Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Beautide The Tassie Terminator
5k-6k? Is that the number of free tickets?
In reality all local sport has suffered over the years because of the domination of Tv sport, shopping, gardening, pokies, facebook, car stealing, shoplifting, drugs & a multitude of other non social activities.

How many cars you stolen Madmug:D

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
5k-6k? Is that the number of free tickets?
In reality all local sport has suffered over the years because of the domination of Tv sport, shopping, gardening, pokies, facebook, car stealing, shoplifting, drugs & a multitude of other non social activities.
Bring Bridgewater and Ravenswood into the league and people can partake in said activities during the game.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
The original state league produced some great high standard footy. The Burnie v Devonport games always drew 5 to 6 thousand people and the large crowds really added to the atmosphere. Those games were highly anticipated on the coast and were always played on a Sunday to maximise the crowds. Sadly the days of big crowds at local footy are gone.
Yeah I remember those days well.
It's about the only positive of being over 40 lol.
The crowd in the picture I posted was 3,231 and the previous meeting that season dragged in 5,423! The highest attendance at Devonport Oval that season was 4,016.
Numbers that can only be dreamed of now.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The crowd in the picture I posted was 3,231 and the previous meeting that season dragged in 5,423! The highest attendance at Devonport Oval that season was 4,016.
It was only a few years since the Akermanis show drew 8500 paying customers to KGV.
I guess the public can be attracted to the right product, at least on occasion.

Hawkboy

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2009
North West Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The biggest crowd for the Burnie v Devonport games that I can remember was just over 6000 at West Park during the Peter German era in '97. The local paper used to really promote the derbies well and there were quite a lot of people who didn't normally go to the footy attending those games. Burnie's average home game attendance for that season was 2200 which was bolstered a bit of course by the coastal derbies but Peter German really got the local community involved and interested in the footy which also had a very positive effect on crowd numbers. These days many of the TSL games would be lucky to get 200 paying customers which wouldn't even cover costs of staging the games so the low gate takings are now a liability instead of an income positive asset.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The biggest crowd for the Burnie v Devonport games that I can remember was just over 6000 at West Park during the Peter German era in '97. The local paper used to really promote the derbies well and there were quite a lot of people who didn't normally go to the footy attending those games. Burnie's average home game attendance for that season was 2200 which was bolstered a bit of course by the coastal derbies but Peter German really got the local community involved and interested in the footy which also had a very positive effect on crowd numbers. These days many of the TSL games would be lucky to get 200 paying customers which wouldn't even cover costs of staging the games so the low gate takings are now a liability instead of an income positive asset.
So where to now?

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I guess a lot has to do with a generational thing. Those who went to the footy in the pre-TV era are dead or close to. The others watch the AFL on TV as it is a far better standard and more comfortable than a Tas winter.

Many clubs used to get over 1000 to most games and 2000 to a few for most of State League Mark1. Really only South Launceston, Sandy Bay and when they came in Launceston struggled to get 1000 to home games regularly. And even the Bay got 700 or 800 most of the time/ Of course, Launceston and for much of the time South were not exactly giving fans much reason to turn up.

Any two of North Launceston, Clarence, Glenorchy would often drag 1500+, and often 2000. Plus one of them against another top team (North Hobart or Burnie for example, depending on the year). Until 1995 anyway , NL crowds dropped away after they won a flag - like fans felt the job was done.

And, yes, the coastal derbies were a separate thing again. Often 5000 or so when in Burnie and 3000+ in Devonport.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Lauderdale V Clarence attracted over 3,500 this year, with the right promotion and interest created people will turn up.

Incoming madmug in 1, 2, 3 with D. Winters a thug :rolleyes:

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
I recall going to a match at KGV in either the second or third year of TSL when Hobart played Glenorchy and it was a TV game, it rained absolute stair rods all day, light snow fell and the final score was something like 4.11 to 0.6, paying crowd that day was 63! (Glenorchy President at the time told us that).
I know Hobart had several matches at the TCA that didn't pull 100 paying spectators either in their time in the TSL.
We used to make more money on our Good Friday match than the rest of the matches put together. How on earth these clubs make any money at all to stage the competition is a wonder. Sponsorship is non existent, looking back through the old footage of TFL grounds from even 20 years ago there were sponsors hoardings on every fence and building in the grounds, nowdays there's hardly any.
In the SFL Hobart doesn't pull many spectators either but fortunately the overheads are much, much lower.
One thing that surprises me is, for all their success in the last ten-twelve years, is how few supporters support New Norfolk anymore.
I miss those days of big crowds and a decent local media that ramped up the whole thing to make it even bigger.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I guess the $100K helps TSL clubs. It would hardly make up for the crud AFLTas have put some clubs through. I think some do ok with sponsorships, others get good deals from councils.
In the end they all rely heavily on volunteers to do most things.
I doubt AFLTas even consider that. I think they need to as it gets harder to find good ones. I will try to do a bit when l retire. Maybe cook savs or something ;)

