Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Thats why I explained it all to you. ;)

One would think beating NHFC, GDFC & one other, like Clarence, is what they need to do to make the 4.

I don't think they have the strength to beat either Clarence, Lauderdale or NL enough times to make it.
WATCHED LAUNCESTON FRIDAY NIGHT 'no thorp,house,Seymour 'd leauge had donnellan ,leedham,rice' all played well.north has no depth.

Be interesting to see how North respond after Friday. The club is in absolute turmoil based on my conversation with half a dozen North Launnie life members. From all reports Thane Brady has the Northonians offside and is demanding the money in their separate bank account as North have none left. Apparently it’s the opinion of many that Thanes ego has outgrown the role and they believe his position is untenable for the club to move forward, he will either jump or be pushed they are saying.
Meanwhile overall the river Launnie are flying both on and off the field.
Hard to see anyone getting close to them this year with the depth they possess.
We will now just see a sustained period of dominance from Launceston, one that would have occurred under Mitch Thorp if South Launceston didn’t exit the competition when he was coaching.

Be interesting to see how North respond after Friday. The club is in absolute turmoil based on my conversation with half a dozen North Launnie life members. From all reports Thane Brady has the Northonians offside and is demanding the money in their separate bank account as North have none left. Apparently it’s the opinion of many that Thanes ego has outgrown the role and they believe his position is untenable for the club to move forward, he will either jump or be pushed they are saying.
Meanwhile overall the river Launnie are flying both on and off the field.
Hard to see anyone getting close to them this year with the depth they possess.
We will now just see a sustained period of dominance from Launceston, one that would have occurred under Mitch Thorp if South Launceston didn’t exit the competition when he was coaching.
Heh...you didn't follow South, did you...!

Heh...you didn't follow South, did you...!
Not me mate.
But given the players we see now dominating the comp I.e Riley Harper etc it’s hard to see how they wouldn’t have at least been right towards the top....
Be interesting task to see which current TSL players would have fallen into the South Launnie zone and ultimately under its program.... All speculation I know but would be interesting none the less.

Not me mate.
But given the players we see now dominating the comp I.e Riley Harper etc it’s hard to see how they wouldn’t have at least been right towards the top....
Be interesting task to see which current TSL players would have fallen into the South Launnie zone and ultimately under its program.... All speculation I know but would be interesting none the less.

Old mate won’t wanna know about that, he just thinks it’s pure coincidence that there’s a northern dominance over the competition as the number of clubs in the region have diminished.

Good to read Brayden Webb is back for Glenorchy. Wish him all the best. The comp is better when he, Dan Joesph and Harrison Gunther are playing for Glenorchy. Will be interesting to see who is selected for Devils. Heard today North Hobart may lose 7 from their senior team from last week to Devils selection.

Old mate won’t wanna know about that, he just thinks it’s pure coincidence that there’s a northern dominance over the competition as the number of clubs in the region have diminished.
Its bizarre. Anyways as ive said the biggest losers if the TSL falls over are the two Launcestion clubs. Notice with the Devils the lack of NW talent coming through, direct link to not having a TSL club in the area?

Good to read Brayden Webb is back for Glenorchy. Wish him all the best. The comp is better when he, Dan Joesph and Harrison Gunther are playing for Glenorchy. Will be interesting to see who is selected for Devils. Heard today North Hobart may lose 7 from their senior team from last week to Devils selection.
That is going to test North Hobart's depth this week against NL up there. Clarence also missing potentially 4 from the Devils for their big clash with the Pies.

Don't call me old mate. I was going to leave it, but nah...fine...

You virtually said in your last post on the subject that six South Launceston players (especially Dylan Riley) who featured in a flag eight seasons ago are now responsible for an imbalance in Tasmanian football that is causing the South's arguably most powerful club in Clarence to seek admission to a lower league...! You are seriously suggesting that Hobart, the capital of an exclusively AFL-mad state, can't find enough footballers to field teams capable of matching a couple of teams up north from a city half the size, after a century of being able to do that and better. You then suggest the only way to fix the problem is to dumb down northern footy, give them a handicap to stop these "superteams" from dominating what is supposed to be the state's elite competition. All this with utterly no recognition of several points I reiterated that weren't even mine, they originally brought up by the rest of you - how the TSL sides struggle to attract players ahead of country teams, etc, and how much money isn't floating around to preserve the top end status of the five southern sides. Of all people, the Lauderdale guy can't see it...this was probably why I was going to give this a miss...wow...

