Injury Geoff Walsh's injury update, now brought to you by Blackmores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently he only broke it on the weekend..

Considering there is no mention of how, no doubt it was doing something stupid.
'No doubt' he was doing something stupid? Because JDG has such a history of partaking in stupid and reckless off field behaviour?

Turn it up mate. Let's preserve judgement for when we hear how it happened. Accidents can happen at home.

Typical Collingwood to send Greenwood in for surgery 4 days before the season begins.

Typical Collingwood to have an important young player 'have a home accident' and break his hand on the eve of one of the most important round 1 games in the last 7 years.

Typical Collingwood to understate the severity of Elliot's injury, which was initially suppose to only keep him out of action for a week or two max.

Here's a radical approach for the club's PR department:

OVERSTATE injuries.

If you think Elliot will be out for 3 weeks - say it's going to be 6, not 1.

People would much rather be given a harsh truth and be pleasantly surprised when he's back sooner than expected, rather than given a placebo that only enrages them more and more as the player is out for longer than they were initially told.

I'm sure our medical department is the same as every other club (although judging by injuries, the speed of recovery and surgery timing decisions, it never feels that way) the difference is in how we report and manage our injuries.

The club says Greenwood is out for 4-5 weeks and Degoey for 2-3 weeks. The actual time until we see them play an AFL will be longer. I'll put my house on it.

So just report that.

Say Greenwood is out for 7 weeks. Say DeGoey is done for more than a month.

Stop trying to hide behind a 'softly softly' approach. Stop manufacturing good news out of bad news.

You are not the Government. You don't need to manipulate, coddle and distract your voters every damn day.

It makes your media department look like liars. It makes your medical and rehab teams look inept.

And it ENRAGES fans. We just want the truth.

It's such a bad media policy and an inept public relations strategy from the club. You'd think someone there should know better.

You can't get angry at the truth, but you can be happy with the club if you expected Elliot or ANY injured player to be out for 6 weeks and they're back in 4.

Treat members who pay hundreds and in my damn case, thousands, like adults who can handle bad news.

Typical Collingwood to send Greenwood in for surgery 4 days before the season begins.

Typical Collingwood to have an important young player 'have a home accident' and break his hand on the eve of one of the most important round 1 games in the last 7 years.

Typical Collingwood to understate the severity of Elliot's injury, which was initially suppose to only keep him out of action for a week or two max.

OVERSTATE injuries.

People would much rather be given a harsh truth and be pleasantly surprised when he's back sooner than expected, rather than given a placebo that only enrages them more and more as the player is out for longer than they were initially told.

I'm sure our medical department is the same as every other club (although judging by injuries, the speed of recovery and surgery timing decisions, it never feels that way) the difference is in how we report and manage our injuries.

The club says Greenwood is out for 4-5 weeks and Degoey for 2-3 weeks. The actual time until we see them play an AFL will be longer. I'll put my house on it.

So just report that.

Stop trying to hide behind a 'softly softly' approach. Stop manufacturing good news out of bad news.

You are not the Government. You don't need to manipulate, coddle and distract your voters every damn day.

It makes your media department look like liars. It makes your medical and rehab teams look inept.

It's such a bad media policy and an inept public relations strategy from the club. You'd think someone there should know better.

You can't get angry at the truth, but you can be happy with the club if you expected Elliot or ANY injured player to be out for 6 weeks and they're back in 4.

Treat members who pay hundreds and in my damn case, thousands, like adults who can handle bad news.

Well put!

'No doubt' he was doing something stupid? Because JDG has such a history of partaking in stupid and reckless off field behaviour?

Turn it up mate. Let's preserve judgement for when we hear how it happened. Accidents can happen at home.

Not a reflection on JDG, more so the club not being open and honest about it. Take a chill pill lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't lie, I don't have any expectation that the club should tell the truth in relation to injuries, or that the supporters are entitled to all of the facts. There's no option to access a player's medical records as part of your membership package.

Having said that, I do like being entertained. If the club can manage to give me a chuckle whilst feeding me b******* then it will have done it's job well. The latest report on JDG fulfils this criteria splendidly. Good stuff.

And so it begins, the majority of preseason with everyone on track, the week out from round 1 and 3 players go down.
The Elliott injury annoys me, reported as very minor and turns out to be a month, not good enough.

OVERSTATE injuries.

So just report that.

giphy.gif

Nathan Buckley has revealed that Jordan De Goey broke his hand over the weekend while playing with his dog.

Lol, they treat us with such disdain that they trot out that excuse again. Last year Howe, this year DeGoey.

Our injury excuse version of the dog ate my homework. Honestly I am just about over this club and its constant BS.

Lol, they treat us with such disdain that they trot out that excuse again. Last year Howe, this year DeGoey.

Our injury excuse version of the dog ate my homework. Honestly I am just about over this club and its constant BS.

On a side note to the club's lies why don't they just name and shame in a circumstance like this? He's out, who cares we'll deal with it, but why protect a bloke that has clearly stuffed up?

No one comes out of it looking good, but if you make an example of JDG and not use the softly soflty crap it might actually go some way towards preventing it happening in the future...

Or maybe it was just a sly joke from the club and you can get your money back for the bulldozer rental?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back