Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
According to the news last night the club has 41 contracted players across their senior and development league squads but is in danger of not being able to field a development league side, which is against the TSL requirements.
Aaron Cornelius stated that the club would have strong sides from Auskick through to Under 18s and had employed Jack Hale as their fitness coach but that numbers had begun to drop at training in recent times, prompting a call to arms in order to get player numbers up in order to be able to field two complete sides as required.
I've heard of a few decent SFL players being offered a decent match payment to play a couple of games for Glenorchy!

Clubs have been told it’s a VFL team in 2024. Back to regional leagues for the TSL clubs. Going to be a big year of news one feels.
Different from what came direct from AFL Tas.

TSL in 2024, if no AFL License decision by end of Feb.

It’s not going ahead.

I’d bring up my comments about Glenorchy from pre season last year but I won’t say I told you so.

Disgusting day for TAS football. AFL can go to hell.
Report on tonight's news from Brent Costelloe stated that AFL Tasmania intends on continuing with the TSL in 2023/24 if the AFL makes no official announcements by the end of March on a Tasmanian team's entry into the AFL competition.

Mind you, they'll probably change their mind sixteen times and have thirty seven meetings by then and still not come up with a decent plan!

So whens this East Devonport team coming into it????
Clarence rumored to be pulling the plug and going back to regional footy next year with no coastal team coming in.
Sad about Glenorchy, but seeing the trash that hangs about in the streets and shopping centres out there these days, its no surprise they can't get any young blokes to play, they are all these "eshays" bashing old people and kids and stinking up the joint

“TSL continuing as is in 2023 and 2024 if AFL haven’t handed down a decision by March”?

More like WHEN the AFL haven’t handed down a decision by March!

It’s not going ahead.

I’d bring up my comments about Glenorchy from pre season last year but I won’t say I told you so.

Disgusting day for TAS football. AFL can go to hell.

Quite right.

Really its the Northern suburbs that have the canary in the footy coal mine for some time. Glenorchy now, but also the other club in the area, Claremont. They've both had problems with getting players. Further up, even Brighton had their problems.

I think Glenorchy's been in the worst situation for some time. Its an older area. Most growth is from recent overseas immigration. I don't see those kids playing footy. Glenorchy Zebras soccer is awash with kids kicking soccer balls about. NHFC is also an older area too but at least they have most of the private schools in their 'zone' to pick up players.

All clubs will become victim to changing demographics if we don't address the issue now. Unless an effort is made to promote the game & increase footy in schools, the problem won't resolve.

Having an AFL club will certainly help by having footy stars living in the state & promoting the game in schools & at clubs.

AFLTas have been absolutely useless. apart from talk, talk, talk, they did nothing to resolve the problems Devonport & Burnie were having with player availability through the NWC local teams. They talk talk talk & do very little to address this or any other Tasmanian footy issues. Just remember they pushed for a TSLW competition, then just did nothing to support it until it fell over. Even soccer & Netball can run state leagues!! Not the paid mouths at AFLTas. Hopeless, incompetent.

We know they favour the Private schools for player development & draft recruiting. Kids from LSE areas can GF as far as the AFL/AFLTas system goes.

The just announced 'Roll over' of the TSL into 2024 does nothing for certainty & will see kids continue to go offshore for opportunities. Try recruiting players or coaches in such uncertainty!!

Quite right.

Really its the Northern suburbs that have the canary in the footy coal mine for some time. Glenorchy now, but also the other club in the area, Claremont. They've both had problems with getting players. Further up, even Brighton had their problems.

I think Glenorchy's been in the worst situation for some time. Its an older area. Most growth is from recent overseas immigration. I don't see those kids playing footy. Glenorchy Zebras soccer is awash with kids kicking soccer balls about. NHFC is also an older area too but at least they have most of the private schools in their 'zone' to pick up players.

All clubs will become victim to changing demographics if we don't address the issue now. Unless an effort is made to promote the game & increase footy in schools, the problem won't resolve.

Having an AFL club will certainly help by having footy stars living in the state & promoting the game in schools & at clubs.