Bombers a few posts later spoke of the fairly awesome legacy of Mitchell Thorp, who in two seasons erased 15 seasons of utter TFL cluelessness from the team I support and turned them into this retrospective powerhouse...don't recall thinking that at the time, just a lot of unexpected joy. Good team...they all showed up with the Storm and managed another GF without Thorp, before a spoon and oblivion...wonder not, Bomber, because your question was answered through actual history. They did what South usually did and reverted quickly back to mediocrity. Thorp then went to Devonport and turned a shite side into finalists, before going to Launceston and turning the side that couldn't get past Lauderdale three years in a row, into the greatest and most dominant side in Tasmanian history (due to all that imbalance hey)...fellas, can you see a pattern here...?

Not going to call Mitchell Thorp Alistair Clarkson just yet...more likely he's a big fish player in the relatively small pond environment of the TSL who has a good rapport with young players, and high standards. All three clubs he joined were struggling with young lists and that seems to be his niche. All three clubs also showed marked improvements in their club environments too - South were going through administrative turmoil as they grappled with TSL expulsion, but galvanised for the sake of the club's flag chances...believe me guys, for my team, that was a first. As soon as he left Devonport, half the team disappeared. And here he is at the Blues...doesn't take much to convince LFC at any time to try for excellence, and here they are...

Almost noone is playing in the TSL from the NW, and yes, JJ, it's because there is no local TSL side. The North is made up of northern players, and some of those surplus northerners and nwesterners made their way south. I keep saying it guys, it's right and if you take your blinkers off it's obvious - the two northern sides are very well run and they attract the best local players to stay with them. North is there for all to see, and you might want to give it a couple of years to see if Thorp really is the messiah at Launceston and not just a former naughty boy. A couple of the southern sides don't do this, and the three that usually do - Clarence, Glenorchy and Lauderdale - have all been slugging it out for years passing a high standard baton between them trying to see who gets to enjoy a GF bashing at the hands of North Launceston...they're closer than you think.

So - conclusion. It really is a case of the south getting its act together. Launceston did, North always has. Lauderdale are a great team, and Clarence and Glenorchy are always one galvanised effort away from a big year. If North and the Tigers can't match country teams through bucks, then that says the problem is financial, not supposed played depth. Go through SFL lists and find players who will redress this supposed imbalance (apparently you need about six to cover the decade long impact of a single South Launceston premiership...wow, would have preferred a low profile dynasty and multiple flags to the destruction of Tasmanian football...), and then ask why funding for TSL sides doesn't attract the best players to the sides who should be getting the perks - that's what's supposed to happen when you're a member of a state's Tier 2 comp!!! Then build your club culture...how, f###, I dunno, do whatever the f### it takes and don't whinge and bitch like losers. The north owes you nothing and they're better than you. Deal with it.

Aaand, avoiding the obvious question because the unbeatable juggernaut has the bye - 2 from 3 because they're so fantastic...

Bombers, Bombers and Roos...

Don't call me old mate. I was going to leave it, but nah...fine...

You virtually said in your last post on the subject that six South Launceston players (especially Dylan Riley) who featured in a flag eight seasons ago are now responsible for an imbalance in Tasmanian football that is causing the South's arguably most powerful club in Clarence to seek admission to a lower league...! You are seriously suggesting that Hobart, the capital of an exclusively AFL-mad state, can't find enough footballers to field teams capable of matching a couple of teams up north from a city half the size, after a century of being able to do that and better. You then suggest the only way to fix the problem is to dumb down northern footy, give them a handicap to stop these "superteams" from dominating what is supposed to be the state's elite competition. All this with utterly no recognition of several points I reiterated that weren't even mine, they originally brought up by the rest of you - how the TSL sides struggle to attract players ahead of country teams, etc, and how much money isn't floating around to preserve the top end status of the five southern sides. Of all people, the Lauderdale guy can't see it...this was probably why I was going to give this a miss...wow...

