List Mgmt. General Trade/Draft/Free Agency Discussion/Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how many rookies we will pick up?

Beatson has said we won't take any. We've already committed to / pre-listed Mitchell and Perris.

On a different topic to where the thread has been for the past few pages, my other major disappointment from the draft was the failure to commit to any other NSW talent. We've done decently at this in the past, but there were a few players like Max King, Michael Gibbons, and our academy players Hiscox and Green, who were available for those 2 spots on our list we aren't using.

Last year we obviously took Naismith, Robinson and Rampe, so it would have been good to take a couple of players again this year to show that commitment to developing NSW youngsters.

I get the feeling he probably doesn't wanna come to Sydney or we would of been all over him.

Very much doubt that, Beatson said we won't take anyone else, and that includes better players than Joel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh i know but everyone was saying he was a standout as a defender in the SANFL and is only 25yrs old.

Is SANFL standard close to VFL?

Key position defenders on our list

Richards, Grundy, LRT, AJ, Possibly Reid if things get sticky (And I see him as a defender going forward), X.Richards and Aliir Aliir.

I would have thought we now have enough defending options and some cover for injury, Especially with LRT and Johnson expected to be fine for the start of the season.

Pretty disappointed to hear wer not interested in Tippett

Agree, I reckon his skills and size when stacked up against the new interchange rules and the monster forwards/resting ruckmen that keep popping up in the forward half would make him much more draftable.

But I'll save my disappointment for the fact we won't have a live pick in the rookie draft, I think that's a bad call. Guaranteed there will be value at our first pick

Key position defenders on our list

Richards, Grundy, LRT, AJ, Possibly Reid if things get sticky (And I see him as a defender going forward), X.Richards and Aliir Aliir.

I would have thought we now have enough defending options and some cover for injury, Especially with LRT and Johnson expected to be fine for the start of the season.

I look at that list and think we're short on height and short on quality back up. AJ is a question mark with his injury, Richards and LRT have a year or two left - max. Grundy is serviceable but not really KPD size and Reid is untried in defence at this level. X Richards and Aliir are speculative at best.

We have numbers, no doubt. But do so we have the quality?

I look at that list and think we're short on height and short on quality back up. AJ is a question mark with his injury, Richards and LRT have a year or two left - max. Grundy is serviceable but not really KPD size and Reid is untried in defence at this level. X Richards and Aliir are speculative at best.

We have Walsh 195cm 98kg, if worst come to worst he could go down back as last year they had him working on that swing man role but quality ( meh ) I would think.

AJ is back and running now in the pre-season, I think he should make a full recovery.

I think Richards should have 3 years left in him, hasn't slowed down much and relies more on his smarts rather than speed or strength.

Grundy has been more than serviceable for a few years now, Yes he can occasionally make a pretty bad clanger and can be beaten by some of the bigger forwards (I.e Cloke and even then most defenders can't deal with him) but at the moment I think he is one of the most underrated players in our team and his position in our best and fairest reflects that.

Reid was a better defender than forward when coming through under 18's and has shown at this level he can be thrown behind the play to great effect (Look at the game against Fremantle for a great example of this)

LRT probably does only have 2 years left in him but during that time it should allow us to recruit/ develop another key defender going forward.

X. Richard's showed a fair bit at NEAFL this year and whilst he was only briefly tried at AFL level he didn't look out of place.

Aliir Aliir the just is probably out on him a little but he certainly does have the athletic traits to hopefully make something out of himself at top level.

Most teams in the competition wouldn't have more than 3 Key Defenders on their list that would be competent at AFL level and if we have a good run with injury over the next few years I think we should be more than fine.

AJ is back and running now in the pre-season, I think he should make a full recovery.

I think Richards should have 3 years left in him, hasn't slowed down much and relies more on his smarts rather than speed or strength.

Grundy has been more than serviceable for a few years now, Yes he can occasionally make a pretty bad clanger and can be beaten by some of the bigger forwards (I.e Cloke and even then most defenders can't deal with him) but at the moment I think he is one of the most underrated players in our team and his position in our best and fairest reflects that.

Reid was a better defender than forward when coming through under 18's and has shown at this level he can be thrown behind the play to great effect (Look at the game against Fremantle for a great example of this)

LRT probably does only have 2 years left in him but during that time it should allow us to recruit/ develop another key defender going forward.

X. Richard's showed a fair bit at NEAFL this year and whilst he was only briefly tried at AFL level he didn't look out of place.

Aliir Aliir the just is probably out on him a little but he certainly does have the athletic traits to hopefully make something out of himself at top level.

Most teams in the competition wouldn't have more than 3 Key Defenders on their list that would be competent at AFL level and if we have a good run with injury over the next few years I think we should be more than fine.
GWS has a few key backs coming out of contract next year I'm sure we can pinch either Corr or Jacksch, gws has plenty of key defenders and it's good payback for Jed Lamb

Big wraps on Joel over here in SA. Really progressed as a defender and his worth as an AFL footballer has risen well above where he was at his past clubs. I have no doubt he'd be an asset to our club but then again if we can't afford him we just can't afford him. Hopefully we at least follow it up and see what we can do as it would be nice to see him join the list. Not holding my breath though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back