Roast Generation Change

Remove this Banner Ad

This is me.

tp-119.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was 17 when I bought my first membership in 2007, and then my second in 2008 and so on. View attachment 1174915
My first game was the first Showdown in 2007 (which we lost).
I’ve also been at our bottom 5 games for attendance in the AFL 😂.

Last edited:
I grew up in the days where a Port premiership was a forgone conclusion

I feel for you supporters who missed that era. The 80s and 90s were a wonderful thing.
Our success has certainly made it harder to support us these days. I literally have no idea how people could be excited by what we're dishing up at the moment, even though we're 5th. I mean I guess there is a small hint of hope, but we've been demonstrating we aren't actually good enough to win a flag with this group since 2015 so what hope there is, is basically waiting and hoping for some miraculous 'clicking' of our side. A light bulb moment if you will.

So I just don't know how we get excited at the moment, and you can feel that in our crowds. We had some incredible atmosphere in 2013 and 2014, and that has all but gone. Our crowds are seriously flat and the silence is deafening.

Yet there's teams that have spudded it up for decades like Carlton, and you turn on their games and their crowd is up and about. So excited by their mediocrity and the false hope they cling to. How do they get so excited?

We're used to winning flags. Our crowds were always pretty calm during the season, and vicious come finals time. So I feel like I along with many others just have no idea how to deal with this sort of mediocrity that we are subjected to, after so many years of success.

I 100% wish I could re-live the 80's & 90's and those Saturday's at Alberton all over again. Miss that so much.

Our success has certainly made it harder to support us these days. I literally have no idea how people could be excited by what we're dishing up at the moment, even though we're 5th. I mean I guess there is a small hint of hope, but we've been demonstrating we aren't actually good enough to win a flag with this group since 2015 so what hope there is, is basically waiting and hoping for some miraculous 'clicking' of our side. A light bulb moment if you will.

So I just don't know how we get excited at the moment, and you can feel that in our crowds. We had some incredible atmosphere in 2013 and 2014, and that has all but gone. Our crowds are seriously flat and the silence is deafening.

Yet there's teams that have spudded it up for decades like Carlton, and you turn on their games and their crowd is up and about. So excited by their mediocrity and the false hope they cling to. How do they get so excited?

We're used to winning flags. Our crowds were always pretty calm during the season, and vicious come finals time. So I feel like I along with many others just have no idea how to deal with this sort of mediocrity that we are subjected to, after so many years of success.

I 100% wish I could re-live the 80's & 90's and those Saturday's at Alberton all over again. Miss that so much.

On that Carlton point, their fans get so up and about on social media whenever they win a game.

Just goes to show how rare it is for them to win. Have they won more than 7 games in a season since 2013?

The big question when port entered the afl was whether we'd be able to translate our history and culture of success into the bigtime. For the first decade or so it looked like we would. We were instantly competitive, then finished top of the ladder and won a flag. Even after a disappointing fall, we sprung back up to compete for a GF just 3 years later. Then something broke. The 2007 grand final destroyed something in our club and it hasn't been the same since.

Hinkley has embedded that mentally weak fragility further. We perform like a club scared of success, failing on almost every big game occasion.

The big question when port entered the afl was whether we'd be able to translate our history and culture of success into the bigtime. For the first decade or so it looked like we would. We were instantly competitive, then finished top of the ladder and won a flag. Even after a disappointing fall, we sprung back up to compete for a GF just 3 years later. Then something broke. The 2007 grand final destroyed something in our club and it hasn't been the same since.

Hinkley has embedded that mentally weak fragility further. We perform like a club scared of success, failing on almost every big game occasion.

The "Bigtime" is such a load of s**t. VFL powerhouses have struggled in the "Bigtime".

Since we entered the comp.
Port have won 1 flag
Collingwood have won 1 flag
Essendon have won 1 flag.
Carlton 0 Flags
Richmond outside the last 5 years have been a complete basket case of a club.

All this with a League that does all it can to help these VFL "Big 4".

VFL wasn't the "Bigtime", it was just a bit bigger than the other top tier leagues.

My first game was the first Showdown in 2007 (which we lost).
I’ve also been at our bottom 5 games for attendance in the AFL 😂.

How did you end up choosing us? Colours, history or players? I assumed you did your research and realised the Crows were pure evil.

I also spent the money i had saved for my first car on the 2007 Gf. Three and half grand and a year of my life to watch us lose by a record number. Followed by the clubs worst years in history. I only missed the Saturday arvo games between 2007-2015.

How did you end up choosing us? Colours, history or players? I assumed you did your research and realised the Crows were pure evil.

I also spent the money i had saved for my first car on the 2007 Gf. Three and half grand and a year of my life to watch us lose by a record number. Followed by the clubs worst years in history. I only missed the Saturday arvo games between 2007-2015.
History and my eldest.

AND as in soccer I walked down to where the rowdies were, it happened to be the Outer Army at the time and they were all very friendly and noisy.

The "Bigtime" is such a load of sh*t. VFL powerhouses have struggled in the "Bigtime".

Since we entered the comp.
Port have won 1 flag
Collingwood have won 1 flag
Essendon have won 1 flag.
Carlton 0 Flags
Richmond outside the last 5 years have been a complete basket case of a club.

All this with a League that does all it can to help these VFL "Big 4".

VFL wasn't the "Bigtime", it was just a bit bigger than the other top tier leagues.

Eh? When we entered the AFL was the bigtime and the snafful was a substandard state league. A decade or two earlier and it was much closer but by 97 there was a massive gap.

I think our Magpies board members and ethos got gradually replaced with SANFL then AFL board members and ethos.

If the members were voting in thr board there is no way this s**t would fly.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back