Bombers a few posts later spoke of the fairly awesome legacy of Mitchell Thorp, who in two seasons erased 15 seasons of utter TFL cluelessness from the team I support and turned them into this retrospective powerhouse...don't recall thinking that at the time, just a lot of unexpected joy. Good team...they all showed up with the Storm and managed another GF without Thorp, before a spoon and oblivion...wonder not, Bomber, because your question was answered through actual history. They did what South usually did and reverted quickly back to mediocrity. Thorp then went to Devonport and turned a sh*te side into finalists, before going to Launceston and turning the side that couldn't get past Lauderdale three years in a row, into the greatest and most dominant side in Tasmanian history (due to all that imbalance hey)...fellas, can you see a pattern here...?

Not going to call Mitchell Thorp Alistair Clarkson just yet...more likely he's a big fish player in the relatively small pond environment of the TSL who has a good rapport with young players, and high standards. All three clubs he joined were struggling with young lists and that seems to be his niche. All three clubs also showed marked improvements in their club environments too - South were going through administrative turmoil as they grappled with TSL expulsion, but galvanised for the sake of the club's flag chances...believe me guys, for my team, that was a first. As soon as he left Devonport, half the team disappeared. And here he is at the Blues...doesn't take much to convince LFC at any time to try for excellence, and here they are...

Almost noone is playing in the TSL from the NW, and yes, JJ, it's because there is no local TSL side. The North is made up of northern players, and some of those surplus northerners and nwesterners made their way south. I keep saying it guys, it's right and if you take your blinkers off it's obvious - the two northern sides are very well run and they attract the best local players to stay with them. North is there for all to see, and you might want to give it a couple of years to see if Thorp really is the messiah at Launceston and not just a former naughty boy. A couple of the southern sides don't do this, and the three that usually do - Clarence, Glenorchy and Lauderdale - have all been slugging it out for years passing a high standard baton between them trying to see who gets to enjoy a GF bashing at the hands of North Launceston...they're closer than you think.

So - conclusion. It really is a case of the south getting its act together. Launceston did, North always has. Lauderdale are a great team, and Clarence and Glenorchy are always one galvanised effort away from a big year. If North and the Tigers can't match country teams through bucks, then that says the problem is financial, not supposed played depth. Go through SFL lists and find players who will redress this supposed imbalance (apparently you need about six to cover the decade long impact of a single South Launceston premiership...wow, would have preferred a low profile dynasty and multiple flags to the destruction of Tasmanian football...), and then ask why funding for TSL sides doesn't attract the best players to the sides who should be getting the perks - that's what's supposed to happen when you're a member of a state's Tier 2 comp!!! Then build your club culture...how, f###, I dunno, do whatever the f### it takes and don't whinge and b*tch like losers. The north owes you nothing and they're better than you. Deal with it.

You are a good spin doctor I’ll give you that, most of it is absolute tripe though, you’ve dead set got no idea.

How can you just ignore the fact that Launceston and North Launceston continually add players to their teams that they wouldn’t otherwise get if there were other teams around? How do you not understand the difference having even just 3 or 4 high quality players added to your team makes?

Down south, do you think it’s just a coincidence that Clarences’s dominance of 20 years came to an end when Lauderdale entered the same competition and started to grow? Imagine if you took the best 11 players from each of those two clubs now and made one team, they’d be unbeatable, it’s the exact thing that’s happened in the North of the state, the fact you can’t see it is mind boggling.

Last edited:
Anyone see the article in the mercury about the TSL and its standard? Ollie DiVenuto wondering why players can't get drafted from it.....

Anyone see the article in the mercury about the TSL and its standard? Ollie DiVenuto wondering why players can't get drafted from it.....
Yeah, I saw it this morning but saw the emphasis of the comments to be more on retaining the Devils players in the TSL once they have finished up and having them become 150 game TSL players.

