Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
No mate sorry I don't. There used to be an online blog from that era where someone did match reports from that era on the SWL but it appears to have been lost in time. Think I drank as many cans as goals scored if that's any help haha.
Do you pace yourself evenly, or do you end up holding your own tray...?

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah they are done.

Will be back to the SFL for the lot of them anyways.
You'd have to think that's a pretty distinct possibility.
Not sure how the TSL operates but I well remember back in the days of the previous statewide league, if a club forfeited games in any of the three grades at the time (Colts, Reserves, Seniors) then that club got a pretty severe bollocking and were threatened with being kicked out of the competition.
Hobart were definitely threatened one year with immediate expulsion when they were down on player numbers should they not field all three sides yet Sandy Bay and Devonport didn't at various times for whatever reason and weren't punished.
Glenorchy are fast heading down the same path as North Hobart and Hobart have gone in recent decades sadly, with a longterm lack of success looking increasingly likely.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
You'd have to think that's a pretty distinct possibility.
Not sure how the TSL operates but I well remember back in the days of the previous statewide league, if a club forfeited games in any of the three grades at the time (Colts, Reserves, Seniors) then that club got a pretty severe bollocking and were threatened with being kicked out of the competition.
Hobart were definitely threatened one year with immediate expulsion when they were down on player numbers should they not field all three sides yet Sandy Bay and Devonport didn't at various times for whatever reason and weren't punished.
Glenorchy are fast heading down the same path as North Hobart and Hobart have gone in recent decades sadly, with a longterm lack of success looking increasingly likely.
Glenorchy and North Hobart just don’t have a community to call upon like a Cygnet, Huonville, Lauderdale. It’s why I can’t see them being stronger clubs into the future even in the SFL.
They will go the way of Hobart I agree.

Be warned though the bite to SFL clubs is about to happen as with no TSL they won’t get players flowing back like they have been getting over the past few years.
Todays results were horrible especially up North. Glenorchy field one side that lacks any stars apart from Kamaric and North Hobart didn’t look interested

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Right. What's supposed to happen is a Tier 2 side draws players from all over who want to play at the highest level. North Adelaide and Subiaco do not listen to uppity suburban clubs who can match their monetary offers or profile, because they have that god given, or more accurately, AFL given privilege, which ensures that's never a thing. Clarence, NH and Glenorchy are based at Hobart's three most fabled stadiums and are the three big names in Southern footy, so why tf are they negotiating at an equal level (and often losing) to frigging old boys private school teams and country sides based at ovals that don't have seats?

That right there is the problem, and that's a structural problem with AFL Tas. If you're tier 2, you are the AFL drafting pathway, so why are the big clubs not using that as a fund raising argument when that's the reason AFL Tasmania exists in the first place? The big teams should be the big magnet where all kids want to go, and "community call" shouldn't have anything to do with it. You put big bucks into the big sides and create this scenario...

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Right. What's supposed to happen is a Tier 2 side draws players from all over who want to play at the highest level. North Adelaide and Subiaco do not listen to uppity suburban clubs who can match their monetary offers or profile, because they have that god given, or more accurately, AFL given privilege, which ensures that's never a thing. Clarence, NH and Glenorchy are based at Hobart's three most fabled stadiums and are the three big names in Southern footy, so why tf are they negotiating at an equal level (and often losing) to frigging old boys private school teams and country sides based at ovals that don't have seats?

That right there is the problem, and that's a structural problem with AFL Tas. If you're tier 2, you are the AFL drafting pathway, so why are the big clubs not using that as a fund raising argument when that's the reason AFL Tasmania exists in the first place? The big teams should be the big magnet where all kids want to go, and "community call" shouldn't have anything to do with it. You put big bucks into the big sides and create this scenario...

Under investment by the AFL is the cause of the problem. They don't care about Tasmania.

The prime reason for the AFL was to save busted arse VFL suburban clubs. They have TV rights, a draft system & a salary cap. Thus North Melbourne can 'compete' with West Coast. Also GC can get half their costs paid by the AFL.
They've sucked the life out of Tas footy & still CGAF. If we were an old suburban VFL club, we'd be fine.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong

Yer but heaps of guys playing old scholars I know didn’t leave for money mate. Most of them play for nothing. So there’s no negotiating. A lot just don’t want to play in the TSL as it means they have to jog a few laps and at times take an ego hit and play ressies.

hands like feet

Senior List
Mar 29, 2010
in da house
AFL Club
Collingwood

So where do these "old boys private school teams and country sides" get the money to out negotiate these players from the big clubs? and who are all these super stars that have left these clubs that would see them being more competitive?

I'm not 100% sure that the blame can be put on the lower level comps for dragging guys away from the statewide comp for the position that it is in.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
So where do these "old boys private school teams and country sides" get the money to out negotiate these players from the big clubs? and who are all these super stars that have left these clubs that would see them being more competitive?

I'm not 100% sure that the blame can be put on the lower level comps for dragging guys away from the statewide comp for the position that it is in.

Neither do I. Blaming OS SFL or anyone else is pointless & only hiding the problem.

So as I've said many a time, the TSL is an AFL competition. Its controlled by AFLTas it is being neglected by its owners.

