Geoffrey Edelsten - 1943 – 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow the guy is not perfect.
Colourful character, who played his part in shaping the national comp we have today. A positive contribution.

Does it get boring taking the opposite position from reality just for the fun of it...to see what responses you get?

A crook and a spiv, and always was. Like many crooks and spivs over the years, he tried to use football clubs to launder his reputation. Some clubs were dumb enough (Sydney) or desperate enough (Carlton) to go along with it.

Also blame goes to media outlets like the Herald Sun who relentlessly gave him media coverage in the last 10-15 years, treating him like a colourful celebrity as opposed to the sordid crook that he was.

I recall that bizarre Friday night game a few years back when he appeared in the Carlton coaches box and spent the game there. Nobody seemed to have clue why he was there.
iirc Carlton did an auction for that spot as it was Malthouse breaking the games record as VFL/AFL coach. I guess if he won it they couldn't stop him from being there but it was a bad look for the club.

I went to some of those SCG games in 86 & 87, they were remarkable times, whatever you may have thought of the doctor.

Yeah same here . I lived in Wollongong fir a time in my teenage years. He certainly gave the. Then VFL a presence .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Swans could have worn black arm bands last night but chose not to, says a bit

The Swans have a good understanding of their history. Good on them for seeing this clown for who he really was:

What’s an AFL license worth? On 6 May 1988, 32 years ago today, it was a paltry $10.

That was the token price the then VFL paid to take back the license of the Sydney Swans from failed owners Powerplay and effectively save the club from football oblivion.

It was a dark day that turned into a time-changing golden moment for the Sydney Swans, which had struggled from one drama to another after becoming the first privately owned AFL club when it was bought by Dr Geoffrey Edelsten.

Edelsten, a general practitioner turned entrepreneur originally from Melbourne, bought the Swans on 31 July 1985. He paid a reported total price of $6 million, which included the repayment of all club debts and a license fee to the League.

Sydney Lord Mayor Doug Sutherland took over as chairman as Powerplay purchased Edelsten’s shares in the club in October 1986.

Didn't see the usual contact numbers either, but the article I read said "no suspicious circumstances" which I've usually read as another typical euphemism. I may be completely wrong though.
At his age I think you start to look to euthenasia rather than suicide. Given his medical background, he would now what to do and how to get the things to do it.

Thanks for giving us Brynne.
Hope she gets off the meth charges and continues working at the Karaoke bar.

🥰 🥰 🥰
iu
You have your Brynne, I’ll take Gabi over her any day!
81C18A7A-7625-4737-803D-649E80B9E657.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to work at one of the medical clinics that Edelstein owned in the late 2000s - There was about 10 ? or so clinics under his Superclinic brand - one year the work xmas party was at the Crown Paladium a week after he and Brynn were married there - I got the feeling he just booked the whole thing for the week maybe?

By far the most over the top and lavish event that I've ever attended - wasn't gonna complain about a free feed and waiters basically waiting for you to finish a beer and top you up for another one -

Geoff and Brynn made a fashionably late appearance to it all - it was pretty weird as everyone seemed compelled to applaud when they came in? Truly weird - I can't remember exactly what they were wearing now but i do remember both their outfits were basically ridiculous

my girlfriend and my colleague at one stage went up to Brynn after a few drinks to say hello to her and just suss her out - She was sitting at table full of old men - they had a cursory and courteous conversation and the two of them came away basically feeling sorry for her -

anyway that's my story to contribute

The end of an era. Private ownership in the competition was always a high risk business. He gave it one heck of a go though. The Swans of 1986 and 1987 were incredible.

They needed a coach who could handle it. Tom Hafey was the perfect fit.

The open cheque book meant they could get just about anyone. And they did.

Greg Williams
Gerard Healy
Jim Edmond
Merv Neagle
Glenn Coleman

They had arguably the most marketable footballer in the game in Warwick Capper, who sold that many bums on seats in Sydney it became box office footy.

Behind it was this bloke very few knew of...that was the Doc.

Mike Willesee's bio included coverage of his role in the Swans owner ship, a good read.

The first charge wasn’t his fault, they hoodwinked him into thinking they were real nurses!
View attachment 1153090

It's an easy mistake to make.

They hoodwinked me too. And then I found out they weren't real nurses.

They only took advatanage of me another 138 times before I learnt my lesson...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back