News & Events General Tennis News

I don't think they were ever going there in 2022 anyways, Olympics-aside I don't think China was going to let any other sporting events take place.

To me, it's a hard but easy decision for the WTA.

Matt is spot on with his post - There is no certainty the 2022 tournaments would have gone ahead - My guess is the WTA will seek riches in the Middle East, except if the WTA is serious about supporting women's rights then they may run into trouble.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Tennis Australia had a loss of 100 million in the last financial year, due to the cost of staging the AO in 2021.

TA paid for flights, hotel quarantine of all players and crew, plus no crowds on some days and a reduction in capacity on other days.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
ITF comes out and won’t officially withdraw tennis because it’s not ‘fair’ on China to punish billions of people from tennis.
ITF know what they want and don’t care. Peng says she’s being or has been sexually assaulted. ITF values money over human rights. Just like they did with Davis Cup by hosting the tournament in a Middle Eastern country. Ludicrous

ITF comes out and won’t officially withdraw tennis because it’s not ‘fair’ on China to punish billions of people from tennis.
ITF know what they want and don’t care. Peng says she’s being or has been sexually assaulted. ITF values money over human rights. Just like they did with Davis Cup by hosting the tournament in a Middle Eastern country. Ludicrous

About 11 fans come out for those events so it is insane statement to make.

Could of easily just done nothing for a while since there is no certainty events are going be held there in 2022 anyway.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
About 11 fans come out for those events so it is insane statement to make.

Could of easily just done nothing for a while since there is no certainty events are going be held there in 2022 anyway.
China, Chinese based companies sponsor major events- just look at Australian open. They’re not ballsy enough to make a statement.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
"According to credible reports, the ITF made a last-minute U-turn on its stance regarding the Peng Shuai situation by deciding to back the WTA and suspend all ITF events in the country next year."

Anyone know what is going to happen with tennis streaming moving forward, i see tennis tv are not taking new subscribers

No, that's just a temporary thing.

So they are just going to jack the price up a lot for the new season then I take it if they won't let people subscribe atm.

They say maintenance so yeah, probably.

A post was made in this thread two or three weeks ago detailing the alleged true situation ( i believe it is correct ) with Peng Shuai and the Chinese official - The WTA is kidding themselves if they think their will be a substantive investigation by Chinese authorities into Shuai's allegations - I doubt this would happen in any country in the world.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Back