To operate in the way its supposed to, it needs support. Like ALL other AFL competitions do. WAFL, SANFL, VFL.

To not have a decent TSL will see more aspiring kids leave Tassie.

Going all regional again will seriously limit player development.

Old Scholars, SFL etc have no meaningful role in player development, & will have no place to recruit players who could add to the standard of their game.

So the system, as it sits, is underfunded at one end, & drained at the other end.

The TSL as it is, is not sustainable. The lower leagues will suffer if it is ended by the AFL. ie regional & country Football in Tasmania will suffer.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Yerp.
North Hobart beat Lindisfarne by over 100 points in pre season game. I was there. North Hobart were missing more players then Lindisfarne.
No TSL means the Southern Clubs will get stronger I have no doubt. Can’t wait to hear the squeals from SFL clubs if told it’s going to go to 2 divisions. They’ll be petrified of playing Div 1 for the beat downs they will get.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yerp.
North Hobart beat Lindisfarne by over 100 points in pre season game. I was there. North Hobart were missing more players then Lindisfarne.
No TSL means the Southern Clubs will get stronger I have no doubt. Can’t wait to hear the squeals from SFL clubs if told it’s going to go to 2 divisions. They’ll be petrified of playing Div 1 for the beat downs they will get.

If one remembers the last time AFLTas tore their SWL apart to put a team in the VFL (which they also forked up in short order) the clubs that went back were treated poorly. First year was one mass division, then 2 the next year.

I wouldn't want to see that mess again, nor the small minded vindictive behaviour from the SFL.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
If one remembers the last time AFLTas tore their SWL apart to put a team in the VFL (which they also forked up in short order) the clubs that went back were treated poorly. First year was one mass division, then 2 the next year.

I wouldn't want to see that mess again, nor the small minded vindictive behaviour from the SFL.
Yerp.
It’s why it’s needs to be part of “this is how you’ll get an AFL team” push.
Ie: this is the structure if you don’t want it you may stop an AFL team coming in.
That and pull any funding or support you have from teams that don’t comply to the greater good. Points system, salary cap etc. if you don’t want it fine. But we will book your grounds, ban umpires from umpiring your games etc. Time to get the bulldozer out.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yerp.
It’s why it’s needs to be part of “this is how you’ll get an AFL team” push.
Ie: this is the structure if you don’t want it you may stop an AFL team coming in.
That and pull any funding or support you have from teams that don’t comply to the greater good. Points system, salary cap etc. if you don’t want it fine. But we will book your grounds, ban umpires from umpiring your games etc. Time to get the bulldozer out.

Not quite sure about you objective here.

The state of local football has nothing to do with getting an AFL team.

Its more that if we do get a team, local football will need to be set up to maximise the input of kids & a decent pathway forward to possibly get an opportunity to play AFL football. Or at least to develop to be as good as they can be at VFL, TSL or regional level football.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Not quite sure about you objective here.

The state of local football has nothing to do with getting an AFL team.

Its more that if we do get a team, local football will need to be set up to maximise the input of kids & a decent pathway forward to possibly get an opportunity to play AFL football. Or at least to develop to be as good as they can be at VFL, TSL or regional level football.
Yer that’s what I meant you can just say it better.
So if pathway forward is 2 divisions of 7 in South then a club that doesn’t buy into that should be called out.

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline
Yer that’s what I meant you can just say it better.
So if pathway forward is 2 divisions of 7 in South then a club that doesn’t buy into that should be called out.
Can't expect 2 clubs from the current SFL to be forced up and become perpetual whipping boys.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Can't expect 2 clubs from the current SFL to be forced up and become perpetual whipping boys.
Tigers, Lauderdale all went through it and became good teams? Cygnet and Farne would beat Glenorchy or atleast get close, players like Clifford may go back their home club Cygnet? So you would expect Glenorchy to be a whipping boy? Or Claremont to have to play against Farne? Cygnet and Farne have underage teams, Glenorchy doesn’t.
Again shouldn’t be a choice. Should be promotion/relegation. If clubs don’t want to buy in then fine. Withdraw any support from the governing body.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams

No, I'm saying that funding should be beating the hell out of their offers. It should not be a contest. If the AFL is controlling Tasmanian footy, then it should funding it in accordance with its own directives. That means if they consider the TSL as Tier 2, then it should be running the show, not watching the best kids choosing to sleep in on Saturday instead of getting on the bus for statewide. Wasn't blaming the lower leagues, if they can pay for it then half their luck and well done in these tough financial times, but it's a pretty sad situation if a team funded by old boys money and chook raffles can outbid a TSL side...

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, I'm saying that funding should be beating the hell out of their offers. It should not be a contest. If the AFL is controlling Tasmanian footy, then it should funding it in accordance with its own directives. That means if they consider the TSL as Tier 2, then it should be running the show, not watching the best kids choosing to sleep in on Saturday instead of getting on the bus for statewide. Wasn't blaming the lower leagues, if they can pay for it then half their luck and well done in these tough financial times, but it's a pretty sad situation if a team funded by old boys money and chook raffles can outbid a TSL side...

The SFL/OS only have to lure a few players away from TSL clubs. ie TSL pay everyone to train & play, whilst SFL/OS only need to target a few players with coin, & beer ;)

Back