Geoff Walsh Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. The stories I hear about Ross suggest he is quite dysfunctional.
He's essentially bi-polar. Says one thing one minute and next day says exactly the opposite and leaves everyone confused.
Very prone to playing favourites. So Nat Fyfe liked him because he let him get away with whatever he liked, other much less so.

Blew up his own finances in the GFC and left St Kilda with a playing list that had no youth coming through.
Doesn't sound like a good fit for a club which has just mismanaged its salary cap and had held on to retaining a playing group at the expense of the finances.

As a defensive coach, I fear that Buckley's defensive coaching style would be reinforced with him as Buckley's boss.
We need a more attacking style for mine, with quicker ball movement.

Freo is a much happier place now he has moved on.
Dead against him as a candidate for Collingwood.
Yep and all the rest of it. Good call!

What does a football Manager? Serious question.

Excellent question ... hard to contemplate candidates without understanding what’s required of them.

My guess is ...

(1) Runs the footy dept. The senior coach, the high performance manager, the head of recruitment, list manager all report to the footy manager. Football manager holds all those people accountable and makes sure they’re all working together. Ensures that they’re all properly resourced. Ensures footy dept compliance and governance is kept (eg salary cap, illicit drugs policy, etc). Does key hires within the football dept.

(2) Dishes out the discipline. When a player screws up at 3am, the Footy Manager is the person they call.

(3) It’s a strategic role that ensures that the footy dept mid / long term goals are being met. Start of the season will begin with something along the lines of “Right, where do we Realistically expect to finish on the ladder?” or “Right, whadda we godda do this year to finish top of the ladder?” and then ensure that the strategy is then followed.

(4) Manages up ... ie: ensures that the CEO and Board are providing the level of support that is needed to get the best out of the footy dept.

(5) Communicates / coordinates with the AFL / counterparts / AFLPA / etc with regards to any governance or compliance issues. When the AFL was dealing with Covid at the start of this year, it would have been the footy managers who would have been the club point person.

(6) Communicates / coordinates with other departments within the club (eg: PR, finances, etc)

IMO it would be quite a full-on role, and “how to AFL” wouldn’t seem to be a necessary prerequisite.

Last edited:
Franco Cozzo. Grand Sale. Would have got a better deal for Phillip's Treloar and Stephenson..

Why not?

Harvey Norman being my second choice.

Who's that bloke that sells tiles?
He would be an absolute beauty

Franco Cozzo. Grand Sale. Would have got a better deal for Phillip's Treloar and Stephenson..

Why not?

I was thinking Wynstan with a Y, but Nah, it’s Frank Walker from National Tiles

In most clubs the Footy manager makes sure everyone rolls up for training, there are balls and cones, has the phone list so people can be called up to help, they manage the non-playing part of the club. Usually on the match committee too and selection panel.

At AFL level they are part of a bigger team, with separate player welfare and contract managers as well. Historically guys like Graeme Richmond and Balme and Gubby Allan were the Coaches Eminence Gris, like a head kicking Sgt Major/spy who sniffed out who was rooting the trainers, who was hiding an injury, and who needed to be kicked up the arse for non-match day stuff. They let the coach get on with focussing on actual footy training and match day. I recall chatting with a few players back in the 1980's who hated Gubby Allan's guts but he did his job well and that took heat of Matthews. Balme was known as very straight talking, but not the thug he was as a player.

They can be a lot of other things too, depending on what support the coach and CEO need. Mentor to the coach, or the bad cop partner (or good cop, Yabby Jeans was the bad cop at Hawthorn, he would personally beat up players if they needed it), or the consigliere.

If you get called into the coaches office could be good, could be bad. If you get called into the Footy manager's office its probably bad.

Why not?

HELLO00000!
Frank Walker
from
National tiles.

The players would be like :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was thinking Wynstan with a Y, but Nah, it’s Frank Walker from National Tiles
🤣 he
In most clubs the Footy manager makes sure everyone rolls up for training, there are balls and cones, has the phone list so people can be called up to help, they manage the non-playing part of the club. Usually on the match committee too and selection panel.

At AFL level they are part of a bigger team, with separate player welfare and contract managers as well. Historically guys like Graeme Richmond and Balme and Gubby Allan were the Coaches Eminence Gris, like a head kicking Sgt Major/spy who sniffed out who was rooting the trainers, who was hiding an injury, and who needed to be kicked up the arse for non-match day stuff. They let the coach get on with focussing on actual footy training and match day. I recall chatting with a few players back in the 1980's who hated Gubby Allan's guts but he did his job well and that took heat of Matthews. Balme was known as very straight talking, but not the thug he was as a player.

They can be a lot of other things too, depending on what support the coach and CEO need. Mentor to the coach, or the bad cop partner (or good cop, Yabby Jeans was the bad cop at Hawthorn, he would personally beat up players if they needed it), or the consigliere.

If you get called into the coaches office could be good, could be bad. If you get called into the Footy manager's office its probably bad.

HELLO00000!
Frank Walker
from
National tiles.

The players would be like:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

HELLO00000!
Frank Walker
from
National tiles.

The players would be like:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Great post mate. Nice work.. I wouldn't call Balme a thug. Footy was different back then. Would have loved him playing for us.. cheers

🤣 he

Great post mate. Nice work.. I wouldn't call Balme a thug. Footy was different back then. Would have loved him playing for us.. cheers
Look I never saw him play, but he had a reputation as a thug in a pretty tough side. If you mean he hit them from in front fair enough, he wasn't Mal Brown-style cowardly sniper, but defo hard and mean. Also seems to have been a s**t bloke off the field back then. He lived in the same block of flats as my 5 foot nothing bro-in-law, Balme casually mocked him in passing saying "you're not worth a pinch of s**t" yeah well done hero, barrack a fella half your weight.

As a Football manager he was straight talking and I never heard of him bashing blokes, so he settled down, and grew some self-respect. As a young bloke? 100% DH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How old is he? Guessing south of 65, just up and resigns a high 6 figure white colour job, nothing to see here lol.

Who doe's Ed want to throw under the bus next?

How old is he? Guessing south of 65, just up and resigns a high 6 figure white colour job, nothing to see here lol.

Who doe's Ed want to throw under the bus next?

If I am correct the club presidency is a volunteered role and there is no salary applied to it. CEO and board members yes, sure Ed would be making squillions off endorsements etc. just by being president.

So in saying that Ed has a wish for the club to be successful on and off field, how he's going about that is speculative. From my view he's not doing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back