Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:

Its seems the top 3 teams from 2015 have some rebuilding to do. Looks like a few have left Devonport as well.
Maybe the mainland raids & lower leagues has begun. Its up to the AFL if they want a viable TSL or not. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Not sure if true but from what I hear, Glenorchy may have contributed towards its exodus via its financial plight and handling of it. AFL Tas can't always save clubs from themselves.

Not sure if true but from what I hear, Glenorchy may have contributed towards its exodus via its financial plight and handling of it. AFL Tas can't always save clubs from themselves.
I wondered if the financial situation at Glenorchy had contributed to the exodus, it seemed very strange they could lose so many players after the success they had this year. I dont think they are the only club with financial issues. I just hope we are not going to see a repeat of what happened in the first state league with clubs leaving the leagùe with huge debts. AFL Tas need to give the clubs more money so players can be rewarded for the sacrifices and committment required to play at TSL level.

I wondered if the financial situation at Glenorchy had contributed to the exodus, it seemed very strange they could lose so many players after the success they had this year. I dont think they are the only club with financial issues. I just hope we are not going to see a repeat of what happened in the first state league with clubs leaving the leagùe with huge debts. AFL Tas need to give the clubs more money so players can be rewarded for the sacrifices and committment required to play at TSL level.

I spoke to my Magpie mate who told me he went to a club meeting 2 weeks ago. Said all players paid & money in the bank. New club rooms trading in the black. Has the new Simon Black academy based at KGV. Announced & resigned the club naming right sponsor Announced another new major sponsor. He said a few players going to try out in Queensland is good for the players. Anyway, he was happy with a premiership & good financial situation. I guess you take that a face value.
I still think the top 3 clubs will come back to the pack a bit. Im sure NHCFC will improve.
We'll soon see.

With all this talk of a potential Tassie A-LEague side being based out of North Hobart Oval does anyone mixed up with North Hobart FC got any info on this? Theres talk they want to make it a rectangular stadium, so what happens too North Hobart FC if they do?

Talking about this a while ago. ALeague is played in summer so it wont affect our football. The ground is owned by the HCC. They won't say much to NHCFC. Footy club would be the last to know.

The A league finishes in May so there would be a cross over of the two codes.

That wont happen. Its a Narrow ground so its ideal for soccer. They'd still want to use it for TSL games.
If the HCC werent going to spend money on it for AFL footy, they certainly wont spend $millions on it for soccer either.
The people behind the A-League proposal may well put the money up to convert it to a rectangular stadium as North Hobart oval is in a great location relatively close to the CBD and I'm sure the proponents would like to establish their own permanent home base if their bid for a team becomes reality. Money can speak very loudly and a multi million dollar revamp proposal would surely make the council think about it.

The people behind the A-League proposal may well put the money up to convert it to a rectangular stadium as North Hobart oval is in a great location relatively close to the CBD and I'm sure the proponents would like to establish their own permanent home base if their bid for a team becomes reality. Money can speak very loudly and a multi million dollar revamp proposal would surely make the council think about it.

Yes money can talk. If they want to spend it their's SFA I, or the club, could do about it.
I'd just see it as a waste of money.
I doubt many ALeague clubs make any money as it is, without that sort of expense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard some quite shocking news today that former Sydney Swan great and Hobart 1990 TFL premiership coach Mark Browning was recently taken seriously ill on a flight to Brisbane and was rushed to hospital and was placed in an induced coma for two weeks and had a toe removed. According to Tony Morwood he's got quite a long road ahead of him, hasn't suffered brain damage as feared but is unable to speak as yet.
A simple flu-like virus cut him down. Not good at all.

Afternoon gents, facebook page being made for the push to reinstate the North Hobart name ahead of the AGM and 2017

https://www.facebook.com/BringNorthHobartHome/
Yeah - it needs to be North Hobart.
Calling it "Hobart City" was a pointless idea given that the Hobart Tigers refused to be a part of it (therefore the name "Hobart" wasn't required) and it's creating all kinds of confusion amongst people thinking the two clubs merged (even the Muckery still report this garbage).
North Hobart in the TSL, Hobart Tigers in the SFL - stop the confusion.

