Society/Culture Geoffrey Rush harassment allegations

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Regardless of the truth or otherwise of the allegations, it appears to have been an unfortunate decision by Rush to take this to court.
stick to camberwell heritage overlay. i saw him on bourke street the week before chrissy with his adult-aged young daughter. swanston street and bourke and the street was packed. Looked his sexagenarian age, same era as you slits, just wish old farts would be a little introspective about carnal appeal. Now he stars in Storm Boy. i wanna see him on the red carpet of the second iteration. It is truly (rhetoric fallacy) truly artistic error to not have Noah Taylor have some cameo or something, at a minimum, as an old junkie.

/poe'slaw

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Regardless of the truth or otherwise of the allegations, it appears to have been an unfortunate decision by Rush to take this to court. It suppose he saw it as necessary to retrieve his reputation. Not sure that was ever going to happen, no matter the case's outcome.

I agree with the general thrust of blackcat, whom I interpret as having issues with trial by media, when in so many of such cases, no conviction of wrongdoing has been recorded.
Regardless of the veracity of what happened, he has a reasonable case, remember this is rush vs media not Norvill.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
stick to camberwell heritage overlay. i saw him on bourke street the week before chrissy with his adult-aged young daughter. swanston street and bourke and the street was packed. Looked his sexagenarian age, same era as you slits, just wish old farts would be a little introspective about carnal appeal. Now he stars in Storm Boy. i wanna see him on the red carpet of the second iteration. It is truly (rhetoric fallacy) truly artistic error to not have Noah Taylor have some cameo or something, at a minimum, as an old junkie.

/poe'slaw
Oh door ... that way->...

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
In our case it seems Aussie ‘me too’ means we need our own whipping boy.

Where does Rush identify targets and pursue them?
Where does rush victimise those who reject him and cruel their careers?

Again australia fails badly in proclaiming our own Weinstein. Funny cos there’s a couple of already outed predators to look at

And he is a damn fine actor. One of the best.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Where does rush victimise those who reject him and cruel their careers?
they all asked him for a reference and open doors in hollywood. who was using whom?

Very difficult....cult of denial...culture of discussion and daring to discuss difficult points or even joints..
Mmmwah!!!

dont worry, men have behaved badly for time immemorial to get laid.
Now there is a criminal code to prosecute for rape.
The question that is barely raised, what point on this spectrum does this become a #moralscare and #victorianera puritanism and chaste relations. To me it seems that puts feminism back a century, they seek to bound women's sexuality in handcuffs and corsets and chastitybelts. And not the Richard Wolstencroft's version at Hellfire

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apart from the IPA and Chris Berg no one seeks to defend liberty.

Rupert is usually on the right side much to the outrage of the bien pensants who want legal protection against their feeling being hurt.

they all asked him for a reference and open doors in hollywood. who was using whom?

#buyersremorse

To me it seems that puts feminism back a century, they seek to bound women's sexuality in handcuffs and corsets and chastitybelts

Hollywood echo chamber.

Rush didn't want the trial either but he was obligated to defend himself.

People need to stop telling unverifiable stories to newspapers.
Maybe newspapers should verify before going to print?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Of course. That's why they're paying out the likes of Rush and Gayle.

If people have serious allegations to make, they should be going via the police. Can't have the media destroying people willy-nilly.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I am pretty sure they would have run something like that past a lawyer before printing.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2012/oct/10/jimmy-savile-bbc

With the BBC taking a bashing from the tabloids over the Jimmy Savile affair, Michael White wonders why the "tough tabloids" themselves didn't nail the man.

It's a fair question. After all, many people have said Savile's predilection for young girls was something of an open secret. Former Sunday Express editor Brian Hitchen admitted knowing about it 45 years ago.

Paul Connew, when editor of the Sunday Mirror in 1994, did have "credible and convincing" evidence from two women who claimed Savile had been guilty of abusing them at a children's home.

Though "totally and utterly convinced" they were telling the truth, the paper's lawyers, after a careful assessment, decided it wasn't strong enough to risk publication.
(See postscript below). I am sure the same situation occurred elsewhere

I am pretty sure they would have run something like that past a lawyer before printing.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2012/oct/10/jimmy-savile-bbc

With the BBC taking a bashing from the tabloids over the Jimmy Savile affair, Michael White wonders why the "tough tabloids" themselves didn't nail the man.

It's a fair question. After all, many people have said Savile's predilection for young girls was something of an open secret. Former Sunday Express editor Brian Hitchen admitted knowing about it 45 years ago.

Paul Connew, when editor of the Sunday Mirror in 1994, did have "credible and convincing" evidence from two women who claimed Savile had been guilty of abusing them at a children's home.

Though "totally and utterly convinced" they were telling the truth, the paper's lawyers, after a careful assessment, decided it wasn't strong enough to risk publication. (See postscript below). I am sure the same situation occurred elsewhere
I think it depends on the person, I imagine some newspapers have cosy relationships with media personalities and politicians.

I recall you mentioning Savile before and it seems that it really wasn't a secret nor do I think that they didn't have enough evidence, such a shame that they didn't print in that case.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I recall you mentioning Savile before and it seems that it really wasn't a secret nor do I think that they didn't have enough evidence, such a shame that they didn't print in that case.

Yep it was terrible. I dont think it was necessarily the lack of evidence but more the threat of losing a defamation case and getting a very large bill.

see the Jeffrey Archer defamation case which he won but then got done for perjury.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it depends on the person, I imagine some newspapers have cosy relationships with media personalities and politicians.

Most mainstream media organisations have in-house lawyers who oversight the news and opinion. And anything contentious goes outside for further vetting.

Rather controversial tweet from the Justinian I thought.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
She never went to the paper.

Fair enough, seems it doesn't apply to the actress. Somebody had to have whispered to the newspaper for it to contact the theatre's ED. Something not considered worthy of a formal complaint then developed into a full-blown assassination attempt.

Back