To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
220px-Piss_Christ_by_Serrano_Andres_%281987%29.jpg

Meh pedesterian. Mind you I have seen a defence of piss Christ by Sister Wendy who says "although its title is juvenile attention grabbing as a meditation on the horror and reality of Crucifixion and the body fluids which are spilled in that process it does have some merit"

Monniehawk

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Monbulk, Upwey, Strathmore, St Alba
  1. You call it art. I call it media or television or writing.
My definition of art is what basically sits in art galleries with a few odd exceptions.
But if you want to sit around and call everyone an artist then I'm not going to stop you.
If you want to define Art as what happens in galleries then I'm not going to stop you.
I just think you are wrong.

By a loooooooong way.
But, up to you.

Anecdote:
I remember a cartoon as a youngster, with a group of toffs critiquing a gallery exhibition.
They sang the praises of one: a geometric pattern amongst other modern works on the wall, lauding it's minimalist nature and assigning a host of interpretations of what the artist was trying to convey.

It was the air conditioning vent.

Ignorance comes from all directions.

Upton Sinclair

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you want to define Art as what happens in galleries then I'm not going to stop you.
I just think you are wrong.

Oh, I know he is wrong, I think it would be instructive to get back to basics for just a moment:

Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics, whereas disciplines such as anthropology, sociology and psychology analyze its relationship with humans and generations.
Traditionally, the term art was used to refer to any skill or mastery. This conception changed during the Romantic period, when art came to be seen as "a special faculty of the human mind to be classified with religion and science".[1] Generally, art is made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions.

Monniehawk

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Monbulk, Upwey, Strathmore, St Alba
Oh, I know he is wrong, I think it would be instructive to get back to basics for just a moment:
Traditionally, the term art was used to refer to any skill or mastery. This conception changed during the Romantic period, when art came to be seen as "a special faculty of the human mind to be classified with religion and science".[1] Generally, art is made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions.

Whereby, it seems, it has patently failed with some. :D

Back