tennis event looks like it was from September this year. But who knows. they are a lot more believable than the email from the other day. Still, Pengs name is "not found" in China, so nothing has really changed.

Nicely done by the IOC and China. Win win for both sides.

for once, I fully agree with Ben. By doing this, the IOC get to say that their "quiet diplomacy" has worked and shove off criticism that they have done nothing. For me, it shows they are gutless, another organisation willing to play into the lies of China. It is even worse, they are willing to be used by China. For China, it is another step to lie to the world regarding Peng and her freedoms. Their cronies are already blaming "western" media for attacking China on this issue.

My question is Peng name is still "user not found" in China. That tells us all we need to know about what China truly thinks of Peng Shuai and her freedoms and if she will get any justice. lol, as if that would happen to the CCP.

The problem with Ben is that he lives in the twitter sphere which is a closed shop and an echo chamber - He tweeted his disappointment two days ago that there had been no tweet of support or concern from the IOC, Ash Barty or the ITF - Somehow, the IOC has made some form of contact with Shuai, but of course this is not good enough for Ben who is being disingenuous with his comments - The HashTag 'Where is Peng Shuai' was aimed at pressuring the Chinese Government to show that Shuai was alive and well, hence the pictures and videos - This was the first step in the process and how far we get with the rest is anyone's guess.

I'd like Peng Shuai to attend the Australian Open as a guest of Tennis Australia - To achieve this difficult task, you will need diplomacy, not shouting through tweets.

Heard that Peng was pregnant and was forced to have an abortion. Also hearing the WTA have asked other Chinese players to reach out to Peng but they're afraid of the CCP seeing the comms so they won't. Chinese players are also extending their season because they're afraid if they go back to China now they won't be let back out. They're in a tough situation, of course they'd want to join the chorus against what's happening here with Peng but they'll be hanging themselves out to dry when they return there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back