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
I recall going to a match at KGV in either the second or third year of TSL when Hobart played Glenorchy and it was a TV game, it rained absolute stair rods all day, light snow fell and the final score was something like 4.11 to 0.6, paying crowd that day was 63! (Glenorchy President at the time told us that).
I know Hobart had several matches at the TCA that didn't pull 100 paying spectators either in their time in the TSL.
We used to make more money on our Good Friday match than the rest of the matches put together. How on earth these clubs make any money at all to stage the competition is a wonder. Sponsorship is non existent, looking back through the old footage of TFL grounds from even 20 years ago there were sponsors hoardings on every fence and building in the grounds, nowdays there's hardly any.
In the SFL Hobart doesn't pull many spectators either but fortunately the overheads are much, much lower.
One thing that surprises me is, for all their success in the last ten-twelve years, is how few supporters support New Norfolk anymore.
I miss those days of big crowds and a decent local media that ramped up the whole thing to make it even bigger.

The TCA is listed as a Heritage ground, unfortunately the nice boys at HCC refuse to allow any banners around the ground
try selling that idea to sponsors !!!!!!!!!

Chattswood

Senior List
Feb 29, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
How dire is the Glenorchy financial situation? Hearing more noise on this and not in a positive way. Anyone got a feel for what's going on there?

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
How dire is the Glenorchy financial situation? Hearing more noise on this and not in a positive way. Anyone got a feel for what's going on there?

Heard rumours that someone may have been caught with there hand in the cookie jar.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
My magpie mate says its all about the new building being finished way behind schedule. He said it should have been finished months ago. He wasnt very complimentary about the Glenorchy councils role in it all!! That does sound familiar with councils;)
He believes theyll be fine when full trading in the new function centre starts.
It looks a pretty impressive building I must say.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
A cloudy but fine morning. A bit of drizzle last night wont affect the surface at Boot Park. I dont think the weather today looks like it will affect the prelim final too much.
So unless we get a Bulldogs type game, I think Glenorchy by 20pts.
I see the womans prelim is at Burnie against Glenorchy tomorrow & the D-League today is between Launceston & Clarence.
It is possible we could see 5 southern teams & 1 northern team playing in the GF at Spark Park next week!!
I dont think so, but it is quite possible.
Anyway, good luck to all players.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well that was a one sided game. Not quite what l expected. Burnie said they were a side that played well on a big ground. I saw a side who who had to many guys carrying a few too many KGs. Simply not fit enough. I thought they'd at least be tough. Not even that. A waste of a bus trip.
Next week could be another good game between North Launceston & Glenorchy. Certainly better than todays one sided yawn.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Beautide The Tassie Terminator
Thought Glenorchy would win by about 5 goals, but that was a belting. Grand Final shaping as a classic

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Heard rumours that someone may have been caught with there hand in the cookie jar.
Oh not again? You'd hope not.
Glenorchy had all those years of being in Grand Finals from 1975-1988 and lost in the semis in '89 and had that spectacular fall from grace in 1990 and were down for years afterwards. The cause of that in a large part was an official of the club had been fiddling the tills so badly that they almost folded and the Council had to step in in the early 90s to stop them going out of existence altogether.
A prominent Glenorchy person of the day, no longer with us, told me it was certain extinction without the GCC bailing them out.

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,
Oh not again? You'd hope not.
Glenorchy had all those years of being in Grand Finals from 1975-1988 and lost in the semis in '89 and had that spectacular fall from grace in 1990 and were down for years afterwards. The cause of that in a large part was an official of the club had been fiddling the tills so badly that they almost folded and the Council had to step in in the early 90s to stop them going out of existence altogether.
A prominent Glenorchy person of the day, no longer with us, told me it was certain extinction without the GCC bailing them out.

If the allegations and rumours are true in the words of Shirley Bassey its just "History Repeating" and sadly it's not the first repeat.

I feel for the the honest hard working volunteers of the club if the above allegations and rumours mentioned in this thread do turn out to be true.

Back