General Bombers Talk General VFL Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not part of team chat but what direction does the VFL go in in a few years time ?
AFL reserves has been bubbling along in the back ground for a couple of seasons. Not happening next year but I am hearing a really big chance for 2020.
Half the issue is the TAC Cup. The SANFL and WAFL will survive because they have players through 18's, reserves and seniors. Merging TAC Cup teams with VFL sides is the only way it'll survive.

Box Hille-Eastern
Sandy-Sandy
Werribee-Western Jets
Williamstown standalone (they can survive)
Port standalone
Coburg-Calder
Preston-Northern
Frankston-Dandy
Casey-Gippsland
Oakleigh standalone (although in that particular catchment they can go to either of Sandy or Box Hille/Eastern if they decide to drop one or two teams)
Geelong Falcons standalone
GWV Rebels standalone
Bendigo standalone
Murray standalone

GWV will obviously have to get players from the Ballarat League, Bendigo the same with Bendigo League, Murray from the OM league and Geelong from the GFL.

Will be an interesting round 1 of the season. Some very strong sides released.

Preston vs Collingwood will be interesting. Preston are traditionally strong starters and Collingwood the reverse, and I'm liking the size match ups for Preston's forward line, Kerr, McKay, De Koning and Silvagni against Mihocek, Madgen, Le Grice, Hore. However Collingwood's forward line is brilliant, I'll tip them in a close one.

Frankston have a good side in, but we should beat them fairly comfortable still. I really like their midfield group though, will surprise a couple of sides IMO.

Sandy have a lot of AFL players listed, and they need them. Their VFL squad lacks a lot of depth, but the Footscray have a really really strong side in, pending AFL changes. Tipping Footscray by a couple of goals.

Richmond have 18 AFL listed players. Have quite a few good VFL players as well, but the Port side looks really really strong. Even losing Pinwill, Cain and co, their midfield still boasts Isaac Conway, Eli Templeton, Matt Arnot, Tom O'Sullivan and Mitch Wooffindin. Amazing depth at that club.

Coburg's team looks really weak unfortunately for me, need Mellington, Hunt, Kerbatieh and Wallis to perform to beat a strong Casey side. Expect that the Demons to be top at the end of the round.

Williamstown and Box Hille have a bit of a rivalry in recent years, and I think Williamstown have a really strong side. Their defence looks really strong; whilst Box Hille's attack looks the weakest I've seen it in the past 5 years. Can't see them kicking a winning score.

Ladder after round 1 (prediction):

Casey
Essendon
Williamstown
Footscray
Port Melbourne
Collingwood
Geelong
Werribee
----------------------------
Preston
Richmond
Sandringham
Box Hille
Frankston
Coburg
North Melbourne

Half the issue is the TAC Cup. The SANFL and WAFL will survive because they have players through 18's, reserves and seniors. Merging TAC Cup teams with VFL sides is the only way it'll survive.

Box Hille-Eastern
Sandy-Sandy
Werribee-Western Jets
Williamstown standalone (they can survive)
Port standalone
Coburg-Calder
Preston-Northern
Frankston-Dandy
Casey-Gippsland
Oakleigh standalone (although in that particular catchment they can go to either of Sandy or Box Hille/Eastern if they decide to drop one or two teams)
Geelong Falcons standalone
GWV Rebels standalone
Bendigo standalone
Murray standalone

GWV will obviously have to get players from the Ballarat League, Bendigo the same with Bendigo League, Murray from the OM league and Geelong from the GFL.

Agree with the TAC comments. The best way forward for a VFL comp would be an alignment. Port already have a loose alignment with Oakleigh so that may well continue.
The overall sticking point may be the Crows as there is an agreement for 15 years (or around that long) with the SANFL which is likely to need paying out.

Agree with the TAC comments. The best way forward for a VFL comp would be an alignment. Port already have a loose alignment with Oakleigh so that may well continue.
The overall sticking point may be the Crows as there is an agreement for 15 years (or around that long) with the SANFL which is likely to need paying out.
Yeah, the AFL can afford it. The problem I see is the country football, Bendigo failed, as did North Ballarat, and I doubt players would choose to play for Geelong Falcons over Geelong Cats but we need those catchment areas for AFL level.