I heard some quite shocking news today that former Sydney Swan great and Hobart 1990 TFL premiership coach Mark Browning was recently taken seriously ill on a flight to Brisbane and was rushed to hospital and was placed in an induced coma for two weeks and had a toe removed. According to Tony Morwood he's got quite a long road ahead of him, hasn't suffered brain damage as feared but is unable to speak as yet.

Thats sad news indeed. I hope he comes good again.
Despite people thinking we're all pretty safe from real bad bugs these days, the odd nasty Virus still happens. The Hospitals see things like tissue eating bugs & virus causing encephalitis & cardiac incidents. The attack the odd person for no apparent reason.
So Live each day well & be good to people.

Terrible to hear that. Wish him well

No Tassie kids got drafted and the gap between Tas and other states is quite clear.

Money is just not being pumped into this state. TSL runs off the smell of AFL 'oily rag' and whilst there will be a push for more $$$, doubt we will get the true amount required to operate a vibrant State League and Academy for youth development.

Is it time we make TSL u18 or U21 only and use whatever money that is available for the development of these kids? Just doubt the logic of clubs spending what little money they get on older players and am leaning towards this being used purely for the youth development.

Last edited:
No Tassie kids got drafted and the gap between Tas and other states is quite clear.

Money is just not being pumped into this state. TSL runs off the smell of AFL 'oily rag' and whilst there will be a push for more $$$, doubt we will get the true amount required to operate a vibrant State League and Academy for youth development.

Is it time we make TSL u18 or U21 only and use whatever money that is available for the development of these kids? Just doubt the logic of clubs spending what little money they get on older players and am leaning towards this being used purely for the youth development.

You do realise the best draft results for Tasmania were when the TSL was at its best in the mid 1990s. The lads learn a lot from a group of good senior players. However a lot of kids who were pushed through the Mariners meat mincer gave the game away after the 'experience'
Money should be spent on a good business manager for each TSL club, as well as quality coaches & support staff.
TSL should only be 8 clubs to concentrate the best players in each area & ensure a decent standard of football the kids can be selected from.
Part time Mariners takes some pressure of the kids at least.

You do realise the best draft results for Tasmania were when the TSL was at its best in the mid 1990s. The lads learn a lot from a group of good senior players. However a lot of kids who were pushed through the Mariners meat mincer gave the game away after the 'experience'
Money should be spent on a good business manager for each TSL club, as well as quality coaches & support staff.
TSL should only be 8 clubs to concentrate the best players in each area & ensure a decent standard of football the kids can be selected from.
Part time Mariners takes some pressure of the kids at least.
1990s long time ago now and the gap between Tas and other states is far wider than has ever been.
I think its at the point that unless significant investment is made, more radical options need to be at least considered.

1990s long time ago now and the gap between Tas and other states is far wider than has ever been.
I think its at the point that unless significant investment is made, more radical options need to be at least considered.

Yes, quite true. Its all about the investment of funds & quality people. However way you structure it, change is a must or things will get worse.
Just farming the place for kids, without properly investing in Tasmanian football has given us this situation. It is well past time for a change.
I just recon an 8 team TSL with access to quality business managers & AFL experience coaches is a no brainer when looking to give kids the best chance to progress & giving clubs some certainty.

Good article in today Mercury ( dont have a link )

Have to agree with Darren Winter regarding transfer fees, Losing our young players to the mainland with no compo is piss poor, The new guys AFL Tas should stand up and address this before it gets worse.
Or are these new guys just another group of YES men, you have been here long enough to see this will damage the competition in future years.

Good article in today Mercury ( dont have a link )

Have to agree with Darren Winter regarding transfer fees, Losing our young players to the mainland with no compo is piss poor, The new guys AFL Tas should stand up and address this before it gets worse.
Or are these new guys just another group of YES men, you have been here long enough to see this will damage the competition in future years.

It just confirms the disdain to which the AFL hold Tasmania. They run football, they decide the structures & operation aspects, but do SFA for the game here.
RIP Tas football.

It just confirms the disdain to which the AFL hold Tasmania. They run football, they decide the structures & operation aspects, but do SFA for the game here.
RIP Tas football.

'AFL is keeping a Database on transfers and impacts to State Leagues and will use this to assess impacts'.

This is an alarming statement. If they are relying on data, they would have at least a 3 - 5 year horizon before any assessment took place. What analyst worth their salt would assess and make reccomemdations off only 1 years data?

We indeed are in troubled times my friends. The time to act is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back