AFLTas have been absolutely useless. apart from talk, talk, talk, they did nothing to resolve the problems Devonport & Burnie were having with player availability through the NWC local teams. They talk talk talk & do very little to address this or any other Tasmanian footy issues. Just remember they pushed for a TSLW competition, then just did nothing to support it until it fell over. Even soccer & Netball can run state leagues!! Not the paid mouths at AFLTas. Hopeless, incompetent.

We know they favour the Private schools for player development & draft recruiting. Kids from LSE areas can GF as far as the AFL/AFLTas system goes.

The just announced 'Roll over' of the TSL into 2024 does nothing for certainty & will see kids continue to go offshore for opportunities. Try recruiting players or coaches in such uncertainty!!
Yerp hence why I’m told clubs won’t accept another year. Not just one club is saying this.

I’ve heard some shocking talk to that North Launceston will be kicked off UTAS due to not being able to afford the ground fees.
Where are we at as a society? A team can be kicked off their home ground while millions are pumped into it. Apparently the funding North Launceston gets goes all to ground fees. What a joke these grounds should be minimal expense, we want our young people involved in team sport.

As another poster has said- Northern Suburbs have a youth crime problem. Do people think that this may have something to do with young men not playing sport and learning team and community values? Who else did a young 16 year old boy listen to other than his footy coach? I know I certainly didn’t listen to anyone else.

There are too many sides, I seen Claremont suggesting they want an under 19s. Hahaha you have to be kidding.

Quite right.

Taking footy out the schools has probably been the biggest cause of all the mess.
Glenorchy going through the ringer now with low numbers and no juniors, a couple of years ago it was Claremont going through the same problems with both at historic lows.
Brighton had issues for years and years and weren't able to even put a senior team out a couple of years back, they seem to be on a better path now but still won't challenge the likes of the two Huon sides and Lindisfarne for quite awhile yet.
New Norfolk only won 1 game last year and have a similar problem with lack of juniors, I reckon they'll be the next Glenorchy if things don't improve up there fast.
Clarence haven't looked like winning a flag since the early days of the new state league.
Kingston had a better year last year but will never beat the northern sides.
Lauderdale had a real crack at it but were found wanting against better skilled northern sides.
North haven't haven't looked like winning a flag in 15 years and seem to have a revolving door there. Won't be winning a flag anytime soon.
Hobart hasn't been competitive for over 20 years and seem to be just drifting along being mostly mediocre.
None of those ex statewide sides have any supporter bases anymore which is a big worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been hearing that North Hobart is losing a few more than they've let on. Callum Kilpatrick is confirmed to move be moving to Melbourne. George Mcleod is said to be moving to SANFL. Sam Caswell, and Lachie Dale are apparently moving interstate as well. 4 of their best few players gone if all true. The TSL continues to get weaker...

Have been hearing that North Hobart is losing a few more than they've let on. Callum Kilpatrick is confirmed to move be moving to Melbourne. George Mcleod is said to be moving to SANFL. Sam Caswell, and Lachie Dale are apparently moving interstate as well. 4 of their best few players gone if all true. The TSL continues to get weaker...
Wow.

If a VFL team came on I honestly think North Hobart would benefit the most. Seem to lose so many interstate.

Taking footy out the schools has probably been the biggest cause of all the mess.
Glenorchy going through the ringer now with low numbers and no juniors, a couple of years ago it was Claremont going through the same problems with both at historic lows.
Brighton had issues for years and years and weren't able to even put a senior team out a couple of years back, they seem to be on a better path now but still won't challenge the likes of the two Huon sides and Lindisfarne for quite awhile yet.
New Norfolk only won 1 game last year and have a similar problem with lack of juniors, I reckon they'll be the next Glenorchy if things don't improve up there fast.
Clarence haven't looked like winning a flag since the early days of the new state league.
Kingston had a better year last year but will never beat the northern sides.
Lauderdale had a real crack at it but were found wanting against better skilled northern sides.
North haven't haven't looked like winning a flag in 15 years and seem to have a revolving door there. Won't be winning a flag anytime soon.
Hobart hasn't been competitive for over 20 years and seem to be just drifting along being mostly mediocre.
None of those ex statewide sides have any supporter bases anymore which is a big worry.