DiVenuto suggested that this should be one of the key drivers of the Devils program and not only to get kids drafted. The vast majority of kids that don't get drafted should be encourgaed to stay in the TSL and develop their games further, then explore their options. This has proven to be a successful model of late with examples of Mansell, Lockhart, Brown, etc. However, the TSL clubs have a responsbility here to ensure they provide the right environoments/resources for this development to occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NL even with its 'turmoil' as noted above should chew up a depleted NHFC. 80pts
I think Lauderdale will be too strong for unimpressive Kingston. 40pts
I'm tipping a close game at KGV. Maybe Clarence by 6 points. They've lost some players & it was a tough game last week. The case of Mitch Rainbird with concussion issues is quite sad. He's a good player.
Some new, & some returning from long term injury Glenorchy players, should make it interesting.

Interesting breakdown of Devils selected this week
North Hobart 8
Clarence 5
Launceston 3
North Launceston 2
Lauderdale 1
NW Coast Clubs 5

2 TSL clubs with no representation.

Cygnet and Huonville both have 16.5s and under 19s.
Tigers this year a 16.5 only and only just.
Both Huon clubs have a brighter future in my opinion. Clubs that have a real place in their community. Not sure if is really a fault of the tigers. I’m not sure if the buy in has been there from the Municipality or the club hasn’t been engaging enough. Either way they will fall hard very soon unfortunately. Disappointing for the whole region.

Cygnet and Huonville both have 16.5s and under 19s.
Tigers this year a 16.5 only and only just.
Both Huon clubs have a brighter future in my opinion. Clubs that have a real place in their community. Not sure if is really a fault of the tigers. I’m not sure if the buy in has been there from the Municipality or the club hasn’t been engaging enough. Either way they will fall hard very soon unfortunately. Disappointing for the whole region.

Its been a pretty large failure down there to be honest, they really should be a powerhouse by now.

You are a good spin doctor I’ll give you that, most of it is absolute tripe though, you’ve dead set got no idea.

How can you just ignore the fact that Launceston and North Launceston continually add players to their teams that they wouldn’t otherwise get if there were other teams around? How do you not understand the difference having even just 3 or 4 high quality players added to your team makes?

Down south, do you think it’s just a coincidence that Clarences’s dominance of 20 years came to an end when Lauderdale entered the same competition and started to grow? Imagine if you took the best 11 players from each of those two clubs now and made one team, they’d be unbeatable, it’s the exact thing that’s happened in the North of the state, the fact you can’t see it is mind boggling.
Well, agree to disagree then. See what happens in 2021...never mind I've been badmouthing southerners on this issue when they first started grizzling a few years back, and it finally took until last season for two northern teams to finish 1-2. Players being added to clubs is called recruitment...they all do it, except ironically North who haven't recruited anyone this year...read the blurb on the TSL FB page. Pretty small minded thinking, and hypocritical...apparently it's too hard for Clarence and Lauderdale residents to drive a bit further up the road and get a guaranteed senior game at North Hobart and vice versa, but Launceston and North now have this alleged goldmine stretching all the way from Scottsdale to Circular Head...! A decade ago, you were all blaming Scott Wade for Clarence's supremacy, but now apparently Lauderdale has restored order to the universe, and it was their absence to blame all along...if I'm good at spin, then I'm just channeling my gardening knowhow (which is fairly developed, I'll brag, although it's not that hard in the tropics) and using the best manure...f###ing heaps of it just lying around when I showed up here...

I know as much about footy as you, whatever, and the last nine paraphrased words were originally used by me on you. I've already explained the second sentence twice in virtual essays! Players want to go there. It's up to five southern clubs to get to that position, and the simple fact that they are the AFL ordained tier two sides means they should be able to do that at will...so what they f### are they doing...? Clarence and Lauderdale also played together in the same leagues, SFL and TSL before Lauderdale finally finished above them on the ladder 13 seasons later. Interesting that the next post after your last grumble mentions the Mercury interview with Divenuto bemoaning the s**t TSL standard (can't be referring to the northerners, apparently they're unbeatable), and we've also get Devils lineup news, as they pillage TSL senior lists, in amongst that as well...at which point does the penny drop for the average Hobart footy fan or official, inspiring/forcing them to spit out the unfinished butt, roll up the sleeves and growl "f### this"...?

