• End of 2017

• End of 2018

• ASAP

• Extend his contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Simpson is beyond reproach (apart from the things that you acknowledge he needs to do better) because of something he did two years ago which seems to have been largely built on the back of the guy who left and is currently coaching the top team in the league. Makes sense...

You forgot to say Woosha out coached Clarko too which Simpson continually fails to do ..

Simpson doesn't have a system enabling drafted players to get AFL experience. A few do of course but most get sent to East Perth to waste away. Because of this we don't have any exciting youngsters ready to come into the team. Congratulations to Murtimer. Yay.

Watching the game tonight between Dogs and Giants has made few things clear for me as a fan. We need to address the following issues( and plenty more):
  • Coaching panel and the board for that matter. Head coach to match committee to assistant coach, backline and forward coach, recruiters, scouts. They need to be watching the game tonight and take a good look at themselves. We are so far behind these two its not even close.
  • Footy areas to work on- Quiet simply from what I can see from these two teams the following areas need to be addressed immediately:
  • Tackling- Elite teams have almost every single one of their 22 players as a tackling machine. watching Jong tackle back to back efforts and win footy is what we don't have in our team. No one in our team can lay 3 tackles in a row and that is a major issue. This is why guys like Masten, Jetta,Lecras and Gaff( yes Gaff) are liability in today's game because all it takes is for them to miss a tackle to open up our defence. For god sake Gaff can barely even lay one tackle never mind two or three in a row. What is our coaching panel doing during pre season??
  • Shrugging off tackles- In addition to tackling ability, elite teams have more than enough players in their first 22( between 6-8 players) who can evade tackles by shrugging it off due to core strength. Massive advantage to this is once again exposing the opposition's defense. This works hand in hand with tackling pressure. Only shuey, maybe prridis and sometimes wello are the players who can do it, amongst them Shuey is the only one who can break lines at elite level. Dogs have about 8 of them. so do GWS. This is how elites win games when tackling pressure is even on both ends, they rely on these guys to break tackles and open the game up like Bont like Danger lie Sloane. We never get to that point with our opposition, cuz we usually cant match them on tackling department in first place, never mind this area.fml :(
This is what I recognise as major issue for this side at the moment. Of course there will be other areas to improve but i think fixing this issue will have an immediate impact on our results. Forget about this year, we are so far off, we need a miracle to get anywhere near GF.

Simpson doesn't have a system enabling drafted players to get AFL experience. A few do of course but most get sent to East Perth to waste away. Because of this we don't have any exciting youngsters ready to come into the team. Congratulations to Murtimer. Yay.
we don't have exciting youngsters, the jumper doesn't change that. Do you recall the game against GWS in summer when we played these exciting kids

we don't have exciting youngsters, the jumper doesn't change that. Do you recall the game against GWS in summer when we played these exciting kids
I disagree,some senior players in the team know they can continue getting games as long as they do the weekly training well they get picked even if they have horrible game day performance.I don't think these players( JD, Gaff, masten, lecras) fear Simmo. so what the point?? that has a domino effect in reserves hence why we have debuted the least amount of players compared to any other team in the league I think.

I disagree,some senior players in the team know they can continue getting games as long as they do the weekly training well they get picked even if they have horrible game day performance.I don't think these players( JD, Gaff, masten, lecras) fear Simmo. so what the point?? that has a domino effect in reserves hence why we have debuted the least amount of players compared to any other team in the league I think.
X does not equal Y

We also beat GWS away - but we had the best midfielder on the ground. Sadly missing this season.

X does not equal Y

We also beat GWS away - but we had the best midfielder on the ground. Sadly missing this season.
bending over to your senior players and not dropping them is not X vs Y. This crop will not win a flag. period. Nic nat doesn't change all that much. horrible recruting, horrible trades.

bending over to your senior players and not dropping them is not X vs Y. This crop will not win a flag. period. Nic nat doesn't change all that much. horrible recruting, horrible trades.

Pretty early to be dismissing the season entirely, don't you think?

How did you feel after the derby in round 3, 2015?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A. You don't understand the logic I mentioned
B. You obviously didn't see our GWS win live - he was a beast on the ground in congestion and won the game for us.

A. You don't understand the logic I mentioned
B. You obviously didn't see our GWS win live - he was a beast on the ground in congestion and won the game for us.
Dude stop living in the past. Thats one game. They have improved. Your logic is questionable. Look at the basics and tell me we can match it with these guys week in week out???

game plan is out of date. Simmo brought a modified hawthorn style game plan to the club and now the game has moved on. Fast break and high intensity football is now the way. It doesn't have to be clean you just have to keep the ball moving forward to get through the zone then have quick players off the back to capitalise. We tend to play a high disposal game reliant on precision, which when faced with high pressure football falls apart.

This is made more obvious when playing on the tighter confines of the mcg.

Earlier in the week I said I've lost patience with Simmo and that he should probably go. That was probably harsh of me.