It seems North Launceston are fearful about their future (read, own 'position') if the TSL ends, They fear they won't fit back into the NTFA (Arrogant!!)

Interesting from a Glenorchy person who said he'd been asking who is standing for the board. He said the names have finally been announced.

He says its 2 groups pushing for control. The Tim Woodham group who are past players & some current board members, The Scott Donaghy group made up of some current board members & some others mixed up with PCYC & Council interests.

If even 1/2 true its very interesting, if not disturbing. Councils getting involved to run the club facility, not for the club, but other organisations!!!! i mean they can't even run local Government FFS!!!

HCC have done little for football, Clarence CC are up Cricket Tas's rear end thus do SFA for football, Launceston CC clearly the same.

Not a good sign for the game.

It seems North Launceston are fearful about their future (read, own 'position') if the TSL ends, They fear they won't fit back into the NTFA (Arrogant!!)

Interesting from a Glenorchy person who said he'd been asking who is standing for the board. He said the names have finally been announced.

He says its 2 groups pushing for control. The Tim Woodham group who are past players & some current board members, The Scott Donaghy group made up of some current board members & some others mixed up with PCYC & Council interests.

If even 1/2 true its very interesting, if not disturbing. Councils getting involved to run the club facility, not for the club, but other organisations!!!! i mean they can't even run local Government FFS!!!

HCC have done little for football, Clarence CC are up Cricket Tas's rear end thus do SFA for football, Launceston CC clearly the same.

Not a good sign for the game.
Bushead Woodham's standing for GDFC president.
His ticket includes the likes of Warren Ross, Stan Walker, Brian Hughes, Danny Ling, Jordan West, David Arnold, Noel Mundy, Robert Postma and Michelle Dilger.
Might go well, might not but at least they're Magpies people and will have a go at running it properly.
I'm hearing they've got money troubles as well which will make it harder.
Never get councils involved in footy clubs, or any sporting clubs, they're lazy and will only do the bare minimum with no real interest in the organisation. Seen that happen elsewhere.
GCC can't even run their own affairs properly let alone anything else!!

BTW MM, I read somewhere that NL may not be able to remain playing at Utas because the council wants to charge them too much on ground rent.
Shows what councils think of local footy these days.

I'd say that getting an AFL team bears no relationship to the situation of local football. ie the Sydney FL & QAFL were never considered when the Swans & Bears were started. Therefore, the situation of the TSL or Regional football matters not to the powers that be when considering forming an AFL team. Its not a bottom up development, its a top down development. ie put the AFL team in & everything gets restructured underneath it.

The last demise of the TSL to make way for the Devils VFL team showed the value of the TSL. even just to underpin the Devils. I'm not confident the current AFLTas even know that lesson. They don't seem to be able to remember or learn anything. Is that a function of arrogance & ignorance?

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us with some actual interest in Tasmanian football. That'd be amazing in itself.

I'd say that if we get the AFL team & VFL team, we'll still need some sort of TSL to help players/umpires develop here. But who knows.
What NSW/Q shows over the last 35 years is that if the AFL wants the team to succeed, what goes underneath can be as volatile as hell, but it will be paid for. Couldn't even tell you what my default team, Sherwood, are doing this year, where they're playing or what they're even called...! They might even be travelling every second week to play in the VFL, who knows...!

Many of our fears will be moot if we get a side. AFL Tas won't get a say, it will be head office, and their budgets won't include decisions like 200 or 300 frozen pies for this week's game!

