Society/Culture Geoffrey Rush named Australian of the Year

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks for the detailed reply. My postulation was that to truly understand a situation like the one being discussed you have to experience it for yourself which for me (an old separated white male) is impossible. I have zero problem with discussion on it or any subject, my reply was merely part of said discussion, hell I comment on a lot of stuff I have never experienced.

#empathy
the problem with individual apportioned empathy, is the said perpetrators require due process and contemporaneous critique in the appropriate arbitration forum. We don't have that. We have a weaponized media trial using all the tabloids at Murdoch's disposal, where he tries to mine the last penny from his fourth estate.

An element of what I have elucidated, is the quandary: there is NO neat solution. Can Yael Stone find a neat just resolution. I doubt she can, and she herself made this point. There is no recourse to being hit-on. Women would need to right this disparity and make a distribution of women tigers like Angelina Jolie which/who/feminine distribution took the reins in pursuit of male partners. (ofcourse this happens now, albeit, on this Victorian distribution from heterosexual ranks). But there is little one can do but laugh if a man looks to flash his penis at you. It is risible. If one says laughter then invites a physical retaliation, that in itself, is an illegal act, in follow up to dropping one's drawers in front of someone, so you have racked up two, count them, 2, potential illegal acts. One which is greater than a misdemeanour, and should see you locked up. Whether male or female as victim. If we seek aspiration to Victorian morality, we wont have women flirt with potential suitor, nor an elder, senior, male squire, but this has occurred, one can easily prevent the ratcheting tension at higher strata, by never flirting to begin with. For legit true Victorian era stuff, you can require a chaperone for supervision, but then one responds, like Neil Armfield did, there is a necessary air of flirtation in rehearsal room for exposition, to play-out the characters.

What the zeitgeist seeks to change is the disparity in power. And the older males holding all the cards at their disposal. They fail to recognise, part of the equation is time and experience and the rise(ing) through the ranks to the top echelons. And this has disproportionally been men rising through the ranks because that is how society comported itself.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
that is Yeats and not Hanna Gadsby.

There are traits to those who hold the upper echelons of industries, common to both men and women, and undergraduate psychology students would have no doubt come across this distribution. People behave in ways that are not acceptable in polite society. This is not an apologia, I am asserting that being human is not a neat etiquette school at Wesley or MLC. There are all dints and corruptions in our make-up. We have a criminal code which seeks to rein in and deter our worst excesses.

We have also seen campaigning in the media with non-profit charities, charity is the new feel good drug. Danny Green does a punch campaign, which I find quite absurd and lacking in self awareness. Ofcourse, boxing gyms and training centres speak of the discipline taught in training and boxing education, just like martial arts. My point, lots of folks are getting-off on this charity boondoggle, making themselves feel good. Apart from the IPA and Chris Berg no one seeks to defend liberty. We have unparalleled freedom from time yore, but now we are reining this in. I posit, that a comfortable life in the West in a modern city like Melbourne or Sydney, has contrived its own simulacra tension, with a little help from the Beltway states in y'America[sic].

guess what, below is men being violent, but exercising freedom to act in any way, extreme or other. A growing city with myriad other epidemiological* inputs; tiffs occur.
https://dailyreview.com.au/bernard-keane-sydneys-lockout-laws-are-based-on-lies/37453/
https://www.crikey.com.au/2014/01/2...faxs-shameless-campaign-of-misrepresentation/

If men can't get laid because of their aesthetic endowment nor their charisma, they will resort to other means. If this same psychological predisposition women also don't have their putative talents recognised, they will also resort to alternative means for acclaim. We are all one, in this human experiment, and this phenomenon will live and die on its validity, as judged through the lens of history. how pretentious and navel-gazing does that sound? <very>

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tim Paine, Tim Cahill
dubious and questionable and seemingly misunderstood.. I can't equate what I know of the actor with what I see In the media..

I thought I met him once and and it was a silly thing..

but it doesn't have anything to do with this..

the point is that I know that everyone;s version of the truth is different.. everyone thinks that something was wrong and it wasn't
and then again that things happen that someone thinks that it is shameful...

don't know quite what to think and nor do I look to put a noose around someone..

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Regardless of the truth or otherwise of the allegations, it appears to have been an unfortunate decision by Rush to take this to court. It suppose he saw it as necessary to retrieve his reputation. Not sure that was ever going to happen, no matter the case's outcome.

I agree with the general thrust of blackcat, whom I interpret as having issues with trial by media, when in so many of such cases, no conviction of wrongdoing has been recorded.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Regardless of the truth or otherwise of the allegations, it appears to have been an unfortunate decision by Rush to take this to court. It suppose he saw it as necessary to retrieve his reputation. Not sure that was ever going to happen, no matter the case's outcome. I hope he didn't pay for the legal advice he received.

I agree with the general thrust of blackcat, whom I interpret as having issues with trial by media, when in so many of such cases, no conviction of wrongdoing has been recorded.

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tim Paine, Tim Cahill
shining a light on the methods of persecution.. and also deriding those that know who they are dealing with..

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Regardless of the truth or otherwise of the allegations, it appears to have been an unfortunate decision by Rush to take this to court.
stick to camberwell heritage overlay. i saw him on bourke street the week before chrissy with his adult-aged young daughter. swanston street and bourke and the street was packed. Looked his sexagenarian age, same era as you slits, just wish old farts would be a little introspective about carnal appeal. Now he stars in Storm Boy. i wanna see him on the red carpet of the second iteration. It is truly (rhetoric fallacy) truly artistic error to not have Noah Taylor have some cameo or something, at a minimum, as an old junkie.

/poe'slaw

Sainteric

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
Regardless of the truth or otherwise of the allegations, it appears to have been an unfortunate decision by Rush to take this to court. It suppose he saw it as necessary to retrieve his reputation. Not sure that was ever going to happen, no matter the case's outcome.

Regardless of the veracity of what happened, he has a reasonable case, remember this is rush vs media not Norvill.

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tim Paine, Tim Cahill
stick to camberwell heritage overlay. i saw him on bourke street the week before chrissy with his adult-aged young daughter. swanston street and bourke and the street was packed. Looked his sexagenarian age, same era as you slits, just wish old farts would be a little introspective about carnal appeal. Now he stars in Storm Boy. i wanna see him on the red carpet of the second iteration. It is truly (rhetoric fallacy) truly artistic error to not have Noah Taylor have some cameo or something, at a minimum, as an old junkie.

/poe'slaw
Oh door ... that way->...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
In our case it seems Aussie ‘me too’ means we need our own whipping boy.

Where does Rush identify targets and pursue them?
Where does rush victimise those who reject him and cruel their careers?

Again australia fails badly in proclaiming our own Weinstein. Funny cos there’s a couple of already outed predators to look at

And he is a damn fine actor. One of the best.

Top Bottom