News Generous Magpies to keep paying staff during coronavirus shutdown and offer loyal fans discounts

Remove this Banner Ad

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Collingwood will continue to partially pay staff it has been forced to stand down during the coronavirus shutdown period, as well as offer loyal members a future discount.

It comes as assistant coaches have been told they are eligible to apply for Centrelink support or manual labour jobs in the interim.

But Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph told Fox Footy Live the Magpies would use their banked riches to pay staff for two days a week, in an effort to help them through the time off.

“Now, that’s short of 100 per cent, but at least it means they can tick over their mortgages, they can still pay for groceries and all those sort of things. They won’t have to go to the dole queue,” he said.

“I’ve spoken to a few of those people and they’re just so happy because they feel like they’ve got a new lease on life again.”

The Magpies will also use their financial power to give loyal members a discount for 2021, if they’re willing to stick by the club in 2020.

“Collingwood’s got something like $18 million of membership revenue that would’ve come in this year. What they’re planning to do is say if you want to retain your membership next year, you’ll get a 30 per cent cut on that,” Ralph said.

“I think they’re aware that some of those people with Legends Club memberships, a couple of thousand, will give those back. Normally you’d go to the back of the queue, but they still will be able to retain those memberships next year - but if you retain it this year, 30 per cent cuts.

“A lot of clubs have had to absolutely gouge all of their staff, but Collingwood are saying no, we’ve made $30 million in the bank, we’ve got a $17 million future fund, and we are going to spend that for our stuff - people, culture. Fantastic.”

Hawthorn great Jason Dunstall was full of praise for the Magpies’ move.

“I love that they’re giving a drip feed to all their staff - that allows people to survive, and not feel like the world’s closing in on them,” he said.

I love our club! 💕

It's a great move.. until it leaves us bankrupt...
Hmmm unlikely, with the calibre and corporate wiliness of some of the people on our board I fully expect that it wouldve been a stroke of genius and will be in exchange for a 40% discount across everyone's 2021 salaries, kind of like an advance on ordinary hours paid 😁

Nice and generous move by our club.

Great people have an going support system.

Were all in it together, and far far better our people have something than moved along.

If our clubs money is not to support its people, then to what purpose?

It's going to be a long & hard season for you to fulfil your needs.

Great stuff Pies. I hope we can sustain it and that the people who make Collingwood what it is get through this. Wondering also if the club can think of novel ways to keep some money coming in, through raising funds from fans who keep their incomes during this period.

I know there will be more deserving needs in the community in coming months. But footy is so important to so many of us. It’s gone way beyond missing seeing games in 2020 and feeling miffed about it. The culture and fabric of our club is at stake. And at a purely competitive level, its better to hold onto staff so we hit the ground running when footy returns. There are all sorts of good reasons to do this.

Great move by the club. I'd assume other teams will do similar rather than risk losing people they want to retain longer term.

Great move by the club. I'd assume other teams will do similar rather than risk losing people they want to retain longer term.

Some teams don't have the money to do that

Our fanatical vice president alex waislitz has promised $5m to the club on a couple of occasions in the past. I fully expect him to promise more money this time.

Our fanatical vice president alex waislitz has promised $5m to the club on a couple of occasions in the past. I fully expect him to promise more money this time.
He’s waiting for you to donate first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great move by the club.

Dare I ask are senior management/players/coaches throwing their collective hats in the ring?

Either the story is factually incorrect and they've been told to pull it (not beyond the realms of possibility given it's Jon Ralph) or it's information we didn't want released at present and they've been asked to take it down.

If it wasn't for the OP most of us wouldn't be any the wiser that this article ever existed.

Side by side.
You either mean it or it's a cheap arsed throw away line in an ad campaign.
Pies obviously mean it.
I am proud of them.
They will never go bankrupt with a strong supporter base.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back