Society/Culture Geoffrey Rush named Australian of the Year

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
First things first; it's through, not thru.

Secondly, I don't disagree with your post, but you're a bit agitated. Calm down a bit.
it is a blowback to Tinder & louche hook-up campus mores so Amherst Brown liberal beltway colleges are supercharged by Obama's title9 policies evo thinks the Frankfurt school "tear it down" tract of AdornoHabermasMarcuse et al none of which I have read, and i cant even remember the founder of the FSmovement. If you have not lived through an awkward sexual interlude then you really have not lived, and that is generic, not a reference to Gethelred, but lets make a differentiation between that and rape. Rape is a criminal act, I refer to an awkward experience, no less, no more. Lots of Victorian era morality aboundingabounds today. If one does not like being hit on, one can skip in volte face as adult. But to conflate d'affaire Weinstein* with all'n'sundry behaviour defies intelligence.

once it is leaked to the press you know murdoch tabloids do what murdoch tabloids do and scandalize any validity it once may have had contemporaneously. And we know what the NYTimes have done to their credibility pushing RussiaGATE with Rachel Maddow

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
it is a blowback to Tinder & louche hook-up campus mores so Amherst Brown liberal beltway colleges are supercharged by Obama's title9 policies evo thinks the Frankfurt school "tear it down" tract of AdornoHabermasMarcuse et al none of which I have read, and i cant even remember the founder of the FSmovement. If you have not lived through an awkward sexual interlude then you really have not lived, and that is generic, not a reference to Gethelred, but lets make a differentiation between that and rape. Rape is a criminal act, I refer to an awkward experience, no less, no more. Lots of Victorian era morality abounding today. If one does not like being hit on, one can skip in volte face as adult. But to conflate d'affaire Weinstein with all'n'sundry behaviour defies intelligence.
Like I said, I don't disagree.

I'm not just referring to sex, though. I'm referring to the behaviour of all those with power over others who use that power against them.

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
solipsism.

since when is flirtation devoid of an eros lens
qualifier: just mebbe it is different for the opposite sex. but the caveat was sort of covered with the appelation of solipsism. i have heard the theory expounded that part of the heterosexual female sexual lure is to attract both women and men with one's brion and elan. Affirmed and sponsored attractiveness.

owen87

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
... and I'm not saying it will, or that we could ever get there.

Does a journey cease to be important because the destination is difficult to reach? Should we cease to try to approach zero road deaths because it's nearly impossible? Workplace deaths and injuries?

Just because something is an ideal doesn't mean seeking it is a bad idea, or is wrong. Perfection is a static picture, a snapshot of a moment in time; to chase it is folly, but to strive for it worthy.
I think the concept of utopia is fine, striving for improvement and such. Just that it needs to be grounded in reality and what's actually achievable by real people.

AM

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Always a tough call for the female caught-up in these matters.

In those brief moments between a harassment, assault or threat, and imagining what to do, our imagination presents us with an array of possible actions we can take. Those precious moments are crucial to our wellbeing. If our imagination is full of the ugly ways that the authorities interact with people like us, if it is cluttered with the doubt and distrust we know we are likely to face from people who don’t know us (and some who do), we might be unable even to conceive of doing anything more than disclosing to a person we trust, let alone turning to an authority.
AEON

campbell

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yet, I no women, who think differently that what is perceived as the norm,and have heard said,I wish that guy wouldn’t look at me like he is u dressing me.
Like seriously, poor bastard,was addressing her in a meeting.

I just think, some,can and do, view abuse differently to the norm......

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

MC Bad Genius

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
Yet, I no women, who think differently that what is perceived as the norm,and have heard said,I wish that guy wouldn’t look at me like he is u dressing me.
Like seriously, poor bastard,was addressing her in a meeting.

I just think, some,can and do, view abuse differently to the norm......