I'm just going to put this out there as a general comment, but our VFL contingent is seriously sub par. They're all basically inferior versions of Nick Hind, and I'm not even convinced Hind is worthy of a spot in the first place.

Like, I have to double check their names because their that Vanilla but Hind, Fennell, Dixon, Marklew, Sheahan, Crosbie and McQueen are all light bodied, short and don't use it that well, I realise there were special circumstances given we rested 5 but we can probably only afford to have 2 of them.

Last edited:
I'm just going to put this out there as a general comment, but our VFL contingent is seriously sub par. They're all basically inferior versions of Nick Hind, and I'm not even convinced Hind is worthy of a spot in the first place.

Like, I have to double check their names because their that Vanilla but Hind, Fennell, Dixon, Marklew, Sheahan, Crosbie and McQueen are all light bodied, short and don't use it that well, I realise there were special circumstances given we rested 5 but we can probably only afford to have 2 of them.

We have always struggled to sign good former AFL players who werent aligned to Essendon. Thnik Josh Toy would be the best and even then he wasn't a raging success.

We have always struggled to sign good former AFL players who werent aligned to Essendon. Thnik Josh Toy would be the best and even then he wasn't a raging success.
20151211_vfl_H.jpg

Toy was a complete flop as an Essendon VFL player.
And really, with his issues with his ticker (and I truly mean that for anybody thinking I'm calling him soft, he has a genuine heart problem) it wasn't unexpected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And really, with his issues with his ticker (and I truly mean that for anybody thinking I'm calling him soft, he has a genuine heart problem) it wasn't unexpected.
Yep, absolutely. Poor bloke literally didn't have the heart for it.

Very important round coming up.

Richmond will smash Coburg :(
Williamstown should beat Geelong, however they're tough to beat down there.
Collingwood have been really impressive but they're a very small side, Bulldogs could expose that if they play Adams forward. Leaning towards the Dogs here.
We should beat Preston and beat them comfortably.
Port Melbourne vs Casey looks like the MOTR. Two very good sides, Port winning would be slightly better for us.
Box Hill look likely to beat North Melbourne
Sandringham vs Werribee right now looks like a cripple fight.

If those happen the way I predict we'll be top 4 this week I think.

Can;t get past paywall for HuN eth-dog but why is Liam Hunt not continuing on with Coburg? Would absolutely love him at Windy Hill for the second half of the season. Kid is a gun
I don't know but if I were to take a stab it would be that we are, unfortunately, a basket case. Honestly need to go back to local footy IMO as much as it pains me to say it.

Tassie to rejoin the VFL apparently Yoda_. AFL Vic would have to use travel allowances for small clubs like Coburg, Frankston and Werribee surely?

Tassie to rejoin the VFL apparently Yoda_. AFL Vic would have to use travel allowances for small clubs like Coburg, Frankston and Werribee surely?

Best thing for Tasmania imho. They have far too many talented kids not playing at a better level. Hopefully the whole north v south bullshit can be set aside for the betterment of AFL in that state.

* this s**t, you piece of s**t, attending to an injured player takes precedent and you should never umpire at state league level ever again.

Huge weekend for the Bombers despite not playing. Sandy vs Boxe Hille is very important, we need Sandy to win to keep us in touch with the scum of the east, and North vs Collingwood could also have finals ramifications, North winning would put us out of the 8 for this week but we can afford that due to their terrible percentage compared to ours, so I'd sooner see them win personally. The other two games don't really affect us but safe to say I want the Dolphins to win because * Preston, and I want Coburg to pass them, my Lions have Werribee and the scum of the North in the next 2 games, win both (plausible) and we could send them to a spoon.

It's disappointing that EFC have been forced to hold back players from the VFL because of fixture clashes and the one weekend in which they play on a Friday which would mean all players on the list could play, the team has a VFL bye- Frustrating indeed.

Who wins the Liston? And when is the Liston? The VFL never advertise it well. Some may say Collins, but a key defender winning it would be a major surprise. I'll throw Tom Bugg's name out there, he's been ultra consistent for Casey.

Rohan Bewick delisted by Brisbane. We should be trying to recruit him for our VFL team, perfect fit as a strong inside mid, and he can play for the Dons like uncle Darren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back