Geoff Walsh Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Wags is a nice bloke, not the right fit IMO.
Ross Lyon, Wayne Campbell, Steve Silvagni, (ouch) Luke Ball, Grant Thomas.
Maxy probably already has it though.

Externally - If we're looking externally then I like the suggestions that we look outside the box. Doesn't have to be someone currently in an AFL role or even a male. Not Ross Lyon thanks.

Why not Lyon just out of interest? Has taken two different clubs to GFs so obviously has experience in building a successful culture (not the ultimate success obviously, but success just the same). Also involved in a successful Swans program as an assistant, plus experience at both Richmond & Carlton as an assistant and at Fitzroy & Brisbane as a player. It’s a handy starting point in terms of seeing the full gamut of how various clubs operate.

I think we need to look beyond “cos I don’t like him / he’s a bastard” as an answer. The majority of players he coached reportedly loved him and he’s well respected.

The person put in that position has to be able to stand up to Buckley & Eddie & the rest of the boys club there and hold their ground and not blink. Will Wagner do that? No chance. Maxwell? Maybe, but already has relationships with those mentioned so not ideal.

I certainly think he’s one that should be on our radar because he seems an ultra professional, but I would hope Clarko has a strong say in their list management discussions because their list has gotten away from them since 2015, IMO.

He’s been their head recruiter/ GM of footy operations for close to a decade? In that time I don’t think they’ve had many obvious hits (Sicily, Mitchell and Day who will be a beauty are the only ones that immediately spring to mind) and their best work was done in keeping the group together which was a significantly easier task post losing Buddy. I also believe there was once bad blood with Buckley? I’m not as confident on that though.

Simon Dalrymple is another who would be worth looking into if he has the GM of footy bug and I actually think Brad Scott would be another.

Interesting. Brad Scott is one I had not considered and might be also worth of consideration. Plenty of good footy pedigree and well respected - maybe too soon out of coaching perhaps.

Dalrymple loved his recruiting at the doggies during his time there but not sure if he is still engaged by the Swans in any capacity. But would be a good get to add to the recruitment lense.

Hadn't heard of any issues between Wright and Buckley but others may know of this.

Dan Richardson ex Richmond and and recently departed from Essendon might also be worth a look.

Why not Lyon just out of interest? Has taken two different clubs to GFs so obviously has experience in building a successful culture (not the ultimate success obviously, but success just the same). Also involved in a successful Swans program as an assistant, plus experience at both Richmond & Carlton as an assistant and at Fitzroy & Brisbane as a player. It’s a handy starting point in terms of seeing the full gamut of how various clubs operate.

I think we need to look beyond “cos I don’t like him / he’s a bastard” as an answer. The majority of players he coached reportedly loved him and he’s well respected.

The person put in that position has to be able to stand up to Buckley & Eddie & the rest of the boys club there and hold their ground and not blink. Will Wagner do that? No chance. Maxwell? Maybe, but already has relationships with those mentioned so not ideal.

Lyon would be a great addition - just not sure his heart is in administration. I think he has always said he is a career coach and think this might be the reason he is overlooked.

Personally I think he has a great footy brain so would be open to getting him in

There's a few opinions on here suggesting that the club will carry on as usual and Ed will employ someone he wants rather than what's good for the club.

I'm not so certain, there's a lot of noise around this club recently and the club just can't ignore the criticism anymore it's become overwhelming and it unavoidable.

Even Ed himself can see that IF the club continues on a path of poor administration, infighting and player lament then change is required and that change won't be achieved by continuing the 'jobs for mates' mantra.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd be very surprised if Ed and the club as whole hasn't had a light bulb moment.

I think positive change is coming and the club is going to admit it's failings.

Fresh broom required.
No more jobs for the boys. No ex Collingwood player.We need a fresh approach. Time to recruit someone who has seen success in the last decade.
Richmond or Geelong or Hawthorn.
Preferably someone who has/is the understudy. Someone who has seen the inner workings but has been held back from the head role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wags is a nice bloke, not the right fit IMO.
Ross Lyon, Wayne Campbell, Steve Silvagni, (ouch) Luke Ball, Grant Thomas.
Maxy probably already has it though.
Luke Ball, I think many of you know what I think about him.

tenor.gif

There's a few opinions on here suggesting that the club will carry on as usual and Ed will employ someone he wants rather than what's good for the club.

I'm not so certain, there's a lot of noise around this club recently and the club just can't ignore the criticism anymore it's become overwhelming and it unavoidable.

Even Ed himself can see that IF the club continues on a path of poor administration, infighting and player lament then change is required and that change won't be achieved by continuing the 'jobs for mates' mantra.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd be very surprised if Ed and the club as whole hasn't had a light bulb moment.

I think positive change is coming and the club is going to admit it's failings.
Good -let's keep an eye out for the job advert

We must appoint an external candidate, preferably poached from a successful team. An internal appointment would be more proof that the current administration are motivated by self preservation, not the success of our club.
Maxwell worked for successful teams outside of Collingwood after retiring, as well as setting up his own business. I think he is just the person we need.

Interesting. Brad Scott is one I had not considered and might be also worth of consideration. Plenty of good footy pedigree and well respected - maybe too soon out of coaching perhaps.

Dalrymple loved his recruiting at the doggies during his time there but not sure if he is still engaged by the Swans in any capacity. But would be a good get to add to the recruitment lense.

Hadn't heard of any issues between Wright and Buckley but others may know of this.

Dan Richardson ex Richmond and and recently departed from Essendon might also be worth a look.
Richardson definitely worth a look. He is as responsible as anyone for building the current Richmond list. Sounds like he was on the wrong side of a personality clash with the CEO at Essendon. Although he might be seen as being too close to Buckley.

And thank god for that, wasn’t there a sexual harassment complaint against him at Freo.
Yep. The stories I hear about Ross suggest he is quite dysfunctional.
He's essentially bi-polar. Says one thing one minute and next day says exactly the opposite and leaves everyone confused.
Very prone to playing favourites. So Nat Fyfe liked him because he let him get away with whatever he liked, other much less so.

Blew up his own finances in the GFC and left St Kilda with a playing list that had no youth coming through.
Doesn't sound like a good fit for a club which has just mismanaged its salary cap and had held on to retaining a playing group at the expense of the finances.

As a defensive coach, I fear that Buckley's defensive coaching style would be reinforced with him as Buckley's boss.
We need a more attacking style for mine, with quicker ball movement.

Freo is a much happier place now he has moved on.
Dead against him as a candidate for Collingwood.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back