Conspiracy Theory Geocentricity -vs- Heliocentricity

Remove this Banner Ad

Concur totally with the point about the earths atmosphere affecting the view of bodies in the cosmos. Sun and moon can appear bigger in the sky when low to the horizon because the view goes through a thicker part of the atmosphere

Actually not quite right. When the sun and/or moon are near the horizon, they are viewed through MORE atmosphere, but not actually thicker. (I know - technical hair-splitting etc). The reason they appear bigger is still under discussion - they actually are not any bigger in your field of vision (which has been proven many times and is easy to do yourself by merely holding up an object like your finger and comparing its size with that of the moon, and doing the same when the moon is directly overhead). What happens is your brain interprets the object as bigger than when viewed directly overhead.

This illusion has been known for centuries and has been discussed by scientists since pre-biblical times. There are still several theories as to what causes it, but no firm agreement. Most probable is the 'Apparent distance of Object' explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

Actually not quite right. When the sun and/or moon are near the horizon, they are viewed through MORE atmosphere, but not actually thicker. (I know - technical hair-splitting etc). The reason they appear bigger is still under discussion - they actually are not any bigger in your field of vision (which has been proven many times and is easy to do yourself by merely holding up an object like your finger and comparing its size with that of the moon, and doing the same when the moon is directly overhead). What happens is your brain interprets the object as bigger than when viewed directly overhead.

This illusion has been known for centuries and has been discussed by scientists since pre-biblical times. There are still several theories as to what causes it, but no firm agreement. Most probable is the 'Apparent distance of Object' explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

OK, so when we had tables to allow for the angular effect in marine navigation it was just rot? Sextants measure angles accurately not some mind bending bulldust

Anyway sometimes the effect is greater than other times. The theory being more dust and haze in the atmosphere ‘harvest moon’

Last edited:
OK, so when we had tables to allow for the angular effect in marine navigation it was just rot?

No. That is fine. There is no doubt that atmospheric refraction can alter the apparent position of where the sun (or the moon or any star) is at an exact point in time. And certainly, the more atmosphere light has to travel through, and the greater angle at which it strikes a receptor (ie, your eye) can significantly alter your perception of where the sun, moon or stars appear to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refraction

I was just addressing the issue of the sun/moon appearing to be 'larger' near the horizon.

This all again raises the big question: WHAT IS THE POINT OF LYING? What benefit do scientists and education systems get, globally and locally, from teaching us something that, in reality, would make no real difference for us?

If we woke up tomorrow and all the powers that be confessed that the world was indeed flat, or not rotating or was in fact the center of all the universe, the day would just...go on. So why the lies?
I've asked this question, and I'm yet to get an answer that makes sense. There is no reason to deny the earth is flat, it serves no purpose to sit on that information. Ergo, it's not flat. The earth orbits the sun.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back