nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
FFS, how difficult is this to understand.

I stated that art is no longer relevant. Chief then said its used as a communications tool. Fair enough, that's his opinion.

I then said it hasn't been relevant for 100 years..

Wow, I've never noticed a poster I disagree with 100% of the time like i do you. I've not seen one post of yours that I agree with or respect.

As for the OP, i love Geoffrey rush and think he's one of the best actors around. I also don't follow this award, at all so couldn't say who would be a more appropriate winner.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
My life's great skilts.
I've got two fantastic kids, a wife, a house and a job. That's what I'm focused on.

Would be better if the Bombers won a flag sometime soon though....

So, it's true. Ignorance is bliss. Of what use are you to your family if you only make available to them such a limited take on life. You are consigning another generation to an artistic and intellectual desert, the occupation of which you seem to so vigorously celebrate.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolton,Clippers,Falcons,Mariners
So, it's true. Ignorance is bliss. Of what use are you to your family if you only make available to them such a limited take on life. You are consigning another generation to an artistic and intellectual desert, the occupation of which you seem to so vigorously celebrate.

Don't know what the problem is here skilts. Its all a matter of terminology. You classify Dickens and Twain as artists. I classify them as writers. Doesn't mean either of us don't respect their body of work.

I have got about 500 books at home. Because I classify the writers of those books as authors and not artists does that mean I live in an ''artistic and intellectual desert'. Of course not.

As I said, I understand yours and Chief's POV. I really do.
I just happen to disagree. Maybe having a more pragmatic nature I'm inclined to look at things in a more black and white sense than in a misty sense.

I prefer to think of art as being pictures (drawing and polaroid), sculptures etc.
So not one painter or sculptor has said one single thing with their work in hundreds of years?

Be honest: you can't even name a single painter beyond the big names like Picasso and Monet, (and maybe you saw that movie with Elle MacPherson's boobs about that guy in the Blue Mountains but you don't remember who he was) let alone a single sculptor.

Some poetry I guess could be classified as art but seriously poetry as a communication form is basically non existent these days - save for Barmy Army and football chants.:D

I understand your POV though and get where you're coming from.
And yet you still put smilies in your posts as if having no idea what art actually is, is something to laugh about.

Normally I'd hesitate to include someone's family in an argument, but this is a valid point.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So not one painter or sculptor has said one single thing with their work in hundreds of years?
Not for a long time IMO.

Been overtaken by mass media and the digital age.
Be honest: you can't even name a single painter beyond the big names like Picasso and Monet, (and maybe you saw that movie with Elle MacPherson's boobs about that guy in the Blue Mountains but you don't remember who he was) let alone a single sculptor.
Correct (except for the Elle McPherson bit). Art in that context doesn't appeal. And given that most art galleries have to be subsidized by the government, then I'm hardly on my own. Put it this way, if it was hugely popular then they could do it as a stand alone and not need to go begging to government.
And yet you still put smilies in your posts as if having no idea what art actually is, is something to laugh about.

Has no appeal to me like it has no appeal to most people Chief.

But you like it and good for you. World would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same things.

Upton Sinclair

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not for a long time IMO.

Been overtaken by mass media and the digital age.

Which you conveniently sweep aside because you don't consider it as fitting your very narrow-minded definition of art.

Are you saying this digital piece of art didn't communicate a powerful message?

220px-Barack_Obama_Hope_poster.jpg

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Which you conveniently sweep aside because you don't consider it as fitting your very narrow-minded definition of art.

Are you saying this digital piece of art didn't communicate a powerful message?

220px-Barack_Obama_Hope_poster.jpg

So to disprove my argument that art has been overtaken in this digital age, you produce, a 'digital' photograph.

Upton Sinclair

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
So to disprove my argument that art has been overtaken in this digital age, you produce, a 'digital' photograph.

Nooo, it was to disprove your point that digital media isn't art. Like I said, you have a terminally narrow-minded definition of what is and isn't art. It is art and it is art that can and does communicate powerful messages every single day, despite your half-arsed attempts to deny it.

You seem to know as much about art as you do about heroin or the environmental movement, i.e. sfa. No wonder you hate Teh Left so much, you're really hating a caricature you've constructed in your mind that has no basis in reality.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
And what about this sculpture, do you think it isn't communicating a powerful message?

If you showed that to 1000 people without the accompanying explanation, then I could almost guarantee that 990 of them would not even know who it was.

Upton Sinclair

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you showed that to 1000 people without the accompanying explanation, then I could almost guarantee that 990 of them would not even know who it was.

So we can lump statistics into the myriad of things you know nothing about but are prepared to confidently assert yourself an authority on?

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Nooo, it was to disprove your point that digital media isn't art. Like I said, you have a terminally narrow-minded definition of what is and isn't art. It IS aart and it is art that can and does communicate powerful messages every single day, despite your ha;lf-arsed attempts to deny it.

In your opinion.

What does it matter anyway?
Who cares?

You call it art. I call it media or television or writing.
My definition of art is what basically sits in art galleries with a few odd exceptions.

But if you want to sit around and call everyone an artist then I'm not going to stop you.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So we can lump statistics into the myriad of things you know nothing about but are prepared to confidently assert yourself an authority on?

BP, I would be happy to stand on Bourke St with you and show that picture to 1000 passes by.

What do you reckon?

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
While I understand the discrimination between art and literature/music/poetry/drama/dance etc, most people would collectively refer to them as "the arts". It is a fluid term though ...

But even if we narrow it to art, there is plenty of evidence within the last century that art is still a powerful form of communication. One of the most striking pieces of art has already been quoted in this thread (the Obama/Hope picture), but what about the photo of the children running from war in Vietnam? Or the propaganda art in USA, Germany, China and pretty much every CPU try at war? Or even more simply, national flags?

These images all hold significance for a lot of people and communicate a message through them. I think you should probably rephrase your position to be that art has meant nothing to you personally for the last hundred years.

Upton Sinclair

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
BP, I would be happy to stand on Bourke St with you and show that picture to 1000 passes by.

What do you reckon?

You'd probably get the same response as you'd get if you stood in the Washington Mall with a picture of the Burke and Wills statue, or the statue of Trafalgar. But if you asked the people to whom the sculpture is communicating I'm sure you'd find most Americans would find it and its message immediately recognisable.

The problem with most of your assumptions about art is that you are assuming that everyone else is as ignorant and insular as yourself.

Back