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm assuming it's just the Bigfooty app screwing with your grammar/spelling, but I really don't know what you're trying to say here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Always a tough call for the female caught-up in these matters.

AEON
the problem on both occasions was bipartisan flirtation occurred, to a point, and flirtation generally or axiomatically includes ratchet'ing to different strata. I see this primarily a case that Rush does not look like Pierce Brosnan nor Clooney, and was about sixty. It was very easy to tar him with Harvey Weinstein* equivalence.

*already I have voiced my concern that HW never received due process, just like putative victims never received due process.

Dont reciprocate with the sixty yo and ask for a reference for a US greencard or agent invitation. Maintain complete professionalism. Now I can rebut this to save you the time, like Neil Armfield said, the rehearsal space with inevitably have some flirtation in the air, it is a process of exploring. There. The problem is the solipsism, the American liberal media trying HW in the public court, and this influencing everything that has gone on before. If Rush was such a sleaze, why did actors seek his imprimatur and reference for their career. If he is such a sleaze, why does his reference mean a lick? This is all tied to Weinstein revisionism.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, New York Rangers
I would hate to be a male in this me to generation.....
Why? Any young male today is learning some very useful information on what sexual harassment and assault are. Meanwhile their grandfathers can't do anything but quietly run out the clock and hope nobody calls attention to their past behaviour.

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
my edit for @MC Bad Genius
Yet I know women who think differently that what is the current Zeitgeist menSCARE norm,
and I have personally heard, "I wish that guy wouldn’t look at me like he is undressing me".

Like seriously, the poor bastard was merely addressing her in a meeting, and not undressing her with his eyes.

I just think, some people, both men and women, can and do, view abuse differently to the zeitgeist hysteria.​

I'm assuming it's just the Bigfooty app screwing with your grammar/spelling, but I really don't know what you're trying to say here.
FTFY mcBG

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Why? Any young male today is learning some very useful information on what sexual harassment and assault are.
absolute bullshit. Anyone with adequate parenting knows the expectation of good behaviour.

Now, after issuing that rebuttal, ... a concurrent position: like the fake QC, former Senator George Brandis and Attorney General and budding librarian... we live in a liberal society so we are provided certain freedoms. One such freedom, is the freedom to comport oneself with such bad behaviour. And utter offensive speech. This I can defend. It is up to me to set my personal mores and limits.

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmm, so climate change was not a significant issue for the average person as little as six years ago.
half ambiguous, my first thought is you are inverting it, and saying it has been an issue for over a dozen(20?) years for the public (re:critical mass). I agree, that is why Rudd said it was the moral concern of our times, because he considered the polis to be with him when it came time at the poll-booth.

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
i wish to reiterate:
criminal behaviour is criminal behaviour
-sexual assault and sexual harassment has always existed as crimes and misdemeanours, albeit, it is prosecuted in minor proportion to actual complaints. This does not neutralise validity of the English criminal system, I merely recognise the flaws for victims.
-arts industry is notoriously louche, this is underwritten by both sexes equally /no value judgement exists on my part.
there must be a proportional and contemporaneous arbitration that provides both parties with fairness and due process. Scandal media to the world's media consumption, is high gauge overreach and skapegoats on this proportionality measure.

-my concern lies with an irreconcilable received accent versus lascivious libido of a sexagenarian[sic] when their opposite is in her mid-twenties.* This appears a common specious front of all thespians. Mirror* heal thyself [sic]

*caveat: I consumed available scuttlebutt that I seek to undermine.

jason pm

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fortitude Valley Diehards. Chelsea.
A brilliant actor and a top bloke (met him briefly many years ago). Couldn't care less what he does in his private life
Do you have a wife/daughter/granddaughter? I know if it was mine in that situation I'd want to knock his block off.

Unless you are a woman and been in such a lopsided power situation it would be almost impossible to put yourself in her shoes and comment from a position of knowledge on what she should have said or done.