I'm on a big 1930's research bender at the moment, my god it's a good read...! What's really clear is the interest and involvement, and it happened with 4 team comps. We might have to seriously consider a structure echoing this model...tiny even numbered comps to avoid too many byes, maybe 12 or 16 (NW will decide that) teams across the state with an intrastate as highlights. NH, Clarence, Tigers and someone else, you'd assume Glenorchy despite recent developments, as the first div with junior teams, and everyone else as single stand alone in a second division, a third if necessary. Lauderdale has done nothing to warrant a demotion, they're fantastic, but then so was New Norfolk back in the day...realism says play hardball, but footy lovers would love to see both in an ideal world. Promote and relegate the lower div, but protect the top. North, Launceston and South...you might need to create a fourth city team, because you'd wonder if Longford could do it even if they desperately wanted the band to get back together, but relaxing junior team requirements might make it easier to get this city team in. Even with a state footy resurgence, you couldn't imagine country sides like them and Scottsdale building strength to the point of winning state premierships again. NW, they'd probably be all about the band and keep 7-8 teams on field, and would be the most resistant to rationalising...you just can't amalgamate distant country sides as easily, and they don't want it. Every few weeks, intrastate with two levels, elite and development, and make it culminate in a final or at least a trophy, drawn from the top divisions. While all this is going on, VFL Devils and hopefully an AFL side, on which everything depends, paying the bills, as the SA and WA teams do. Even a modest cash generator backed by subsidies, as the AFL Devils would be, would still dump more cash into state footy than what's there now, and even a slight funding difference would be the clincher in some cases. Top tier teams in Tassie supported by this, and while we know the little guys never see any of it, hopefully it promotes the interest that gets kids to training...usually, lower level teams die through interest, not money...

And, while we're here, choosing not to mow the lawn and talk world matters instead...question:

Doing some Trove work from 1910 - the "Upper Cricket Ground" - is that the present TCA? And if so, what is the Lower Cricket Ground, and what is The Domain...?

And, while we're here, choosing not to mow the lawn and talk world matters instead...question:

Doing some Trove work from 1910 - the "Upper Cricket Ground" - is that the present TCA? And if so, what is the Lower Cricket Ground, and what is The Domain...?
Upper Cricket Ground is indeed the TCA Ground.
Not sure what ground they're referencing when referring to the Lower Cricket Ground.
It could possibly be the ground that was once known as the STFA Ground, part of the old Risdon Racecourse, located in Bell Street, New Town just beside the Brooker Highway, most of which is now covered by the Tasmanian Hockey Centre, it also had a large factory (Rosella and later WPL) on the site from 1934 up until it was demolished in the late 1990s after being abandoned for years.
FB_IMG_1675014425562.jpg
Photo: STFA Ground during a match between City and Carlton in 1888.

The Domain is the parcel of land on the hill just to the north east of the Hobart CBD where the TCA Ground, Domain Tennis Centre, Domain Athletics Centre etc are located.
The suburb that sits on the side of it is called Glebe.

Last edited:
Thank you, sah. In the late 1800's the Mercury makes mention of the upper and lower grounds, with interchangeable terms like upper and lower domain, upper and lower cricket ground, association ground. Never been there...

There was even an instance of two games being played on the same ground at the same time...they did make the comment that it was a bit hard to follow...!

Thank you, sah. In the late 1800's the Mercury makes mention of the upper and lower grounds, with interchangeable terms like upper and lower domain, upper and lower cricket ground, association ground. Never been there...

There was even an instance of two games being played on the same ground at the same time...they did make the comment that it was a bit hard to follow...!
Wasn't it today that Glenorchy were going to signal their viability for 2023. Instead we get news of a new coach. Also does AFL Tas plan to release a roster? Perhaps people may need to plan for Easter and to consider if they may attend a match.

Wasn't it today that Glenorchy were going to signal their viability for 2023. Instead we get news of a new coach. Also does AFL Tas plan to release a roster? Perhaps people may need to plan for Easter and to consider if they may attend a match.
Yerp players at other clubs cannot plan weekends away or anything due to this uncertainty.

Hearing New Norfolk are looking real bleak also.

Yerp players at other clubs cannot plan weekends away or anything due to this uncertainty.

Hearing New Norfolk are looking real bleak also.

As noted above, the once strong Northern Hobart areas have all shown problems. I include NHFC in that list as they've struggled, even with private schools in the area.

The organisation tasked with assisting the growth of the game have been shown to be bloody useless. Looking to be only interested in getting private school kids drafted & going to AFL games.

They send memos to under staffed & under funded clubs telling them all manner of crap to do.

AFL useless TAS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back