You guys can extrapolate and "imagine" all you like, but if you bother you can find actual examples where these supposed great recruitment rorts don't deliver...sky hasn't fallen, fellas...I promise I'll celebrate Launceston losses as hard as you this year just for the sake of Tasmanian footy, and more importantly, fragile southern egos. Club culture, good coaching, funding and money management, clearly defined pathway and status for southern clubs, and adequately competent recruiting...or we go your way and just dumb things down by adding more teams somewhere else and stretching said finances and player numbers...either way, the south wins...!

Well, agree to disagree then. See what happens in 2021...never mind I've been badmouthing southerners on this issue when they first started grizzling a few years back, and it finally took until last season for two northern teams to finish 1-2. Players being added to clubs is called recruitment...they all do it, except ironically North who haven't recruited anyone this year...read the blurb on the TSL FB page. Pretty small minded thinking, and hypocritical...apparently it's too hard for Clarence and Lauderdale residents to drive a bit further up the road and get a guaranteed senior game at North Hobart and vice versa, but Launceston and North now have this alleged goldmine stretching all the way from Scottsdale to Circular Head...! A decade ago, you were all blaming Scott Wade for Clarence's supremacy, but now apparently Lauderdale has restored order to the universe, and it was their absence to blame all along...if I'm good at spin, then I'm just channeling my gardening knowhow (which is fairly developed, I'll brag, although it's not that hard in the tropics) and using the best manure...f###ing heaps of it just lying around when I showed up here...

I know as much about footy as you, whatever, and the last nine paraphrased words were originally used by me on you. I've already explained the second sentence twice in virtual essays! Players want to go there. It's up to five southern clubs to get to that position, and the simple fact that they are the AFL ordained tier two sides means they should be able to do that at will...so what they f### are they doing...? Clarence and Lauderdale also played together in the same leagues, SFL and TSL before Lauderdale finally finished above them on the ladder 13 seasons later. Interesting that the next post after your last grumble mentions the Mercury interview with Divenuto bemoaning the sh*t TSL standard (can't be referring to the northerners, apparently they're unbeatable), and we've also get Devils lineup news, as they pillage TSL senior lists, in amongst that as well...at which point does the penny drop for the average Hobart footy fan or official, inspiring/forcing them to spit out the unfinished butt, roll up the sleeves and growl "f### this"...?

You guys can extrapolate and "imagine" all you like, but if you bother you can find actual examples where these supposed great recruitment rorts don't deliver...sky hasn't fallen, fellas...I promise I'll celebrate Launceston losses as hard as you this year just for the sake of Tasmanian footy, and more importantly, fragile southern egos. Club culture, good coaching, funding and money management, clearly defined pathway and status for southern clubs, and adequately competent recruiting...or we go your way and just dumb things down by adding more teams somewhere else and stretching said finances and player numbers...either way, the south wins...!

Bowling Shane

Read a post on Duff TV that the future of the state league seems to be pretty fragile.
Duff TV said:
"It's become common talk that sadly the Tasmanian State footy League will most likely to be wound up within 2 seasons.

But what will happen to these clubs, where will they play and what will the flow on effects be?

Another fact is that less male players are coming through so wouldn't now be the time to think about planning for the next decade where single team male clubs will become the norm for some competitions?

Footy comps in Southern Tasmania would do well to unite, swallow a little pride and do what's best for the game, rather than take the current road which is an obvious train wreck in the waiting.

Here's a possible scenario for footy in southern Tasmania.

Div 1
Clarence
Glenorchy
Nth Hobart
Kingborough
Lauderdale
Hobart

Div 2
Made up of the stronger SFL/OSFA clubs

Div 3
Made up of the not so strong SFL/OSFA clubs

Div 4
Single team clubs predominantly OFA clubs plus any OSFA/SFL clubs that can't field two men's sides

Read a post on Duff TV that the future of the state league seems to be pretty fragile.

The OSFA want nothing to do with AFLTas, & who could possibly blame them.

Not sure Hobart would want to go through another restructure either.

If the AFL walk away, then why not just a 5 team TFL?

The Northern sides would suffer most. The gap between them & the NTFA is enormous.

The NWFU(NTFL) just want to live in there little world, as is their right to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back