I honestly thought Damien Hardwick was the most clueless coach in the league (and maybe he is). When they replaced everyone below him I thought it was a case of a lot of others taking the fall for him. But you can't fault the fact that shaking things up when things wasn't working has them playing good footy now.

That's what I want to see us do. Admit that the mix isn't right. Shake things up, give it a chance and make an honest appraisal. Rinse and repeat until we hit on something that works. It's just so sickening watching this club tinker around the edges with a formula that doesn't work.

Simmo can go or not go, I'm not fazed that much. But we need to start implementing some big changes. That's my 2c.

Two starting 18 poached midfielders and a recruitment philosophy biased towards zippy small to medium midfielder/forwards with good foot skills helps.

I think pace and commitment to a contest is grossly undervalued by this club since and has been since the recruitment of Daniel Kerr.

He should get the ass if he keeps playing guys like Josh Hill and Chris Masten

I remember reading I think it was last year how Simpson was up against the "establishment" at the Eagles and didn't yet have the power or the balls to make big calls on established players. Too many protected players played on reputation as opposed to form.

I think Simpson now has more than enough evidence (number of games) to start making hard calls. The question is does he have the spine to make these tough calls. Look at Norths this week dropping Swallow (ex captain) and Thomas. That is after moving on Harvey, Petrie, Del Santo and other club legends last year.

It helps to have good depth of in form players. But sometimes a coach also needs to drop a promising kid into the side to send a message to senior players and also to add youthful enthusiasm which can quickly fire up the older guys. When a kid is out there the older guys know they need to step up a bit more, stand up and look after the kids and also not be shown up by a kid at the start of their careers.

So which kids should be getting a look in? This week its Mutimer after a good 3 games of form to cover Cripps forward defensive pressure and speed. Watson prior to injury was getting plenty of ball and can makes things happen but his first exposure to WAFL is a big step up to AFL but the kid has shown he's capable.

Shame Partington picked up an ankle injury and Karpany just seems like he's 5% short of AFL standard.

game plan is out of date. Simmo brought a modified hawthorn style game plan to the club and now the game has moved on. Fast break and high intensity football is now the way. It doesn't have to be clean you just have to keep the ball moving forward to get through the zone then have quick players off the back to capitalise. We tend to play a high disposal game reliant on precision, which when faced with high pressure football falls apart.

This is made more obvious when playing on the tighter confines of the mcg.

Tighter confines of the MCG?

Really? What are trying to say here?

The MCG is a wide, fat ground and isn't "confining" its actually the opposite. That's one of the reasons our game plan fails there.

The SCG is a confining ground, Subi also because it is skinnier than the MCG.

Tighter confines of the MCG?

Really? What are trying to say here?

The MCG is a wide, fat ground and isn't "confining" its actually the opposite. That's one of the reasons our game plan fails there.

The SCG is a confining ground, Subi also because it is skinnier than the MCG.

What I mean is that with the mcg being shorter and wider it pushes us out wide and means that we get scoring shots for the pockets, which are harder to kick goals from than the subi pockets. Teams just close down the corridor and kill us on the rebound. Our goal kick accuracy is always trash at the G

I remember reading I think it was last year how Simpson was up against the "establishment" at the Eagles and didn't yet have the power or the balls to make big calls on established players. Too many protected players played on reputation as opposed to form.

I think Simpson now has more than enough evidence (number of games) to start making hard calls. The question is does he have the spine to make these tough calls. Look at Norths this week dropping Swallow (ex captain) and Thomas. That is after moving on Harvey, Petrie, Del Santo and other club legends last year.

It helps to have good depth of in form players. But sometimes a coach also needs to drop a promising kid into the side to send a message to senior players and also to add youthful enthusiasm which can quickly fire up the older guys. When a kid is out there the older guys know they need to step up a bit more, stand up and look after the kids and also not be shown up by a kid at the start of their careers.

So which kids should be getting a look in? This week its Mutimer after a good 3 games of form to cover Cripps forward defensive pressure and speed. Watson prior to injury was getting plenty of ball and can makes things happen but his first exposure to WAFL is a big step up to AFL but the kid has shown he's capable.

Shame Partington picked up an ankle injury and Karpany just seems like he's 5% short of AFL standard.
North are 3-15 since mid season last year, not exactly the same situation as we are at the moment.

We also don't have many options to bring in, either because they've been tried (Hutch, Jetta, Mackenzie, Schofield), are in our best team but injured (Naitanui, Cripps, Lycett, Nelson), might be pushing for selection but been injured (Venables, Partington, Rioli, Waterman, Cole) or haven't shown consistent WAFL form (Allen, Lamb, Rotham, Karpany). That's every player on our senior list that didn't play today.

If you include the rookie list, injured (Petrie, Tunbridge, Watson), gone forever (Brophy) that leaves (McInnes, Gorter, Snadden and Bayok) none of whom have been upgraded.

What are the changes we could even make at the moment? I'd be playing Venables, Partington, Cole, Karpany and Rioli at times when they're fit and have played a few good WAFL games. None of them are in that position right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back