Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
ok the silly season has begun. Mitch Thorpe best of luck to him. At least he is having a go. I presume they made him full time as he could not be employed elsewhere??
Who is going to coach North Launceston. Players will not stay if they dont appoint a coach sooner or later??
Launceston looking strong with all the recent signings.
Devonport wil be better with snap coming back.
Burnie look to be stronger with Gavin (I am scared of the footy and petrified of my opponent) Quirk will fit in well up there as the new barman.

Hobart should improve.
Clarence will be up there
North Hobart and Glenorchy will be the same
Lauderdale will make the top 3 and that will probably be it. I hope the bald headed brothers have another year fitz and smith.
Regarding Launceston, what signings do you mean. Have they signed some new recruits or have they just re-signed players from their current list ?
I think Lauderdale will definitely make the 5 next year and would have to be some sort of chance to finish top 3.

With Cassidy and Willing leaving, clearly their two best big men by a long way, how are Hobart gonna be better in '12?

They wont!!!! There juniors have been stuggling, carnt attracted new recruits. Players from Kingborough which is there zone will not go and play there especially now that they are having sucess.

Agree. and a couple of Kingston kids in Ash Woodhead and Jarrod Sharp went back to Kingborough this year after having a year or two at Hobart. Woodhead has improved (played seniors all year I think) and Sharp played a bit of senior footy. Kingborough are going very well at the moment

Launceston premiership player Kurt McKabe was sentenced to 5months imprisonment today for a serious assault that put the victim in a coma.
Incident occurred in January. LFC did well to keep this out of the media for so long.

Colts & U/18's

Seems like some logic has re-entered the football landscape.

Apparently the colts age requirements has been changed in 2012.

Next year there only has to be 10 under 18 players in each team. Not sure the age mix etc for the remaining 14 players.

Also it appear AFL Tasmania realise an U/18 competion is vital for the health of the entire competiton.

Apparently the STJFL are going to run it, with the big chance of some games being put back to Saturday before Colts/Senior for premier sides.

Regardless of who runs it, when/where it's played and who wins it, we must continue to have enough teams for 16-18 year olds to play in.

As is evident in the 2011 potential draftees from Tasmania, the vast majority are going to play club footy (TSL, SFL, Old Scholars etc) and be the heart and soul of Tasmanian football.

Bring on the 2012 season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

Re: Colts & U/18's

Seems like some logic has re-entered the football landscape.

Apparently the colts age requirements has been changed in 2012.

Next year there only has to be 10 under 18 players in each team. Not sure the age mix etc for the remaining 14 players.

Also it appear AFL Tasmania realise an U/18 competion is vital for the health of the entire competiton.

Apparently the STJFL are going to run it, with the big chance of some games being put back to Saturday before Colts/Senior for premier sides.

Regardless of who runs it, when/where it's played and who wins it, we must continue to have enough teams for 16-18 year olds to play in.

As is evident in the 2011 potential draftees from Tasmania, the vast majority are going to play club footy (TSL, SFL, Old Scholars etc) and be the heart and soul of Tasmanian football.

Bring on the 2012 season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

So another bloody change. Fair dinkum AFL have made more changes to this comp than Wadey's had changes of underpants! (best not go their:D)
It was said what a mistake it was to get rid of the ressies. So now they drop some of the u18's in the colts & up the number of 'over age' players.
Why couldnt they see that in the first place, leave the ressies alone ? Its no wonder the public have dropped off this competition. The SFL had a bigger grandfinal crowd than the TSL at York park.
I dont know what you mean by heart & soul of Tassie footy. Setting up a competition just to get a few kids drafted is not heart & soul. It looks more like a bloody disaster to me.

Re: Colts & U/18's

So another bloody change. Fair dinkum AFL have made more changes to this comp than Wadey's had changes of underpants! (best not go their:D)
It was said what a mistake it was to get rid of the ressies. So now they drop some of the u18's in the colts & up the number of 'over age' players.
Why couldnt they see that in the first place, leave the ressies alone ? Its no wonder the public have dropped off this competition. The SFL had a bigger grandfinal crowd than the TSL at York park.
I dont know what you mean by heart & soul of Tassie footy. Setting up a competition just to get a few kids drafted is not heart & soul. It looks more like a bloody disaster to me.

