Generation NeXt. Comparing today with the future

Remove this Banner Ad

This morning I read the below article from Bleacher Report:
http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/nba-mirror-images/

Essentially the analysts at BR through various formulas and modeling techniques identified the next crop of superstars in the NBA. They then found the young bucks equivalents who are either playing now, or in the past.

Here's a summary

Kevin Garnett - Karl Anthony-Towns
image-924-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: Both play(ed) for the Wolfies

Krispy Porzingis and Dirk Nowitzki
image-925-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: both white, tall shooters. From Europe.

Giannis the Greek and Bigfootys Lamar Odom
image-926-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: Don't know if Giannis has been found unconscious in a brothel before, or married a Kardashian. But you know......POINT FORWARD

D'Angelo Russell and Steph Curry
image-927-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: If Russ ends up with something resembling SCs career I will be happy. Not sure if I'd be content with blowing a 3-1 lead however.

Kevin Durant Brandon Ingram
image-928-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: Wow, the lakers have a diet coke version of GSs big 2! Both are thin. Would like B.I to stay a Laker and not jump onto a team that vanquishes LAL in the playoffs however

Kris Dunn - John Wall
image-929-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: both lightning quick, black, guards.

Christopher Bosh - Myles Turner
image-930-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: This intrigues me. Havent seen MT play so will listen to others. He doesnt really look like a dinosaur either.

Justice Winslow - Andre Iggy
image-931-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: Justice is known for being a tough defender. Iggy made guarding 1-4 his own. Why couldnt they find a pic of him in GSW threads?

Nikola Jokic - Pau Gasol
image-932-large-2048.jpg

OPs take: Can Nik yell when taking contact at the rim?

Devin Booker - Jason Kidd
image-933-large-2048.jpg

Wow. Just wow. HUGE shoes to fill there. Both played for the Suns.

Would've been nice if they tried to find some comparisons different from the ones everyone brings up.

The only thing Towns and Garnett have in common is the Minnesota connection and their mobility as big men. Other than that it seems pretty lazy as KAT seems completely different to me in the way he gets his points and how he defends.

Kristaps and Dirk offensively I tend to agree. Kristaps has greater athletic and defensive potential.

As for Giannis and Odom, I kind of get it. Giannis at the very least is Lamar on steroids, wreaking far more havoc defensively.

Curry and Russell have the passing ability and shooting ability somewhat in common, but Curry even as a rookie was far superior offensively. Very hard for me to see Russell being such a great scorer. Seems much better suited to being a facilitator.

The Durant and Ingram one is starting to get on my nerves. They have length in common, but right now Ingram doesn't look anything like Durant, defensively he's shown signs but offensively he's got miles to go.

The rest seem like stretches, although Turner and Bosh might be a good one.

Would've been nice if they tried to find some comparisons different from the ones everyone brings up.

The only thing Towns and Garnett have in common is the Minnesota connection and their mobility as big men. Other than that it seems pretty lazy as KAT seems completely different to me in the way he gets his points and how he defends.

Kristaps and Dirk offensively I tend to agree. Kristaps has greater athletic and defensive potential.

As for Giannis and Odom, I kind of get it. Giannis at the very least is Lamar on steroids, wreaking far more havoc defensively.

Curry and Russell have the passing ability and shooting ability somewhat in common, but Curry even as a rookie was far superior offensively. Very hard for me to see Russell being such a great scorer. Seems much better suited to being a facilitator.

The Durant and Ingram one is starting to get on my nerves. They have length in common, but right now Ingram doesn't look anything like Durant, defensively he's shown signs but offensively he's got miles to go.

The rest seem like stretches, although Turner and Bosh might be a good one.

im not convinced about russell. dunno what his strength is.

For me Devon Booker- Kobe Bryant
Both taken with the 13th pick
Both shooting guards
Both 198cm
They can both Drain Threes.
He is hardly like Kobe at all.

Kobe was much more athletic, had a far different scoring arsenal, was a great defender in his prime and he was a good passer when he wanted to be. Obviously Booker is still young and has room to grow, but he looks like being a much more limited player.

He isn't shooting threes well at the moment either.

He is hardly like Kobe at all.

Kobe was much more athletic, had a far different scoring arsenal, was a great defender in his prime and he was a good passer when he wanted to be. Obviously Booker is still young and has room to grow, but he looks like being a much more limited player.

He isn't shooting threes well at the moment either.
Well Bryant is a way better comparison then Jason Kidd... at least I got the position...

For me Devon Booker- Kobe Bryant
Both taken with the 13th pick
Both shooting guards
Both 198cm
They can both Drain Threes.

Booker hasn't ever actually been a good 3 point shooter in the league

15/16: 34% on 4 attempts / game
16/17: 31% on 5 attempts / game

This is a list who are shooting better this year

Jimmy Butler
Andrew Wiggins
John Wall
Russell Westbrook
KAT
DMC
Porzingis
Otto Porter
Oladipo
Carmelo
Marc Gasol
Rudy Gay
KCP
Jabari Parker
Marcus Morris
Jeff Teague
Dwayne Wade
Rondo
Schroder

List goes on...

Did shoot 41% in college and has a nice looking stroke so might get there though

Booker hasn't ever actually been a good 3 point shooter in the league

15/16: 34% on 4 attempts / game
16/17: 31% on 5 attempts / game

This is a list who are shooting better this year

Jimmy Butler
Andrew Wiggins
John Wall
Russell Westbrook
KAT
DMC
Porzingis
Otto Porter
Oladipo
Carmelo
Marc Gasol
Rudy Gay
KCP
Jabari Parker
Marcus Morris
Jeff Teague
Dwayne Wade
Rondo
Schroder

List goes on...

Did shoot 41% in college and has a nice looking stroke so might get there though
Fair enough, I said he can drain threes, not that he is great at them, I think he will be one of the best 3 point shooters in the league in a couple years, when the kid gets hot he can dominate, but it's just a matter of when, as soon as he can find consistency with his shooting is when I think he will develop into an all star calibre player.

Fair enough, I said he can drain threes, not that he is great at them, I think he will be one of the best 3 point shooters in the league in a couple years, when the kid gets hot he can dominate, but it's just a matter of when, as soon as he can find consistency with his shooting is when I think he will develop into an all star calibre player.

the way i see it someone who drains 3s is a good 3 pt shooter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really see how Devin Booker is anything like Jason Kidd, either. Booker is more of a natural scorer already than Kidd probably ever was, but he's nowehere near the playmaker or defender than Kidd was, and probably never will be, either. Basically, Booker is what Archie Goodwin and Austin Rivers were supposed to be coming into the league.

Michael Carter-Williams is the more appropriate comparison with Kidd, especially if you compare them at the same age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back