Science/Environment Genetic testing for heritage + disease.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Practical/doable?

Yes: http://anthropology.net/2007/12/09/anthropologist-meredith-small-says-dna-testing-is-a-scam/

No: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1031360/online-genetic-testing-exposed-scam
http://blogs.forbes.com/sciencebiz/2010/03/17/another-reason-not-to-get-your-genes-scanned/

From what I can gather after a few mins reading, testing for disease is just too complex. Just as there's probably no single gay gene, but numerous interactions going on both within the body & with the environment, the same can probably be said about disease. As the last article says, certain genes/interactions/whatever that we know about seem to only slightly increase the risk anyway- & there would be an unknown, probably extraordinary amount of other interactions going on that we don't know about. So ... just being able to pin point one or two isn't really that helpful. On heritage, I'm not sure. It's a cool thing to do, but finding a company that isn't a scammer is probably difficult.

*I know nothing about genetics, maybe somebody who's studied it can weigh in?

SO what if you find out you have a strong pre-disposition to a debilitating disease?

Unless you're willing to embrace all the ramifications, I wouldn't ask at all.

Heritage I don't care about testing for, but disease I'd be happy enough, if it was cheap enough, to have tested gene's that are risk factors for certain diseases.

By that I mean ones that there are steps I can then take to reduce the risk. I wouldn't be interested in finding out a predisposition to diseases that there is no cure for.

Could be handy if you find out you can claim Abstudy and be able to tick the box that ensures a cushy ride into schooling or work.

Just when you build up a little credibility ....you then just pull it all down AMS.

As compared to the credibility of those blue eyed, blone haired Aboriginals?

I guffaw at them.

You do know about dominant/recessive genes? Knew a chick who had blonde hair and blue eyes but her mum and sister were pretty dark skinned and their heritage was pretty obvious. She was no less aboriginal than them.

I wonder how far back the Windsor's looked into kate middletons DNA?

The Windsors DNA would far more interesting and much less diverse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Windsors DNA would far more interesting and much less diverse.

I propose they would like to keep it that way, this sought of "screening" would facilitate that want!

I wonder how far back the Windsor's looked into kate middletons DNA?

Quite extensively as I understand it, in fact I believe there was some sort of connection way way back. But I could be wrong.

Insurance companies will probably push to make this testing mandatory if you want coverage as the technology becomes available. Sadly some folk will end up uninsurable.

This. There is already a Guthrie Test done at birth which takes a blood sample to test and there is a push to make this include DNA Testing for gentic conditions and to include the Fathers DNA in order to verify paternity. Problem is you can bet that government/police/insurance companies will want to get their hands all over it.

Personally form a voyeuristic viewpoint it would be fascinating to see just how close the Nature vs Nurture link is. I change between thinking environment plays a massive part (which it does) to a lot of our decisions and so called free will are already made for us based on our biological, hormones, responses and feelings (which are basically determined by DNA).

Hell I'd have a test myself but wouldn't want it in the wrong hands. And I'm not convinced the technology is as full proof as is made out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back