My point on the U/18 competition is I think that it is important to have a competition that allows boys of 16-18 years old to actually play football.

The whole Colts scenario squeezed players out of the game entirely in 2011 and there were not enough spots for the number of players available.

Sure there was a SFL U/18's competition, however cutting the TSL reserves to Colts and removing the U/18 competition meant that spots were at a premium.

While I acknowledge we need to look for AFL talent in Tassie football, I acknowledge 99.9% of players will not reach this level and we need to make it easy for all to play Aussie Rules. To make it hard or exclude kids because they will not get drafted is foolish.

The kid that only plays U/18's or colts/reserves could be the next club president, secretary, canteen volunteer, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what i hear the under 18 competition will only involve four teams so every 4th week you play the same opposition. Also by doing this the teams will affect their feeder clubs as last year both lauderdale and clarence filled half of lindisfarne and east coast bombers under 18 teams as they struggled for players.

From what i hear the under 18 competition will only involve four teams so every 4th week you play the same opposition. Also by doing this the teams will affect their feeder clubs as last year both lauderdale and clarence filled half of lindisfarne and east coast bombers under 18 teams as they struggled for players.

Sandy Bay, Nth Hobart, Clarence, Lauderale, Sorell ,Glenorchy, Lindisfarne and Kingborough (in addition to SFL) have all indicated they are keen to make it happen.

Time will tell, however it is a positive sign

sorell did not have a colts team this year

They have expressed to the STJFL they would like to be involved in a new u/18 competiton if it gets up and running.

Apparently their junior club have initiated the expression of interest.

I imagine with a growing population in Sorell and a "void" between U/16's and reserves it gives "kids" a place to play for 2 years before contemplating seniors.

Obviously there are still lots of "ifs", but it is a possibility of happening.

Think you may need to check your facts as i've only heard of sandy bay, north hobart, clarence and lauderdale being involved in this as they no longer want to send players to their feeder clubs would rather just take what they can without giving much back. The Sfl are taking a strong stance of not allowing them to join the sfl colts comp which was their first choice, you would also expect that Sfl teams would have to field 18's in the Sfl before the stjfl. Sorell didn't have 18's last year and would not be able to field a team in both the sfl and stjfl this year, Lindisfarne only had 18s last year through the help of clarence and will not be able to field two teams either. Glenorchy it would near be impossible as they would have to field two under 18s teams and under 18 players for the Tsl colts, Kingborough may field two as they have the numbers and resources t do so.

Think you may need to check your facts as i've only heard of sandy bay, north hobart, clarence and lauderdale being involved in this as they no longer want to send players to their feeder clubs would rather just take what they can without giving much back. The Sfl are taking a strong stance of not allowing them to join the sfl colts comp which was their first choice, you would also expect that Sfl teams would have to field 18's in the Sfl before the stjfl. Sorell didn't have 18's last year and would not be able to field a team in both the sfl and stjfl this year, Lindisfarne only had 18s last year through the help of clarence and will not be able to field two teams either. Glenorchy it would near be impossible as they would have to field two under 18s teams and under 18 players for the Tsl colts, Kingborough may field two as they have the numbers and resources t do so.

I know my information is correct.

AFL Tasmania and STJFL have recognised the void that exists for a lot of boys who finish in the U/16's and wish to play U/18's football.

At this stage it has been expressions of interest to be involved "if" the competition is viable.

Obviously there is a reasonable chance it may not get off the ground, however with all parties being of the same mindset, it has a good chance of happening.

It actually looks like people are starting to see the bigger picture of football, instead of just their own club or even league.

If AFL Tasmania and STJFL are on board, I think the SFL would seriously have to reconsider their stance.

In my opinion a pathway already exists and all this is, is Afl Tas trying fix what they stuffed up by removing the 3 side Tsl aet up they started with.

At the moment the under age pathway is already there, those players who are good enough go to Tsl Colts, while the players who need more development can play 18's with an Sfl club. My information is that very few outside of Sandy Bay, Clarence, Lauderdale and North Hobart have shown any intrest.

Also I know it's nothing official yet and may not happen, in my opinion it wont just like the rookie colts and school competition didn't. I just don't understand why the 3 Tsl sides are reluctant to deal with their feeder clubs and use their 18s as a stepping stone or development stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back