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Do you have a wife/daughter/granddaughter?
#fallacy

why does this need to be rolled out? A single white male is capable of understanding societal expectations and law (criminality). Been that way for a century, a sentient person questions this fallacy, and questions why would you assert taking back the night? we have had a criminal code and expectations of behaviour for everyone for well over a fricken century. Humans will commit crime. One of the sexes who will be a victim will be female. The other subset of victims of crime will be male. #fuxsake. I wont pay for d!ckhead males who commit d!ckhead crimes against women. Why should I pay for others crimes? This assertion is illiberal. There are other societies with illiberal criminal codes but I am not choosing to live there.

what you are looking at is:
the confluence of i)moral scare ii)HRC v Trump and Trump's words iii)Harvey W (Woody Allen) iv)Hollwood louche* mores v)solipsism vi)Victorian morality* redux vii)echo chamber media viii)dying fourth estate febrile emotive clickbait iix)'liberal' Beltway papers/journals-of-record broadsheets self-selective demographic written-copy editorials ix)Tinder sex on tap x)Washington Title8 legislation + policy in Seppo country xi) misandry(patriarchy?) and trying to wedge the sexes xii) > xii+ plus other material factors I cannot put a finger to right now.
major one; underwritten by solipsism, which is the writ-large fallacy

one cannot criminalise criminality. Neoplasm is paradox. It exists that crime is illegal and have according punishment with an according aim of deterrence. Cannot prevent men committing crime. Men, I am sorry to say to you jason pm , men will commit crime against the other sex also. That is part of the subset of said criminal behaviour.

*not contradicting my position, louche v Victorian morality, Western late twentieth century morality hit a balanced positive sweetspot of sexual freedoms. I put this entire zeitgeist arising to his apogee because Trump got 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

What do you reckon Jane? GuruJane

here is some HRC for KissStephanie

Last edited:

jason pm

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fortitude Valley Diehards. Chelsea.
#fallacy

why does this need to be rolled out? A single white male is capable of understanding societal expectations and law (criminality). Been that way for a century, a sentient person questions this fallacy, and questions why would you assert taking back the night? we have had a criminal code and expectations of behaviour for everyone for well over a fricken century. Humans will commit crime. One of the sexes who will be a victim will be female. The other subset of victims of crime will be male. #fuxsake. I wont pay for d!ckhead males who commit d!ckhead crimes against women. Why should I pay for others crimes? This assertion is illiberal. There are other societies with illiberal criminal codes but I am not choosing to live there.

what you are looking at is:
the confluence of i)moral scare ii)HRC v Trump and Trump's words iii)Harvey W (Woody Allen) iv)Hollwood louche* mores v)solipsism vi)Victorian morality* redux vii)echo chamber media viii)dying fourth estate febrile emotive clickbait iix)'liberal' Beltway papers/journals-of-record broadsheets self-selective demographic written-copy editorials ix)Tinder sex on tap x)Washington Title8 legislation + policy in Seppo country xi) misandry(patriarchy?) and trying to wedge the sexes xii) > xii+ plus other material factors I cannot put a finger to right now.

one cannot criminalise criminality. Neoplasm is paradox. It exists that crime is illegal and have according punishment with an according aim of deterrence. Cannot prevent men committing crime. Men, I am sorry to say to you jason pm , men will commit crime against the other sex also. That is part of the subset of said criminal behaviour.

*not contradicting my position, louche v Victorian morality, Western late twentieth century morality hit a balanced positive sweetspot of sexual freedoms. I put this entire zeitgeist arising to his apogee because Trump got 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

What do you reckon Jane? GuruJane

here is some HRC for KissStephanie

Thanks for the detailed reply. My postulation was that to truly understand a situation like the one being discussed you have to experience it for yourself which for me (an old separated white male) is impossible. I have zero problem with discussion on it or any subject, my reply was merely part of said discussion, hell I comment on a lot of stuff I have never experienced.

#empathy

Top Bottom