General VFLW discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

With the vflw season 3 weeks in what are your thoughts so far as we build up to our inaugural aflw season?

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-05-05/richmond-vflw-season-preview

COACH: Tom Hunter

CAPTAIN: Jess Kennedy

NOTABLE AFL W PLAYERS: Amelia Barden, Emma King, Lauren Tesoriero (Collingwood), Louise Stephenson (GWS Giants)

Fixture (may randomly change)
http://vfl.com.au/downloadable-fixtures/

Round 1 -
vs Western Bulldogs
Round 2 - vs Darebin
Round 3 - vs Collingwood (PRO) May 20 2pm
Round 4 - vs Williamstown (WFG) May 27 2pm
Round 5 - vs Essendon (PRO) June 2 4pm
Round 6 - vs Melb Uni (QEO) June 17 2:30pm
Round 7 - BYE
Round 8 - vs Hawthorn (PRO) July 1 2:30pm
Round 9 - vs Essendon (WH) July 8 11:30am (VFL Double header)
Round 10 -
vs Casey (QEO) July 15 2:30pm
Round 11 - vs NT Thunder (PRO) July 21 12pm
Round 12 - vs Carlton (IKON) July 28 11am (VFL Double header)
Round 13 -
vs Geelong (GS) Aug 4 2pm (VFL Double header)
Round 14 -
vs Williamstown (PRO) Aug 12 12pm
Round 15 - BYE
Round 16 - vs Southern Saints (SS) Aug 25 11am (VFL Double header)

Last edited:
Missed the game again the Dogs but went to the Darebin game.

Our women seemed a lot younger and slighter built than the Falcons.

Our players also seemed to blindly kick long, and so many times the Falcons were able to intercept mark. Their defenders took so many marks.

As a plus, our intensity at the footy is fantastic, and a hallmark of Richmond at all levels. We competed well when the ball was on the deck.

Looking forward to going along more and seeing how our team builds to its first AFLW season in 18 months..

To start off with a win was great, but a quick reality check. The range across the women's comp must be be fairly big. But I imagine it would be mostly about raising the skill level, team togetherness & game plan at this stage as well as ensuring the women really feel a part of the RFC....

Their (Women's team) arrival is really a historical event and they couldn't have started at a better time with our culture etc Go you Tigeresses!!

With the vflw season 3 weeks in what are your thoughts so far as we build up to our inaugural aflw season?

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-05-05/richmond-vflw-season-preview

Fixture

Round 1 -
vs Western Bulldogs
Round 2 - vs Darebin
Round 3 - vs Collingwood (OPO) May 20 11am
Round 4 - vs Williamstown (WFG) May 27 2pm
Round 5 - vs Essendon (PRO) June 2 4pm
Round 6 - vs Melb Uni (QEO) June 17 2:30pm
Round 7 - BYE
Round 8 - vs Hawthorn (PRO) July 1 2:30pm
Round 9 - vs Essendon (WH) July 8 11:30am (VFL Double header)
Round 10 -
vs Casey (QEO) July 15 2:30pm
Round 11 - vs NT Thunder (PRO) July 21 12pm
Round 12 - vs Carlton (IKON) July 28 11am (VFL Double header)
Round 13 -
vs Geelong (GS) Aug 4 2pm (VFL Double header)
Round 14 -
vs Williamstown (PRO) Aug 12 12pm
Round 15 - BYE
Round 16 - vs Southern Saints (SS) Aug 25 11am (VFL Double header)

Is the fixture in OP legit? VFLW website has us playing at 2pm Sunday at PRO, not 11 at OPO

Last edited:
Didn't see the Darebin game but we showed up the Footscray girls in the first week due to our attack at the footy and endeavour moving forward. Some very clean I50's gave us a lot of our score. Was shocked at how far we were off Darebin though after watching R1. Will be interesting to see how the team goes from here in. Will expect ups and downs.

Yet to catch a game and honestly have struggled to watch much of the AFLW on fox so far.

Hopefully a Richmond team in the works can draw my interest. Is there anywhere we can watch online or am I getting my hopes a bit high here?

Yet to catch a game and honestly have struggled to watch much of the AFLW on fox so far.

Hopefully a Richmond team in the works can draw my interest. Is there anywhere we can watch online or am I getting my hopes a bit high here?

I think Richmond will put highlights online later in the week.

BUT there is a radio call this afternoon of your game against the Pies (from 1pm) at rsn.net.au/digital-radio (then click on Carnival).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was streamed last week, caught a bit of it . Like a lot of women’s footy there are passages that you think, nice work and there are others that make a clutz of the situation , early days . I admire the girls for the effort they put in and pride in the jumper , power to them

Interested to know if we maintain any rights to our VFL players or do we just have to accept we may lose good players to this years AFLW draft.

Be a shame to develop good players only to not have them for our first season in 2020.
No rights retention to be had. Next year we'll probably have first crack at signing them though. North and Geelong had free-reign prior to the trade period and prior to October's draft to sign any 18+ year old that wasn't signed on an AFLW list the year before.

No rights retention to be had. Next year we'll probably have first crack at signing them though. North and Geelong had free-reign prior to the trade period and prior to October's draft to sign any 18+ year old that wasn't signed on an AFLW list the year before.

I bet that with all the hoo-ha surrounding norf raiding the other clubs the AFL will bring in some rule that stifles our list build. You wait and see.

I bet that with all the hoo-ha surrounding norf raiding the other clubs the AFL will bring in some rule that stifles our list build. You wait and see.
Guaranteed. And it'll only get worse in North actually do well in the season proper next year. Plus the pure fact that it's 4 teams coming in next year instead of 2 will make things more restrictive on us. We'll be playing from behind for sure

Guaranteed. And it'll only get worse in North actually do well in the season proper next year. Plus the pure fact that it's 4 teams coming in next year instead of 2 will make things more restrictive on us. We'll be playing from behind for sure

Do you know where we will be playing our AFLW home games? I can't see Punt Rd being big enough for our first game especially. If we manage to get a competitive side with a few stars we will rock the AFLW competition.

Do you know where we will be playing our AFLW home games? I can't see Punt Rd being big enough for our first game especially. If we manage to get a competitive side with a few stars we will rock the AFLW competition.
From what I'd read the club was hopeful of, if not expecting to, get facility upgrade funds in the last state budget. The plan was to add a new capacity for 7k patrons and bring us up to about 13k capacity if I remember correctly. Obviously that's not happening anymore or at least not before the 2020 AFLW season comes around.

To be honest I don't think it'll be a problem anyway. Attendances were pretty low this season apart from the opening match and the one at Perth Stadium. If we opened the season we might have to play it at Princes Park but we'd probably be fine hosting any other game at Punt Road. After all, Collinwood got away with playing somewhere with under 3k capacity, no seating and no shade.

how’s the W/L column for the birds? still just the one win?

Collingwood 9 8 0 1 0 389 215
NT Thunder 10 8 2 0 0 637 278
Hawthorn 9 8 1 0 0 360 197
Geelong Cats 10 7 2 1 0 395 288
Darebin 10 6 4 0 0 404 337
Western Bulldogs 10 6 4 0 0 401 381
Southern Saints 9 4 5 0 0 305 318
Casey Demons 9 4 5 0 0 275 331
Richmond 10 3 7 0 0 277 342
Carlton 10 3 7 0 0 357 462
Melbourne Uni 10 3 7 0 0 295 454
Williamstown 10 1 9 0 0 305 530